Lost my right eye

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
laforg
Motorcycle: 1988 1500GL

Lost my right eye

Postby laforg » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:36 pm

I ride a 1988 GL1500 SE I picked up on Craigslist for $600.00.. Well, a few months ago I got into an argument with a shattered cutoff wheel on the angle grinder. The wheel won. I've lost my right eye, they are working on the prosthetic now. Here's where my problem came in: I can't turn my head far enough to the right to see if the lane is clear in the mirror's blind spot. Sooooo....
I got on eBay and found a neat little flush-mount automobile rear-view camera, and a 4.3" monitor. The camera mounted on the side of the right-hand passengers glove pocket. The monitor, of course, I mounted right above the instrument cluster. IT WORKS BEAUTIFULLY! It gives me a 170 degree view of everything beside me on that side. Right hand lane change? Check the mirror, check the monitor, slide on over (or not).
Handicaps don't have to keep us off our Wings!!

salty1
Motorcycle: 98 GL1500 C, 00 GL1500CF, 06 GL1800 3A

Re: Lost my right eye

Postby salty1 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:13 pm

Most sorry about your eye! Damn I bett that hurt. Sounds like your on the mend. Your camera/display system sounds very interesting, any chance you could post some pics? :P

laforg

Postby laforg » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:00 pm

Here's a couple of pics of the setup, sorry, the sun was at the wrong angle to get a pic as you see the screen. But you get the idea. And yeah, it hurt. Felt like somebody hit me in the face with a 5 pound hammer, bled like a stuck pig.

salty1
Motorcycle: 98 GL1500 C, 00 GL1500CF, 06 GL1800 3A

Postby salty1 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:01 pm

Very clever and good thinking :!:

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Awesome use of technology. A bright spot on your horizon. Be safe.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:46 am

A great solution to a possible dangerous situation. You must really enjoy the ride and I'm glad to see your disability isn't stopping you. Awesome attitude!!!

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:22 am

I really hate to hear about the loss of your eye. But I am glad you haven't let it stop you from pursuing what you enjoy.

I don't know if I could bounce back from an injury like that. It would take a bit of time if I did.

Good luck and ride safe. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:35 pm

Well done, sir, well done. And thank you for the reminder about reciprocating tools - I use my "angry grinder" with cutoff wheels daily, and I'm guilty of not bothering with eye protection from time to time. It's easy, after years of doing something hazardous, to become complacent, and to disregard the hazards.

Your story has inspired me, and I will be sure to use my eye protection (even when it's waaaaay over on the other workbench!) from now on. Thank you for the reminder, and the caution!

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:16 pm

I've told friends and family laforg's story. How he lost an eye and overcame the loss with technology.
After reading mh434's post about always wearing safety glasses, I thought that's right, whenever I use the grinder, table saw, skil saw or any power tool I'm going to wear my safety glasses.
Got kind of lax because it was just a small job or they weren't handy or something.
Then today using no power tools at all, building fence of all things, a simple tool nailed me, (where else?), right in the right eye!
I was using a flexible, metal tape measure. I was drawing the tape between my fingers when the end whipped around and the two hooks caught me in the right eye.
I was lucky, according to the ER doc. There's 2 scratches and one goes clear across the cornea. It should all heal up in 24 to 48 hours. (Plus 5 days of eye drops 4 times a day.)
Tried going back to work but couldn't stand the sweat getting in my eye. :roll:
I figure laforg would trade me situations in a heartbeat, after all in a couple days I'll be back to my abnormal, accident prone self. His situation is permanent.
Anyhow, for me anyway, safety glasses are going to be a "must have" power tool or not. :(
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 108,900 miles

Postby AZgl1800 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:21 am

it is those simple little mundane tasks that we do all the time that get to us...

Glad to hear that you were able to overcome your problem.

I used to have a casual lady friend who only had one eye. She drove a pickup truck because she wanted be "up high" and able to really see behind her.... she kept the rearview mirror canted so she could see over to the right and behind her....

she has never had an accident in many years of driving that truck.
John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
USCA# 8913
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
Bridgestone Battlax 130/70 18

Postby aj1500 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:02 pm

Wow, sorry to hear about your accident, great idea to get you back to riding.
I admire your attitude as well, good for you

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:44 pm

Both unfortunate, and inspiring. Laforg, I admire your attitude after such a life changing experience. Also, the way you went about finding a way to compensate for it so you could continue to be able to enjoy riding. Kudos to you. My wife gives me heck everytime I mow the yard about not wearing safety glasses. I will never do it again without them. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Bob
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

nwflorida
Motorcycle: 1995 Gl1500SE

Postby nwflorida » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:06 am

Either he didn't mention or just didn't see anything about when you lose an eye you also lose your depth of field.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:22 am

Very sorry to hear about your mishap Laforg, things like that happen pretty quick. I'm happy that you are on the mend, and have such a positive attitude. I'm not sure whether I'd have the strength to handle it as positively as you have. I hope I'm never tested.
That's an excellent adaptation to a very significant problem with the blind-spot. Good for you! When I read what you'd done regarding the rear-view camera, I thought that would be a good feature for any bike, including my own, as a last check of the blind-spot.
I worked in the electrical industry for 40 years, and when Ontario Hydro, the power company that I worked for, insisted that safety eye-wear be worn whenever you were on company property, it was met with a lot of grumbling, including myself. But as time passed I realized that it made perfect sense.
Good luck with your recovery, and safe riding..........................Dave
Last edited by Solina Dave on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Assume Nothing"

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:42 am

People adapt to the depth of field issue with one eye. I played hoops with a guy in college with one eye. He could hit from beyond the NBA three point line with amazing accuracy. You just had to learn not to throw the ball at his head from one side.

I am thinking the lane-drift technology of newer cars is not far away from this application

dwarven1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby dwarven1 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:11 pm

Once upon a time I discovered the hard way that "safety" glass lenses aren't. I spent a week wondering if my new nickname was going to be "Old One-eye". Fortunately, I wound up with an EXCELLENT opthalmic surgeon who did save the eye.

First thing I did was research eyeglass lens materials. EVERY pair of glasses I've had since are polycarbonate. (especially since I'm a shooter!)

But thank you for the reminder to put safety glasses over my regular glasses when I'm in the shop... sometimes I get careless and trust my regular glasses. I will endeavor to remember not to in the future and add the safety glasses in. We only get issued two Mark 1 eyeballs in this life...

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Postby Alan_Hepburn » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:43 pm

dwarven1 wrote:We only get issued two Mark 1 eyeballs in this life...

I just recently had my MkI eyeballs upgraded to V2.0 - new lenses through cataract surgery! Distance vision is back to 20/20 from the pre-surgery 20/400! But I do still need glasses for close-in stuff...
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

laforg

Postby laforg » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:39 pm

WOW! I didn't expect this much response. I didn't originally post this as a safety reminder, but I'm very glad it is working out that way. As one of you said, we tend to get complacent over time. "I've done that a thousand times..." In answer to the two who mention the depth perception problem, yes it is there, but mostly at close distances where the parallax angle is (or was) the most extreme. ::chuckle:: I've ruined three keyboards by knocking over my coffee cup! I've been back in the saddle for about a week now, and the system works really well once you get used to it. At first it's a little disorienting because the picture is going by side-to-side, at right angles to the real world, but once you get used to it there's no doubt when there's a vehicle on the right side just opposite the saddlebag.
So here's the new message - wear eye protection! I use a full-face shield now, I still think that fragment could have come right through even the best safety glasses. If you've used that power tool (or tape measure) a thousand times without a problem, your odds get worse every time, a thousand and ONE could be your number.
As for my attitude... hey, I can still see! I WILL NOT let this stop me. I suppose I could sit around feeling sorry for myself, or stop doing things because I'm afraid, but that would get me nowhere. I want my life to get back to normal, and that includes getting back in the wind!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”