Scary moment

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Scary moment

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:01 am

I was in Canada last weekend, and on Sunday was starting out home, a 6 hour ride. I hadn't gone even ten miles, out on some rural country road when this happened. It was a clear, dry, warm sunny day.

I was coming up to an intersection, with a stoplight. It was in the middle of the country, nothing there except for a school on one corner, which I guess was the reason for the stoplight. I was doing probably 45 mph. My light was green, and had been for some time. I saw a pickup truck approaching the intersection from my left.

I watched as the guy came up to the intersection, and thought, "he's going a bit fast coming up there, he's going to have a problem slowing down in time." Just as that thought entered my mind, I realized that he WASN'T going to slow down, that he was going to sail right through that red light, and that he was going to hit me as he did so.

From that realization to the surge of adrenalin to me hauling on the brakes couldn't have been more than half a second. I was HARD on the brakes, maximum braking.

And then it happened - I heard a squeal, and the front end got wiggly. I realized I had locked up my front wheel. I let up on the front brake for an instant, the front end snapped back into line, and I was back onto the brakes again. Total time with a locked up front wheel couldn't have been more than half a second, but it sure felt like an eternity. I came to a stop maybe two feet past my "stop" line, and the truck sailed by right in front of me. I don't know if he even knew I was there, I didn't have a chance to look at the driver. Probably texting on his phone. I never hit my horn: the reaction to get on my brakes was instant, I didn't even have to think about it, but obviously I have to think about using my horn, because it never happened.

That's the second time I've locked up the front wheel on this bike under maximum braking - the first time was during an MSF Experienced Rider Course. Both times I managed to keep the bike upright, which I suppose looks good on the Goldwing as a stable platform.

It sure does make me wish there was some kind of aftermarket ABS you could get for bikes, though...

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Re: Scary moment

Postby FM-USA » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:37 am

GLAD it was a missed accident.
I get that scenario around 2 - 5 times weekly around here.
A couple years ago this was almost unheard of. Now with lower cost to free texting.
I truly believe they are looking at their phones more often and probably looking up at the last moment.

The red flag I have, fast drivers from the side. I'm either already on the brakes or leaning AT the ready.

ANOTHER THING:
As I sit on our front porch the stop sign 4 doors down, more & more drivers are just going through it. Some slow others (INCLUDING COPS with no flashing lights) just buzz right through.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:49 am

Happens all too often. Was riding into Victoria yesterday, and had to use my horn twice (it's only 23 Kms) when beside cars and the drivers just glance into their side mirrors. It's not like a GW is a small scooter and non discript. It also urks me after having used my horn that the driver just smiles and waves as if it was a little "oops".

Thankfully I upgraded my horns on my '85 to the Fiamms highly blasters. They are quite loud.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Bugmerc
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
1976 GL1000

Postby Bugmerc » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:54 pm

I've seen it around here also. I'm glad you saw him coming and had time to react, even though it was almost not enough time. That must have really rattled you, I can't even imagine. At least if you were wearing mesh pants they are easy to wash out!!

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:31 pm

Glad to hear your reaction time and handling skills were up to the task.

I sometimes do a fake test for emergency braking - solo on a straight road and imagine something is going to happen - and then slam on the brakes - might do that a few time s - just to make sure I can react and the body does not forget what it needs to do.

Good work Scott - we would like to continue to read your stories. :)

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:10 am

but obviously I have to think about using my horn, because it never happened.

Thanks goodness you were alert and a skilled rider - things could have worked out a lot different as I am sure you realise. As the Good Book says, "Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come".

I used to live by a main road and I came to realise that vehicle horns were pretty much useless in terms of preventing accidents. You might need one in a car park because someone is backing into you - though hardly life saving in those circumstances. Most horn sounding is an expression of anger/frustration. In an emergency situation, such as the one WingAdmin describes, no one has time to use it.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:58 am

Was there something in the way that you didn't see the approaching vehicle sooner? I always am extra alert approaching intersections, as I'm sure you will be now. Sure gets the old ticker pumping and greatly increases the pucker factor, doesn't it? ;)

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:21 am

I almost get hit in the rear, the side, the front everywitch way possible a few times a day. People are just to preoccupied. They can't seem to focus on the task at hand. I think the time has come for self driving cars. You go to the store people are walking into things blocking the walk way and don't have a clue they are even doing it. I went though the drive through the lady a the pay window was texting and said $6.35. I handed her my bankcard she took it asked do you want a receipt. I said yes. She said that will be $6.35 I said ok. She said how do you want to pay, I said with the card I just gave you she smiled and oh yeah ran the card and gave it back, I said can I have my receipt, she said you didn't say you wanted one and had to go back and print one. It was scary to think this person will be driving home tonight.

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Postby squirrel » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:15 pm

Over here in uk horns seem to be only used as a warning/ last resort / **** driver. But even though my horns are 90 db I still have to treat everyone else on the Road as an idiot .admin good call on knowing what the driver was going to do.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:14 pm

When you get a few close calls you tend to watch ahead for possible situations. It starts to become habit or you expect someone to do 'X'. The speed of a car coming from the side, the way the driver looks or looking, the vehicles near imperceivable tell-tale movement in their lane says YELLOW FLAG, something is coming.

When I was in hardware floor sales, I had that knack of who to approach and who not to, who needs help and who's just browsing. That took a few years but I had a good a start, my dad took me to hardware stores when I was really young.
Anyways...
I got a lot of respect from customers just because of that, they liked NOT being bothered. BUT the assistant manager had a different opinion. So to prove me wrong he went up to one customer I knew and I knew that customer did not want to be bothered. It was in his look and his walk, both VERY deliberate. That's a RED FLAG to me. Few seconds later, from across the whole store I heard that customer CHEEeeEEeeW out that A. Mgr.. He never doubted me again. ;)
I didn't last much longer there, he made sure of that.
OH well, life onward. :)
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Postby waituntilthebeep » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:47 am

So adding Pokemon GO was a bad idea? Geez, would have never thought that I couldn't drive my car and play a video game at the same time!. Sorry. Guess I should remove the SPEED filter from my Snapchat app too.

Technology has made the dumb even more dangerous.

DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby DarthJ » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:42 am

I had one that got me obsessively watching my mirrors. Back in '93, I was puttering around on a little Honda Elite 80. (No Wing, but hey, still a Honda :D ) I was sitting at a light (had been red for quite a while). I heard something that made me look in the mirror, it was a truck in the next lane and he wasn't gonna stop. He barrels into the intersection and slams into this Camaro that was waiting to turn left. Hit her in the rear quarter panel and spun the car a full 180. If he had been in my lane, I wouldn't have had time to react.
If my gal ain't happy, I ain't happy. Thank God she loves bikes.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:59 am

Well done, sir!! Front wheel lockup generally results in a massive, instantaneous go-down - it takes skill & extremely fast reactions to stay up!

Glad you made it through without incident. Sorry it happened up here in Canada, but nowhere is safe from stupid!!

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:24 pm

I have locked the rear but, to date, never the front! I didn't think it was possible either since I had done a few "panic" stops with out incident. Those three disks sure do their job in getting you from ? to 0 mph in a short time.
I wasn't overly crazy about Honda linking the front and rear brakes.
Very glad and relieved to hear that you were unharmed.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:31 pm

normally when you lock up the front the rear of the bike wants to pass the front of the bike. Not pretty. I personally like having the front and back linked. I think it gives you better stopping power and it's more controlled.

cardinal
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

Postby cardinal » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:34 am

I have nightmares about situations like that, but with bushes or crops blocking the view of the approaching traffic on the cross road. I'm starting to sweat just thinking about it.......

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:05 am

Good job! Seeing what might happen, what was going to happen and then not letting it happen!
Good thing another driver like him was not following you. I've been caught in those situations where I needed to stop right now, and the thought of honking the horn never entered my head until I was "safe" again. Honking after it was over seemed kind of pointless. :roll:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:31 pm

WingAdmin wrote:It sure does make me wish there was some kind of aftermarket ABS you could get for bikes, though...

Glad you made it out ok. Sometimes your hands are full controlling the bike and can't honk the horn.

Awhile back I was on my 86 Honda VFR750 when someone cut me off an I had both front and back brakes locked while having to do maximum braking. Tried letting the front end load up but I was braking so hard the tires just weren't gripping and I had really sticky tires on at the time. Managed to keep the bike in a straight line and stop. Driver who cut me off never knew what he did or that I was there.

I keep promising myself my next bike will have ABS. :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:18 pm

Happytrails wrote:I keep promising myself my next bike will have ABS. :D

^^^^^ THIS!!!

I sure wish there was an aftermarket ABS add-on system somewhere.

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:49 pm

I was once sitting at a red light behind several cars. I like to keep an eye open for those behind me. Had one look like he wasn't going to stop, so I pulled into the median. He ran into the car that I was behind. Really makes me think when I see another biker shift into neutral when at a light. If I had done that, I wouldn't have been able to get onto the median and avoid getting hit. Just another of life's experiences.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:59 pm

seelyark1 wrote:I was once sitting at a red light behind several cars. I like to keep an eye open for those behind me. Had one look like he wasn't going to stop, so I pulled into the median. He ran into the car that I was behind. Really makes me think when I see another biker shift into neutral when at a light. If I had done that, I wouldn't have been able to get onto the median and avoid getting hit. Just another of life's experiences.

DITTOES HERE... twice. :evil:
Plus 2 near misses where they were in the right lane, I left. Both blowing right through red lights. :shock:

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:53 pm

Glad you're OK. Have had to do a couple of fast stops recently and am very thankful for ABS. Probably saved my life!

jandjgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500, 1992 FXDC, 1976 CB750

Postby jandjgoldwing » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:18 am

In my opinion, anyone who is not focusing FULL TIME on driving is jeopardizing my life. Texting should be treated like DUI. Anyone who is driving more than 10 over the speed limit, or is passing where he will force me to take evasive action is committing assault, and should be charged with assault if apprehended. Anyone who climbs up on my rear for the purpose of making me move over is a terrorist and should be jailed. Not all folks who beat the tar out of someone who does these things is guilty of a crime. It could be treated like self defense. Driving a vehicle does not excuse reckless endangerment. It's time the penalties for these things are appropriate for the crimes.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:30 pm

jandjgoldwing wrote:In my opinion, anyone who is not focusing FULL TIME on driving is jeopardizing my life. Texting should be treated like DUI. Anyone who is driving more than 10 over the speed limit, or is passing where he will force me to take evasive action is committing assault, and should be charged with assault if apprehended. Anyone who climbs up on my rear for the purpose of making me move over is a terrorist and should be jailed. Not all folks who beat the tar out of someone who does these things is guilty of a crime. It could be treated like self defense. Driving a vehicle does not excuse reckless endangerment. It's time the penalties for these things are appropriate for the crimes.

In a major way I agree with your analogy's but... (always a but somewhere)
that sure reeks of Liberalism.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:26 pm

Would like to see celllphones restricted as well as texting while driving but then I think whats the point when people are swerving across the road while playing with there infortainment centers. Riding home today I came up on a bad accident and the drivers looked like they were really going at it. Cops were there but maybe this was one of those accidents that should have been avoided. One vehicle definitely looked totalled.

And be careful out riding this holiday weekend. Be safe! :D

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Return to “Goldwing Chat”