riders with aftermarket hip

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Chickenlegs
Motorcycle: 97 a

riders with aftermarket hip

Postby Chickenlegs » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:02 pm

Are there any goldwingers out there with a replacement hip and still riding? and how are you getting along ?

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Re: riders with aftermarket hip

Postby FM-USA » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:43 pm

Chickenlegs wrote:Are there any goldwingers out there with a replacement hip and still riding? and how are you getting along ?

I'm not one but have read a few who dealt with it.
Couple went Trikes, one went sidecar while a few others sold. Each story has there own reasons, hopefully they will come along and post.

*IF* it were me I did think reverse trike but after getting on a Spyder last weekend, it's doubtful, cockpits too tight.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

insanemoondoggie
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000

Postby insanemoondoggie » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:33 pm

New hip 2 years ago, thought I was done riding and took my bike to have it inspected and put it up for sale. By the time I had gone a few miles I realized the pain from riding was gone. New hip is working out awesome, I do have a little trouble get my leg over the Wing, but have gotten use to it.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:24 pm

New hip six years ago. I had the surgery December 7th and was back on the wing January 1st. Been riding ever since. No issues what so ever. The hip replacement was the anterior approach which makes for a quicker recovery and much less post surgery issues. The key to it all was the rehabilitation exercises three times a day on a daily basis.

There really is no reason to let hip replacement surgery stop you from riding.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:30 am

Two hips replaced. Ride all the time, no issues. Three months before I rode following surgery 3/11/15. Was really careful for a month.

tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Postby tprender » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:46 am

I have had both of my hips done. The 1st was 10 yrs ago and I was riding 5 mons after with no problem. I was not able to ride a wing before the replacement, hurt to much to spread out the legs. After the replacement was better than before. Had the 2nd one done 2 yrs ago and was riding again 5 mons after it was done. I do have a hard time getting the leg over the seat, being that I am short. Still riding at my age(67) and going strong. Looking at going to something with 3 wheels maybe in the future, when I can't hold the bike up anymore when stopped. The key to recovery is to do the exceries 3-4 times a day instead of only 2 times a day. I stayed off of the bike for 5 months, didn't want to mess up the joint, get it out of aliement any. I was told to wait 6 months by the doc, but I only waited 5.

Chickenlegs
Motorcycle: 97 a

Postby Chickenlegs » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:35 am

Thank you gentlemen for your experiences and your encouragement. I hope to get a new hip this winter sometime and be ready to go by next summer.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Chickenlegs wrote:Thank you gentlemen for your experiences and your encouragement. I hope to get a new hip this winter sometime and be ready to go by next summer.

As per Avatar...
Put some meat on them bones :o, you'll be sitting on muscle not bone. :twisted:

Glad we helped SWAY your decision. Its all for the better. ;)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

BackintheSaddle
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby BackintheSaddle » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:28 am

I have had both hips replaced, 9 and 7 years ago. I love them! Before I had them replaced, I could not ride due to the lack of flexibility and the lack of ability to get my leg over. Now, I don't even think about them any more. I can do more now with my legs than I could do for many years. The only ability I have lost is the ability to run - there just isn't enough cushion in the new joints to make it comfortable. You will also have some restrictions on the weight you should lift. My advice to anyone is don't wait too long - you will lose strength which would help you recover more quickly. Git r done!

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Postby ka4yqi » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:11 am

Got the left hip replace on Dec 18 2015. Doctor would not let me riide for 3 months. But to get on the wing was my goal for the threapy. Since then I been piling the miles on. 2 trips to panama city beach, 1 tto south georgia , and 3 to tennessee. Should had done it sooner. Right one coming up later this year. :I have no regrets.
Last edited by ka4yqi on Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

B11rger
Motorcycle: GL 1800 29013

Postby B11rger » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:34 pm

My experiences with both hips being resurfaced,( Birmingham Hip) 10 and 9 years ago. I have more mobility now than the few years leading up to the operations. I had to lift my leg over the seat in a forward motion assisted by my hand. I was back on the bike after 3 months of both operations, being able to swing my leg over in the normal fashion. I actually found it more comfortable to sit on a bike seat than sit on a car seat. If you are suffering with hip problems get it seen to as quickly as possible before the joint deteriorates too much to allow a resurfacing op. rather than a replacement... No real downside with the operation. I sometimes get a pain in one groin, but bearable. I find it a bit awkward when walking on uneven terrain. But hey still great that I can ride my wing comfortably :D

ducktruck
Motorcycle: 1972 Kawasaki 90 (Got it new in 72)
2006 GL 1800 Trike

Postby ducktruck » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:35 pm

I'm also that may be going down that road. Thanks for letting me know all will work out.

Duck

Return to “Goldwing Chat”