Where Are The Free User Manuals?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
GoldieNS
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Where Are The Free User Manuals?

Postby GoldieNS » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:54 am

Hi,

Just signed up to GoldwingDocs.com as they advertise everywhere - free Goldwing manuals to download.
My GL1800 has all the manuals but they are in Japanese - not good when I need English!
However, when I search for them on this site and once directed to the 'Helm site, none of them are free ???
If I want to buy one I can get one much cheaper on eBay!

Am I missing something here or am I wasting my time with false advertising from this site?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Where Are The Free User Manuals?

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:18 am

I've had the same experience.
All information that is in "bold" is free from this site...unfortunately some time ago this happened...

dingdong wrote:Johnsa: The Mother Ship (Honda) forced every site that had free manuals to remove them. Copy right infringement. You may get someone to e-mail you a copy though.

As posted back in 2010.viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3863

Also on the Honda website is this...

"All material on this Web Site is protected by copyright laws, and other applicable laws of each country throughout the world. Except for personal, non-commercial internal use, you are prohibited to use (including without limitation, copying, modifying, reproducing in whole or in part, uploading, transmitting, distributing, licensing, selling and publishing) any of the materials, without obtaining Honda's prior express permission."

Sorry this doesn't resolve your problem but does explain who gets your money.

How bout using Google translate? :D

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:12 am

GoldieNS wrote:
Am I missing something here or am I wasting my time with false advertising from this site?

Attitude, attitude, attitude. Give the site some attitude and probably nobody will jump right up and volunteer to help you find what you are looking for. Just saying.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:14 pm

themainviking wrote:
GoldieNS wrote:

Attitude, attitude, attitude. Give the site some attitude and probably nobody will jump right up and volunteer to help you find what you are looking for. Just saying.

You're absolutely correct virgilmobile,
He's off to a great start for his first post on this site!!
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:30 pm

I do understand the frustration in researching and being bounced around to sites that want money for information.
I also understand the legals involved too.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:35 pm

I do understand the frustration in researching and being bounced around to sites that want money for information.Especially technical info.
I also understand the legals involved too.

Seldom "free" is ever really free.
I can watch movies free IF pay for the service.

Now...my advice is really free.Really :D

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:59 pm

I still agree with you 100%. :) :)
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:12 pm

How can you buy a $20,000+ motorcycle and then be too cheap to purchase a comprehensive service manual from the manufacturer? What is $100 for a manual compared to the price of the bike? especially since it will allow you to do a lot of your own troubleshooting and repairing and maintenance. You should get the price back in labor saved in a very short period of time!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

GoldieNS

Postby GoldieNS » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:54 pm

Hi guys,

Hey, I am ok with this...
Yea, it is frustrating when you see ads for something free then trail through the site to only find what your looking for is not free!
Anyway... No problem.

Harvey01 - I havent bought the bike yet!
I wanted to get a manual to become more familiar with the controls before test riding and making a decsion on whether to buy...
Therefore, getting a free manual at this stage was more attractive then buying one for $100!

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:49 pm

If this is not going to be your first motorcycle then there isn't much to learn about the Goldwing as far as controls. I think most bikes out there have the basic controls in the same locations and they function just the same. Now, however, all the bells and whistles are a different story. Cruise control, built in intercom, on board GPS, audio system features etc can be quickly learned but things like setting the clock or how to adjust the suspension, you are correct. It will take an owners manual in a language you understand. The seller will probably be more than happy to inform you or even show you how to work them before you take her around the block.
Ed

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:32 pm

I can send you a 2006 Owners Manual via email if you will furnish me your email address. You can contact me via private message. The manual is 5,193 Kb in size.

By the way, I noticed you are in Udorn, Thailand. I spent a year and a half there myself a long time ago. I hope the roads have gotten better in Thailand. Going between Udorn and Bangkok was always real interesting trying to dodge all the pot holes.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

GoldieNS

Postby GoldieNS » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:14 pm

Good Morning all,

Thank you for your input and support.

I should have explained myself more clearly in my first post and that would have avoided some confusion... Sorry!

So, here's how it is.
I live in Thailand and the bike I am considering buying is a 2007 GL1800.
The bike is furnished with all the original manuals but they are all in Japanese.
The bike is privately owned by a Thai but in a showroom being advertised. No one at this showroom can speak my language and I can't speak enough Thai - especially when it becomes technical about bikes - hence wanting a manual for reference.
Furthermore - no one in the showroom, (it's a Harley D agent!), knows much about Goldwings!

MikeB - thank you for your offer of a 2006 manual but it is a 2007 that I need.
I found and downloaded a 2006 version already and have noticed quite a few differences, especially in the layout of audio switches, air suspension, centre console controls but the 2006 manual doesn't cover the ABS and air bag which the model I am looking at, has...

I have been able to attain quite a bit of information from the internet which answers most of my questions about the controls and operation of the various features.
Being Thailand, I have to make sure everything is genuine and in working order therefore I want to go through every function of the electronics to make sure there are no hidden surprises - especially with stuff like ABS and air bags. Believe me - if theses things aren't working the Thais just take out the dash lights so that you can't see when faults are apparent!

Oh, the roads MikeB...
I have been in this part of the world now, on and off, for the last eleven years and they have got a lot better than they were.
They're not perfect by any means but if you stay well alert and stick to day time riding on longer journeys there aren't too many horrors waiting to claim your bike!

Thanks again everyone.
Just need to decide now whether to move forward and buy the bike?
Watch this space!

Regards

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:13 pm

You have a tough job ahead of you to wring out the bike and all its functions if you have never had or ridden a wing before. Yes, I know what the Thai's do if things don't work. It gets bypassed or the light removed unless it is needed, then a couple of bare wires will protrude from somewhere so they can be touched together at the proper moment for operation. Yup, been there, seen that.

I wish you good luck getting it all figured out.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

GoldieNS

Postby GoldieNS » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:21 pm

Hi MikeB,

Yep, it is taking some time!
Today will be my third and last day of checking this bike out and making an offer. As you probably know; as soon as a fralang turns up, up goes the price!

So far, everything checks out really well.
It all looks very original, (only has 22,900 kms on it), and even has the original un-used tool kit in a leather case... that is a first for Thailand!

Everything seems to work except for the windscreen washer, (the wiper works!), and the CD unit.
The radio works fine but the when the CD button is pressed nothing happens...?
I am not too worried about that though, as I would probably convert that to MP3 anyway...

GoldieNS

Postby GoldieNS » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:33 pm

Hi Guys,

So an update - I am now the owner of a 2007 GL1800...

Thank you for all of your assistance.
Time for me to get used to everything, sort a few bits out and fit an alarm...

No doubt I hope to become a regular here on the forum.

Regards
EnEs63

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Congratulations on your new wing.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Return to “Goldwing Chat”