Food for thought

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Food for thought

Postby Rob H » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:05 am

I got this in my mail box so I thought I would share.
There may be some truth in it....................

If self-driving cars become commonplace there will be at least one unintended consequence: it will eliminate a good way to assess the true character of a co-worker, colleague or customer.

Just as anonymity on the Web allows petty cowards to express their hidden ugliness, the anonymity of being behind the wheel brings out the worst in some people.

With that in mind, here are some observations (not rules cast in stone) on how driving habits reveal character and personality:

- Rolling Stops. People who don't come to a full stop at a stop sign can't be trusted to handle details. They literally and figuratively cut corners, both on the street and in the workplace.

- Tailgating. People who tailgate (i.e. leave less than one car length) are unimaginative. They assume that nothing can go wrong and are caught by surprise when the unexpected happens.

- Road Hogging. A road hog insists on going either below or at the speed limit rather than pulling over and letting a line of cars pass them. This is classic passive-aggression; road hogs will bog down any and all initiatives at work.

- Finger Salutes. People who feel it necessary to express profanity at other drivers (especially while driving away) are usually frustrated and a bit cowardly. At work, they can be counted on to backbite and gossip.

- Over-honking. These are people who honk longer than necessary, like a full second (rather than a polite tap) at a driver who hasn't noticed the light has changed. Over-honkers tend to be both overly-critical and overly-sensitive to being criticized.

- Texting. Driving while texting is more dangerous than driving while drunk. Anybody who texts or emails while driving is a dangerous fool and cannot be trusted with any responsibility whatsoever, at work or anywhere else.

- Speeding. Habitual speeders don’t really care about other people and they don't think the rules apply to them. At work, they are the jerks that make everyone else miserable.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Food for thought

Postby harvey01 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:35 am

Interesting observations! I wonder what a psychologist would say and evaluate them?
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Bugmerc
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
1976 GL1000

Postby Bugmerc » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:59 pm

I tried to apply some of those to people I know drive like that, some seemed to fit. Interesting points for sure.

Although, I speed, a little. Often 4-5 over the limit, but I don't think I fit that description. I would not consider myself a jerk and I don't think my employees think of me as such. I could be wrong though. :lol:

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:36 pm

As I read each one of the different things, I thought how they apply to me.
Some times I don't run the speed limit, but I will pull over and let people behind me by. Other times I'll run 4 - 5 mph over the speed limit.
Sometimes I'll roll through a stop sign, at home, but since I've been out on the road, I'll stop long enough to put a foot down. I don't want to irritate the local police.
Can't recall flipping anyone off since my teenage years. Won't do it on a bike because that guy/girl may be already p.o.'ed about something, then they get flipped off?
Don't want to be on the evening news. :lol:
Oh, only honk at other people when I'm carrying or I know them. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:15 am

A road hog insists on going either below or at the speed limit rather than pulling over and letting a line of cars pass them

Below the speed limit perhaps, but at the speed limit? Why should someone move over so as to allow others to break the law and speed over the limit? This flies in the face of your last statement - "habitual speeders".
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Postby Rob H » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:33 am

brettchallenger wrote:
A road hog insists on going either below or at the speed limit rather than pulling over and letting a line of cars pass them

Below the speed limit perhaps, but at the speed limit? Why should someone move over so as to allow others to break the law and speed over the limit? This flies in the face of your last statement - "habitual speeders".

My understanding is that you are not supposed to drive in the fast(outside lane) in the UK unless you are overtaking?

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:34 am

Oh, only honk at other people when I'm carrying or I know them. :lol:[/quote]

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:39 am

The rule is that you should use the lane on the left unless you need to overtake another vehicle, then you may use the middle or right hand lane. People refer to the right hand lane as the "fast lane" but the speed limit is the same as for other lanes and it is there for overtaking only, once you have passed the vehicle you are overtaking you should return to the left lane - this clearly does not apply to drivers of BMWs who believe that the right hand lane is for their exclusive use.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:21 am

brettchallenger wrote:The rule is that you should use the lane on the left unless you need to overtake another vehicle, then you may use the middle or right hand lane. People refer to the right hand lane as the "fast lane" but the speed limit is the same as for other lanes and it is there for overtaking only, once you have passed the vehicle you are overtaking you should return to the left lane - this clearly does not apply to drivers of BMWs who believe that the right hand lane is for their exclusive use.

Ah ha, BMW are also the only manufacturers that do not have indicators as standard! Optional.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:16 am

The truth about generalizations: they're always wrong.

Bugmerc
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
1976 GL1000

Postby Bugmerc » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:48 am

ekvh wrote:The truth about generalizations: they're always wrong.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:26 pm

As far as the "at the speed limit" issue is concerned, I believe I know what the OP was referring to. In my case, my drive to work encompasses an 18-km stretch of "highway" (a simple 2-lane, with no passing areas, and no shoulders).

Thanks to the suburbanization of our area, the traffic volume has tripled in the past 10 year, (virtually all of them commuters). The highway, however, has never received an upgrade as a result (unlike our taxes, which have also tripled in the same time period!).

While the speed limit was arbitrarily set at 60 km/h (the road was engineered for 80 km/h), 80%-90% of normal traffic, left unimpeded, travels safely at around 75 km/h. When someone cruises along during rush hour (in reality, 3 hours long) at, or 1-2 km/h under the limit, steadfastly refusing to use any of the pullouts, towing 5 km. of frustrated traffic behind them, unintended consequences result. Frustrated drivers (especially when there are hundreds of them, nose to tail, in a tight group, most of whom will probably be late for work, thanks to the ignoramus at the head of the line) tend to do inadvisable things, and crashes result.

Then, there are the drivers who drive even slower on the same route - yesterday (Saturday morning, 0630 hours), I followed a woman in a Dodge minivan...she drove the entire route at 30 km/h (half the speed limit, despite it being a glorious, sunny day). Initially, I was the only one behind her. By the time I got to the next town (after a 45 minute drive, which normally takes 20 minutes), the traffic behind me (and her) stretched to the horizon. I tried honking, flashing lights politely, but nothing worked. When I finally got alongside, I noted that all her mirrors were turned so as to be completely unusable. She not only didn't use them, but clearly resented other traffic being on the road, and simply didn't wish to acknowledge them.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:34 pm

On 4 lane highways in Arkansas, where the left lane is used for passing, if you're driving in the left lane beside a car in the right and preventing other traffic from passing, even if you're doing the speed limit, you can be cited for impeding traffic.
In several states the left lane is for passing only. My son is one of the biggest violators of this law and I don't think he has ever been charged with it. :roll:

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”