XM Satellite radio


Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
vaughn
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:28 pm
Location: Parker, Pa
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl 1100 Aspencade

XM Satellite radio

Postby vaughn » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:23 pm



Anybody else use XM on their bikes? I have had mine about 3 years and last night it started going off and on. When I tapped on it it would come back on and then off again. I think it must of jarred something loose. I guess they are not made good enough to take the jarring on a motorcycle. I will probably have to buy a new one and switch my account over to it.



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: XM Satellite radio

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:00 pm

vaughn wrote:Anybody else use XM on their bikes? I have had mine about 3 years and last night it started going off and on. When I tapped on it it would come back on and then off again. I think it must of jarred something loose. I guess they are not made good enough to take the jarring on a motorcycle. I will probably have to buy a new one and switch my account over to it.


I've had one on my bike for years with no issue. That said, I do notice that it's started to get a bit loose in its cradle, so perhaps I might be looking at a similar problem in the near future?

My GL1500 has had the color version of the XM Onyx satellite radio on it for years now, on a bracket holding it to the handlebar:



It's relatively cheap at $65 or so. If I were to buy it again I would probably get the much cheaper $23 XM Onyx receiver:



The reason? Sunlight pretty much washes out that color screen, making it all but unreadable.

That said, the thing has been through rain, sleet, baking sun and more over many thousands of miles, and still works just as good as the day I bought it.

User avatar
minimac
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 am
Location: Oswego, NY
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Re: XM Satellite radio

Postby minimac » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:57 am

A small, tiny bungee wrapped around the receiver and base will keep them in contact. Even a solitary tie wrap wrapped around both, will do the trick.

User avatar
dtrider
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:44 am
Location: Meridian, Id
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Re: XM Satellite radio

Postby dtrider » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:00 pm

Mine is incorporated into the Garmin GPS, which is getting old and persnickety. It has started having problems finding the satellites when I wake it up, and sometimes the music will cut out even though I still have clear access to the sky. I may have to replace it one of these days, and when I do I'm thinking of going with separate systems. I would like to be able to take the XM with me regardless of which vehicle I'm in, or even into the house.

Any suggestions as to a good XM receiver that will let me do that?
/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.
Image

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: XM Satellite radio

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:50 pm

dtrider wrote:Mine is incorporated into the Garmin GPS, which is getting old and persnickety. It has started having problems finding the satellites when I wake it up, and sometimes the music will cut out even though I still have clear access to the sky. I may have to replace it one of these days, and when I do I'm thinking of going with separate systems. I would like to be able to take the XM with me regardless of which vehicle I'm in, or even into the house.

Any suggestions as to a good XM receiver that will let me do that?
/dwight


Mine is an Onyx (they call it an Onyx Plus now), it comes with the automotive dock as well as a home dock that you can use to plug it in at home. You can also buy more automotive kits that you can plug the receiver into.

CrystalPistol
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:07 pm
Location: Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: XM Satellite radio

Postby CrystalPistol » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:32 pm

SkyFi "one" since 2002, the thing is dang near bulletproof! :D
Image

User avatar
Mag
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:58 am
Location: Silverlake, WA
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: XM Satellite radio

Postby Mag » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:08 am

I have a stratus 6 that I use in 2 cars, 2 portable boxes, and one future mount on the bike. I am planning on adding another mount in my truck (now that I have speakers that work, lol). I dig my satellite radio, I live far enough out in the sticks that I do not get a lot of radio stations, I have to stream the Seattle Mariner games off my phone.

User avatar
ksdalet
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Lehman trike

Re: XM Satellite radio

Postby ksdalet » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:34 am

Mine is also incorporated into the bike. I have a 2010 GL1800. I have noticed that it also cuts out at times, but I have one in my pickup and in my van and they both do the same. I think it is a satellite interference anomaly.

User avatar
vaughn
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:28 pm
Location: Parker, Pa
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl 1100 Aspencade

Re: XM Satellite radio

Postby vaughn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:55 pm

I found the problem. The power receptacle on bike wasn't holding tight. I switched the XM plug with the one in my van and it works fine. The one I was using on the bike works fine in the van plugs.
Can't ride right now because of meds they put me on after having a serious blood infection. Came close to organ failure.

User avatar
ksdalet
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Lehman trike

Re: XM Satellite radio

Postby ksdalet » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:13 pm

I'm glad you got it fixed without any extra cost. My three XMs still cut out at times. I think it is a satellite interference thing, there have been a lot of new satellites for various duties put into orbit since XM put theirs up.
I hope you get better and back to riding soon.

knklehd1
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Location: Bergen County,NJ
Motorcycle: 94 a

Re: XM Satellite radio

Postby knklehd1 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:02 am

I'm a truck driver and I use a roady xt the unit itself has lasted for years no problems. Where I tend to run into problems is with the cradle the power starts to cut in and out when it starts to happen I just swap it out with a new one and all is good.
I have done so much with so little, I can do anything.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: XM Satellite radio

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:07 pm

vaughn wrote:I found the problem. The power receptacle on bike wasn't holding tight. I switched the XM plug with the one in my van and it works fine. The one I was using on the bike works fine in the van plugs.
Can't ride right now because of meds they put me on after having a serious blood infection. Came close to organ failure.


I don't use those power receptacles, they just don't hold with vibration. For my XM radio, GPS, etc. I disassemble the plug itself (which has a voltage regulator built into it), unsolder the contacts, and replace them with wires that I solder in place. I then put a locking connector on the end of the wires and use that to hook into the bike's electrical system.





Return to “Goldwing Chat”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo Slurp [Bot] and 2 guests