Watch the slope

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Watch the slope

Postby dtrider » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:48 am

Just got back from a 1500 mile trip up to northern Montana. When we were about an hour out from our destination I stopped for gas and didn't notice that the driveway next to the pump was sloped away from the pump. The bike seemed to be OK when I first stopped, but once I filled up the tank I guess it was barely balance on the side-stand, and when I went to clean the windshield it was enough to push it over. The bike tipped over onto the right side and snapped off the right-side mirror along with a chunk of the lower section of the WindBender windshield.

Driving the rest of the trip was rather "interesting" without that mirror, but do-able. Luckily my insurance (Foremost) will cover it and with their Decreasing Deductible I won't have any out-of-pocket costs for this (first claim that I've ever had with them). I just get to spend some time talking to the dealer and the insurance agent to get it taken care of. Bleah!

/dwight

Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Watch the slope

Postby dingdong » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:14 pm

It happens. Been there done that. How many people were watching at the time? ;)
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:52 pm

Been there myself. And it ONLY happens when others are watching!! ("Murphy" is, and has always been, my co-pilot).

When I first got my bike, I was leery of the lack of lean when on sidestand. The bike had a sidestand "extender" thing on it (chrome, clamped on to the foot of the stand), and when I removed it I found that it actually lifted the foot a full 1/2", which removes a LOT of lean. That, plus the air suspension was set at very low pressure. When I fixed both those issues, I found I had LOTS of lean! Just something to think about, while waiting for "Murphy" to strike again...

dtrider

Postby dtrider » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:46 pm

Yep. Success always happens in private, while failure is always in full view. This was in a small town which doubles (or more) in population for the holiday weekend, and everybody seemed to be hanging out. I won't actually claim that I heard anybody laugh, but I'm sure I heard a chuckle or two. Still, at least I had plenty of help picking the bike up again.

It was truly a sick feeling standing there in front of the bike and watching it go over. Not a blessed thing that I could do to stop it. All I could do was say "Well, s@!%!", pick up the pieces and throw them in the trunk, then continue on to our destination.

Then to top it all off, on the return trip when we were about 100 miles from home, I stopped for gas and noticed that the rear tire was pretty much done. As in steel belt was visible. Again small town (Stanley, ID) with only one mechanic and he didn't have any tires that would even come close to fitting. The nearest tire that would fit was back home in Boise. Had to call my son and ask him to bring the trailer out so that we could get the bike home. Thankfully he was available to do so.

Not one of my more memorable trips. Or at least not memories that I really want to keep. ;)
/dwight

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:19 pm

Too late. It will live here forever. We don't forget. By the way we will be in Garden Valley this weekend to pick up the Rune. Hope we have better luck.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

dtrider

Postby dtrider » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:34 pm

Dingdong - You should drop by if you get a chance so that I can drool on the Rune. It's only a hop and skip from Garden Valley to Meridian.
/dwight

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:41 pm

I'm totally paranoid of this happening. I always wondered why the Goldwing doesn't have a locking sidestand, like so many other bikes do - so you have to push it down and forward before pushing it back. That way the bike can't roll forward off of it.

Another idea that I saw on a BMW bike this weekend that the Wing really needs: Linked brakes that automatically un-link themselves below 15 mph, so that you can properly trail brake at slow speeds. Why doesn't Honda do that!?!?

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:33 pm

Sounds like a nice feature. I think the new rushmore harleys have something like this too.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

dtrider

Postby dtrider » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:34 am

Gotta say that I'm fairly impressed with my insurance company (Foremost) right now. I called in the problem on Saturday, July 2. I didn't really expect anything since it was the holiday weekend, but I wanted to get it reported. Got a call back from the adjuster on Monday, July 4 (they were working on the holiday?). He confirmed the details of what happened and the visible damage, and asked me to send some photos in.

We got home late Tuesday, so I took the bike in to the dealer on Wednesday, July 6. They didn't finish writing up the estimate until Friday morning, July 8. In addition to the mirror and the windshield, they also found that the highway peg (Mic-o-Pegs) was bent and would need to be replaced, and the Baker hand wing had taken a hit. In all it came to a little over $3000. They sent it in to the adjuster, who called me within the hour to let me know that the money was being deposited into my account. Talk about fast friendly service. Hopefully the dealer will be able to get the parts in quickly now so that I can get back out on the road.
/dwight

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:27 am

YIKES!!!+!
$3K for a simple tip over? That's around 10% of a new bike.
My 1500 laid over thrice now and it stopped at the engine guard, no damage.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:05 am

The only times mine has fell over, I've had plenty of help getting it back up. So far, it's only gone down on the engine and saddlebag guards. :lol:
It sucks when something breaks but your insurance company seems to have come through for you. :D

(But THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS?!!!) :shock:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

dtrider

Postby dtrider » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:06 am

Yeah, it is amazing how fast things can add up. I've tipped the bike over before also with no damage, but this time because of the slope of the driveway the bike rolled over the engine guard and snapped off the right side mirror, took out a chunk of the windshield, bent the highway peg, and scratched up the front fairing and the saddlebag lid. With labor I guess it all added up.
/dwight

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:54 am

Parts cost plenty, but when labor is added in, it's OMG time. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:03 am

(as Get Smart would say)...
"Ahhh it's the old because of the slope of the driveway the bike rolled over the engine guard and snapped off the right side mirror, took out a chunk of the windshield, bent the highway peg, and scratched up the front fairing and the saddlebag lid routine."
:lol:

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”