When You're Hot, You're Hot!!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

When You're Hot, You're Hot!!

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:43 am

I just thought I'd add to a subject that's already been worked to death. Hot Weather!! The question is, how to deal with it. We all might be interested in how you cope with it. Feel free to unload.
I've been riding for many years now, and was generally forced to accept whatever weather conditions God thought appropriate when it came time for me to take my holiday from work, and ride off into the Sun. That often made for some very wet, and sometimes very Hot!! riding. I don't handle heat very well, and I don't like it when it gets too Hot!! That's usually anything from 30ºc/86ºf and up, after factoring in the humidity. I just ride further on the days that it's cooler, to compensate for the downtime on the days that it's too Hot!! :idea:
I've been retired for 10 years, and I can now be much more selective as to when I ride. Now if it's too hot, I don't ride. I just simply wait for a better day. Perfect!............except maybe for the aging part that accompanies that retirement. :lol:

Stay cool!!..................................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: When You're Hot, You're Hot!!

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:01 am

There in Texas, we have a different view about what is hot, but understand your point.
I usually don't ride if the heat index is above 100°, which is most of our summer during the day.
I ride "Most of the Gear, All the Time", which is always a modular helmet, mesh jacket and gloves, but I usually wear jeans and sometimes the boots.
I've started wearing a cooling vest for rides where I know I'm going to be out in the heat of the day, and it helps a lot, but not for very long.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby dtrider » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:29 am

In my area (Boise, ID) when it's going to get hot I can usually escape into the mountains where it usually stays fairly cool. The roads in the mountains are the most interesting for riding anyway, so it's just a win for me.

However when I do have to ride in the heat (like when we head south through the Nevada desert later this month) I'll try to hit the road early in the morning before it gets too hot, take a break during the worst heat of the day, then ride some more after it cools off a bit. I'll use a mesh jacket and gloves, combined with one of the cooling vests that HVSB4 mentions and a cooling neck band to keep me cooled off. They typically dry out in about an hour or so and need to be re-soaked, but I don't mind taking a break about then anyway.
/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:04 pm

I also don't really like to ride in the heat. When I have to I usually ride only in the early part of the day. Until 1 or 2pm. Cooling vests don't work very well for me. I have found that if I can keep my head cool the rest of my body will remain cooler also. I use a micro fiber cooling cap under my helmet. Soaked in ice water and left dripping wet I can keep relatively cool for at least 2 hours no matter what the temps are. For me that's much longer than a cooling vest will work. Wouldn't leave home without it. A perfect example: Last year the wife and I rode across Death Valley in June. With the cooling caps we made it across in 115º temps without much problem. Stopped once at Stove Pipe Wells to refresh the caps.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Bugmerc
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
1976 GL1000

Postby Bugmerc » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:53 pm

Heat is something I grew up with, literally. Summers around here will have 80-100 days straight with 100F+. If you don't want to ride in the heat, you will have to wait a loooong time. Too long for me. So I consider AZ a 12 month riding season. Mesh jacket, mesh pants, modular helmet with a liner and boots. If I'm gonna ride the gear goes on, period. Stay hydrated and stop to drink often, that's pretty much it. Drink holder is the current project. :) You're going to get sweaty, but the other option is get in truck. I'd much rather be on the bike.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:53 pm

dingdong wrote:I have found that if I can keep my head cool the rest of my body will remain cooler also. I use a micro fiber cooling cap under my helmet. Soaked in ice water and left dripping wet I can keep relatively cool for at least 2 hours no matter what the temps are.

That sounds like a good idea dingdong. I'll have a look for one right away. It makes sense, as I have noticed over the years that soaking my head and neck area has really helped in the short term. I also read that cooling high pulse areas such as the neck and wrists, there's probably others, is helpful. So maybe soaking wrist bands would also be a good idea.
"Assume Nothing"

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Solina Dave wrote:
dingdong wrote:I have found that if I can keep my head cool the rest of my body will remain cooler also. I use a micro fiber cooling cap under my helmet. Soaked in ice water and left dripping wet I can keep relatively cool for at least 2 hours no matter what the temps are.

That sounds like a good idea dingdong. I'll have a look for one right away. It makes sense, as I have noticed over the years that soaking my head and neck area has really helped in the short term. I also read that cooling high pulse areas such as the neck and wrists, there's probably others, is helpful. So maybe soaking wrist bands would also be a good idea.

I wear one of those cooling bandanas and it works really well. Now that I'm older I dont handle the heat as well either. I've taken to riding really early when the heat is in the 90's like 8am on weekends. Have to hold off commuting to work until the weather cools down a little. I have one of those temperature controlling shirts and it works great in the cold. But when its hot I guess your just gonna be hot. Heard about them fancy cooling vests. Not sure about them I heard they leave your clothes damp. I wouldn't mind trying them though. :D :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:19 pm

One thing about dressing for the cold is, you can always put something more on. But when it's hot, you can only take so much off, before you get arrested!!

Not that I would know of course!!..............................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:38 pm

I throw on my phase change cooling vest:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22662

If I'm going to be riding a while, I'll bring along a spare set of cooling packs in an insulated bag with some ice.

Works like a dream, I can ride all day in heat that would have me near heat stroke otherwise.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:06 pm

NVSB4 wrote:There in Texas, we have a different view about what is hot, but understand your point.
I usually don't ride if the heat index is above 100°, which is most of our summer during the day.
I ride "Most of the Gear, All the Time", which is always a modular helmet, mesh jacket and gloves, but I usually wear jeans and sometimes the boots.
I've started wearing a cooling vest for rides where I know I'm going to be out in the heat of the day, and it helps a lot, but not for very long.

I forgot to add that around here this time of year, we usually go on rides early in the mornings when it's only 80°.
Most of the summer it doesn't get below that. Right now, after 8pm, it's still 95°.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:03 pm

dingdong wrote:Last year the wife and I rode across Death Valley in June. With the cooling caps we made it across in 115º temps without much problem. Stopped once at Stove Pipe Wells to refresh the caps.

Hey dingdong! Just noticed that you and your wife stopped in Stove Pipe Wells, in Death Valley. What a great name. That, and Furnace Creek. Very appropriate.
That brought back a memory for me, that happens now and then, about stopping in Stove Pipe Wells back in 1978. It was 11:00 in the morning, and I was sitting under an awning on the west side of a building. I think it might have been a small motel. There was one of those dinner plate sized thermometers on the wall, behind me, that had been sheltered from the sun so far that day, and besides since it was only 11:00 in the morning, the thermometer, being on the west wall of the building, hadn't even seen the sun yet. It read 111ºF. That's pretty hot for a boy from the Great White North. The park ranger told me that I could lose a quart of water per hour riding in the desert, and also not to try walking for help if I had a breakdown.

Cool!..............................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:09 am

Solina Dave wrote:
dingdong wrote:Last year the wife and I rode across Death Valley in June. With the cooling caps we made it across in 115º temps without much problem. Stopped once at Stove Pipe Wells to refresh the caps.

Hey dingdong! Just noticed that you and your wife stopped in Stove Pipe Wells, in Death Valley. What a great name. That, and Furnace Creek. Very appropriate.
That brought back a memory for me, that happens now and then, about stopping in Stove Pipe Wells back in 1978. It was 11:00 in the morning, and I was sitting under an awning on the west side of a building. I think it might have been a small motel. There was one of those dinner plate sized thermometers on the wall, behind me, that had been sheltered from the sun so far that day, and besides since it was only 11:00 in the morning, the thermometer, being on the west wall of the building, hadn't even seen the sun yet. It read 111ºF. That's pretty hot for a boy from the Great White North. The park ranger told me that I could lose a quart of water per hour riding in the desert, and also not to try walking for help if I had a breakdown.

Cool!..............................Dave

It was mid afternoon when we rode through. I found Death Valley to be a very beautiful place. I love the desert areas. When we were riding down into the valley it rained on us for a while then the temps started to rise. Wow! I had to ride with one hand and keep the other in the shade to prevent my skin from literally burning. Stove Pipe Wells was a welcome oasis. Then as we rode up out of the valley it rained on us again for a short time cooling us down. It was one of those rides that I will remember forever.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:47 am

I used to just grin and bear it, but not so much anymore my bike sits in the summertime, sometimes for weeks.
Once I rode across the eastern and central plains of the US from south Texas to central Michigan and back in August.
I had a cooling vest and Butler cup rigged via plastic tubing with a bite mouthpiece for on the go hydration.
Two of the longer days were 960 miles one day and 850 another, it wasn't pleasant. I don't enjoy intense heat, problem is I live in the Gulf coast of Texas where the gulf humidity combined with high temps make a lot of summer unbearable.
I love winter here though temps in the 50- 60's most of the time ahhhhh.~
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:56 am

maintainer wrote:I don't enjoy intense heat, problem is I live in the Gulf coast of Texas where the gulf humidity combined with high temps make a lot of summer unbearable.
I love winter here though temps in the 50- 60's most of the time ahhhhh.~

I'm with you maintainer! My bike lies idle, sometimes for several days at a time, during July and August. We don't get the intense heat for as long as you folks do through the summer, but a lot of it's in the 85º-95º range before the humidity correction. Spring and fall months are my main riding seasons, much like your winter. Winter up here is out of the question, except for some nut with a trike or a sidecar. :lol:

Keep cool!........Dave
"Assume Nothing"

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:23 pm

At my house I don't winterize I summerize my bikes. There are sometimes weeks that I don't ride in late July and August.

Tom

Return to “Goldwing Chat”