Why Aren't You Riding?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Why Aren't You Riding?

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:53 pm

This question might have been asked before, and probably has been, but here goes anyway! Why aren't you riding?
Personally, I'm 69 years old, out of shape, and overweight! And I'll be honest with you. In the past 2 or 3 years there have been times that I've found myself being forced to make an extra effort, just to get my bike out and go for a ride. Especially if it's hotter'n'hell! I've ridden for nearly 40 years and always loved it. It's been a huge part of my life, and I've ridden many miles. But now, I find my enthusiasm waning, if you catch my drift. Once I'm on the bike it's totally different. Once I'm on the bike, and on the road, I don't want to stop. I could ride forever!
Does anybody else feel that their motorcycling days are winding down? And why are you feeling that way? Have you had a scare? Is it getting to be too much for you physically? Is there too much traffic? Your wife wants you to quit! It's too much effort! You can't think of any place new to ride. You can't hold your GoldWing up any more!! .............. Or what?................And how are you dealing with it?....................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

Bugmerc
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
1976 GL1000

Re: Why Aren't You Riding?

Postby Bugmerc » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:07 pm

In the short sense, I'm not riding because it's hot and humid and I had to take the truck to work today. I had to laugh when you said you don't ride when it's hot as hell!! :D You live in Canada! How hot does it get, 75 F? Today it's a nice round 103... better than expected though, the forecast was 107.

I'm not to your stage as I'm just getting back on two wheels after a long hiatus, my old bike had no storage so it was purely a fun trip kind of bike. I'm really glad I got the wing because it seems like I can't drive across town without having to stop somewhere to get something I need. I kind of have a shopping addiction, and the saddle bags just perpetuate my problem. Now I can stop and buy all kinds of stuff so I ride much more often than I used to. Of course now that I'm re-reading that sentence, I'm not so sure that's a good thing... ;)

I hope you don't stop riding, even though it's kind of scary out there sometimes...

Chris

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:15 pm

Currently ..... it's some 4 day old stitches inside my right leg near the groin.

The heat & humidity and all them sudden severe thunderstorms have killed a couple of rides .... I admit it. Fall and Spring and some pretty winter days are preferred .... as well as those summer days 85 or lower. 90 I start having second thoughts .... at 100, not unless I was caught out on it.

I'm only 62 and I still love riding my '85 GL1200 2 wheeler but we also added a GL1500 Trike to our stable in 2004 and the "Wife Unit" prefers that we ride that when she's along.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:52 pm

"Why Aren't You Riding?"
OH but I YAM, sailing like Popeye, riding hither and thither, all dithered and withered.

4+ years ago I sold my work vans, Illinoizzz vehicle taxes went sky-high.
..... (meandering thoughts) .....
I'll ride my Wing everywhere, snow, wind and rain will splatter, it JUST don't matter.
I hull my trailer on trips, yard sales, flea markets, groceries, even haul a few ladders.

There's a slight difference in fuel use, a van verses Wing.
Riding 3 times farther, this Wing lets me live like a king.

Winter? WHOOP-De-do, hat, gloves, some thicker socks,
neither do poor roads stop me, I'll even ride On-Da Rocks.
For me and Wing we roam, riding bar-less on my phone.
No plans to stay home, (cause I...) have this Wing to roam and a pen to poem.
"Why Aren't You Riding?"
WELL... I suppose'r you could be a poser, cause your Harley's is in the shop, all a-part'y.
. . . ya, I'm bad. :D
Last edited by FM-USA on Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:53 pm

Bugmerc wrote:I had to laugh when you said you don't ride when it's hot as hell!! :D You live in Canada! How hot does it get, 75 F? Today it's a nice round 103... better than expected though, the forecast was 107.

Yeah Chris, but it's a dry heat!! Lol :lol:......Just so you know, it's been an unusually warm summer up here in The Great White North. Just the other day it was 36ºC/97ºF, and with the humidity factored in it was 41ºC/106ºF. Where I live, that's hotter'n'hell!!
Tomorrow's supposed to be sunny and 26ºC/79ºF, and feeling like 31ºC/88ºF with the humidity. I think I might go for a ride.
I'll think about you! :lol: .............Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Bugmerc
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
1976 GL1000

Postby Bugmerc » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:01 pm

Wow Dave, that does sound hotter than hell! 97 with humidity is crazy! :o

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:42 am

Well I like to think that the heat is my biggest problem. At 72 I don't handle much over 90º very well. Nowhere to hide. Truth be told I have never liked to ride in the heat. Even at 35 when I first started touring the country I would only ride in the early part of the day. I still ride and the wife and I plan and look forward to our touring trips every year however the "urge" just isn't as strong as it once was for everyday riding. Now with 3 bikes I find it difficult to ride all of them to keep them in running condition. Thinking about selling two of them or maybe all three and getting a trike.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:03 am

dingdong wrote:Well I like to think that the heat is my biggest problem. At 72 I don't handle much over 90º very well. Nowhere to hide. Truth be told I have never liked to ride in the heat. Even at 35 when I first started touring the country I would only ride in the early part of the day. I still ride and the wife and I plan and look forward to our touring trips every year however the "urge" just isn't as strong as it once was for everyday riding. Now with 3 bikes I find it difficult to ride all of them to keep them in running condition. Thinking about selling two of them or maybe all three and getting a trike.

Well put Tom. That's the kind of feedback we all might be interested in. Enthusiasm for longer vacation trips, but day to day, not as much. I can definitely relate to that..........................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

vaughn
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl 1100 Aspencade

Postby vaughn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:07 pm

I was riding my 83 Aspencade all the time, but last week I went to the ER and they admitted me with UTI that turned sepsis, life threading blood infection. Spent 4 days on IV and antibiotics . Now the medicine I'm on makes me dizzy. I'm 63 and 2 years ago I was riding my Goldwing and had a mini stroke. So far my golden years aren't going so well. Hope to get to riding again soon . Was wanting to ride down to the Smoky mountains this fall , but will postpone that .

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Postby Rusty Bike » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:42 pm

Well, I bought this 86 SEi in April. Took it for a 30 mile ride after all the salt was off the roads then tore it down. Bike lasted one lifetime with very little maintenance, just like their suppose to. Now I'm getting it straightened out. Cosmetically it is very nice but the more you dig, the more you find to fix. Getting close now, just in time for cooler weather. I don't think i would enjoy being behind that fairing in 90 deg. heat anyhow. Summer is worse then winter for me, I like the cold and drive my car with the window down when it's 40 deg! I'm retiring this October at 61. If all works out, I think a ride to see my Uncle in Alaska next summer would make a good trip. I'm just north of Pittsburgh. ROCK-N-ROLL BABY...

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:21 pm

At 53yrs of age I am thinking I only have so many years before I have to stop riding and I want to enjoy riding as much as I can until then. I'm a diabetic so I dont handle the heat well anymore. I've had mild heat exhaustion while riding and felt sick when I finally made it safely home. And then I think how dumb I am to do that. Its never intentional but I have to ride smarter than that. I guess its just enjoying the ride so much and not wanting it to end. When the weather is milder I can ride for hours. Could never do that when I was riding sport bikes. Maybe 90 minutes at the most and had to stop because I had to stretch my legs. I love the Goldwing for that and I'm enjoying riding in such a different way.

Knowing that prime summer heat months may curb my riding a little due to high temps I really try to make the most of the transition months like spring and fall. And I picked up some gear to help me keep on riding when the temps get cooler. Last year I was riding in very late December and then again in the following February. Thats not bad for the northeast.

Also knowing that as I get older I may need to consider a trike or can am or a hack. All 3 would be ok with me. Maybe have one of those and a little bike also just to keep on having fun on 2 wheels if I can. Hoping to sort that out before I retire which is still a ways off. :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:24 pm

Happytrails wrote:I'm a diabetic so I dont handle the heat well anymore. I've had mild heat exhaustion while riding and felt sick when I finally made it safely home. And then I think how dumb I am to do that. Its never intentional but I have to ride smarter than that. I guess its just enjoying the ride so much and not wanting it to end.

That's a very true point you make about having to ride smarter as time goes on. And also, your point about becoming a bit complacent and, "not wanting it to end." I think that with most long term riders, if we have any sense at all, we inherently try to opt on the side of caution, but It's sometimes tough to maintain a high level of awareness when the ride itself is so captivating. Every once in a while a little wake-up call will bring you back, and tell you that maybe you should be paying more attention.
I'm sure, that once you do reach a point where you finally decide to park your bike for good, the chances are that your days posting to this forum may be over also. But it would be interesting, if possible, to hear from some former riders, and hear what your reasons were in finally calling it a day.
I dumped my bike the other day. No damage! I was moving out of a parking spot, and at one point, when I had almost completely stopped the bike, my front wheel got on the wrong side of one of those underground fuel tank filler caps, that have a tendency to sit slightly above the asphalt in a gas station. The bike started to go down. I know there was a time when I could have easily saved it, but the strength in my legs just isn't what it used to be. That was a, "wake-up call." :o

Dave
"Assume Nothing"

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:48 pm

Was just scrolling down when I saw this "Why Aren't You Riding?" and I thought that's perfect.
Right now I am back home. I should be entering New Mexico from the Oklahoma panhandle. But Jerry, my cousin and ex-boss, finally took off work and we left yesterday morning.
Why are we back home? He has rheumatoid arthritis and his hands got to hurting so bad he had to stop. About 6 weeks ago he got a steroid shot that made him feel like a new man.
He got a steroid shot last week that doesn't seem to be working at all. Guess we'll be making short trips on nice days.
He told me to go on, that he could make it back on his own but that just didn't seem right to me.
On the bright side, we made it home and only got sprinkled on twice. We beat the rain! ;)
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:27 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:Was just scrolling down when I saw this "Why Aren't You Riding?" and I thought that's perfect.
Right now I am back home. I should be entering New Mexico from the Oklahoma panhandle. But Jerry, my cousin and ex-boss, finally took off work and we left yesterday morning.
Why are we back home? He has rheumatoid arthritis and his hands got to hurting so bad he had to stop. About 6 weeks ago he got a steroid shot that made him feel like a new man.
He got a steroid shot last week that doesn't seem to be working at all. Guess we'll be making short trips on nice days.
He told me to go on, that he could make it back on his own but that just didn't seem right to me.
On the bright side, we made it home and only got sprinkled on twice. We beat the rain! ;)

I commend you! I have always believed that if you start the ride with someone you see it through and if there is a problem you stay and work it out and if that is a ride back home then so be it! Ride well done!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:36 pm

If I would have continued without him, I would have felt like I had abandoned him. I couldn't have enjoyed the trip and besides, he wouldn't do that to me. We're riding partners. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:22 pm

It appears that you and I were raised along the same moral and ethical lines. Thank you for your kind words.

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:14 pm

i have been riding but I haven't been riding the wing much. the mighty ST 1300 had 29,4xx miles on it when I started riding this spring and now it has 40,5xx miles on the clock. I've done a lake Michigan and lake Huron IBA ride, been to visit near st. catherines, on. ca. and niagra falls on both sides. ohio is my play ground, don't know how many trips I've made there. tn, ga, sc, nc were visited too. two trips to va and two trips to wv
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:17 pm

I'm definitely not riding this year anywhere near as much as I have in past years. The main reason: I used to ride to work every day, which was about 35 miles each way.

However, I have a new job now, which is literally two miles from my house - I could walk there! I just can't bring myself to spend ten minutes gearing up and getting the bike out, warmed up and ready to go, to spend two minutes riding to work. :(

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:23 pm

Suit up and leave 20-30 minutes early. It'll make your day start off in a GREAT MOOD. ;)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

jgarrett
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Limited, GL1200L

Postby jgarrett » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:44 am

I have been riding since I was 8 years old and got a Bridgestone Chibi and things have changed drastically in the last 10 years. I have had more really close calls in the last 3 years than all those before and ALL for ONE reason, cell phones. I was going around a corner and for some reason looked over at the side road and a pickup was coming and I knew he wasn't going to stop at the stop sign but didn't predict the left turn. My front tire was inches from his door and a cell phone was still stuck to his head! This has become almost commonplace nowadays and it's taken a lot of the fun out of it for this now older man. John....

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Postby wing rider 2012 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:05 am

I've only had the bike out 4 times this summer. We got custody of our grandchildren, age 6 and 10, and this really put a damper on our riding. I also tore my rotor cuff in my shoulder, it was just to painful to do any riding. Maybe next summer will be better.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:36 am

jgarrett wrote:I have been riding since I was 8 years old and got a Bridgestone Chibi and things have changed drastically in the last 10 years. I have had more really close calls in the last 3 years than all those before and ALL for ONE reason, cell phones. I was going around a corner and for some reason looked over at the side road and a pickup was coming and I knew he wasn't going to stop at the stop sign but didn't predict the left turn. My front tire was inches from his door and a cell phone was still stuck to his head! This has become almost commonplace nowadays and it's taken a lot of the fun out of it for this now older man. John....

Glad you got away with that one. :o I had a similar experience recently. No cell phone involved, although I'm not 100% certain of that. Just a young girl with a complete lack of attention to what she was doing.
My son was learning to drive a few years ago. Knowing how much he liked playing, and especially winning games of skill, I would suggest to him that driving a car was similar to playing a game. I said most games have a start point, and a goal to reach if you want to win the game. I said, “you like a good challenge.”. You don’t have to drive fast, because you don’t need to get to the goal first to win. You simply have to be the one who gets to the goal with the fewest points against. Try to get there, accumulating “ZERO” points. That’s the challenge. Every single mistake you make, is a point against. It’s entirely defensive driving. Obey all the rules 100% of the time. Keep your mind on what you’re doing, and always be aware of everything that’s happening around you. concentrate on making "NO" mistakes. Plan your play, and play your plan! Always stay vigilant. And always assume nothing!
I try to ride, using that philosophy as much as I can. I think it works. I’m still here. But I too am getting older, and at times the mind does wander. How do you deal with that :?:

Any comments?..Storys?………………..Dave
"Assume Nothing"

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Postby wing rider 2012 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:51 am

Dave, my wife and I had an experience with a driver using a cell phone when she should have been driving. We were just returning home from a ride, and approached a freeway on ramp, I looked over at the traffic coming on the on ramp and commented to my wife, "we need to watch out for the gal in the red suv", by my calculations of the speed I was going and her speed we would intersect shortly, I slowed down because this gal had no clue on what was going on around her, sure enough she entered the freeway and came across 3 lanes of traffic right in front of me. Had I not seen her on the on ramp she most likely would have sent my wife and I to the hospital.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby dtrider » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:51 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I'm definitely not riding this year anywhere near as much as I have in past years. The main reason: I used to ride to work every day, which was about 35 miles each way.

However, I have a new job now, which is literally two miles from my house - I could walk there! I just can't bring myself to spend ten minutes gearing up and getting the bike out, warmed up and ready to go, to spend two minutes riding to work. :(

Back when the concept of telecommuting was getting started I knew a guy who when he first started working from home found that he had a hard time getting into "work mode". He solved that by going back to his old routine. He would still dress for work, then go out to the garage and drive to work - basically driving around the block so that he could transition his mind from "home mode" into "work mode".

You could do the same sort of thing. Go ahead and gear up, then take a longer rambling route to work to make it worth your while. I currently only have a 6 mile commute, but I've been known to take an hour or more to do it. Remember the motorcyclist prayer: Dear Lord, Please let there be enough gas in my motorcycle to get me home after work even with the 2 hr detour I plan to take along the way
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

jandjgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500, 1992 FXDC, 1976 CB750

Postby jandjgoldwing » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:48 pm

My wife and I take a ride about once a week. I guess we don't "Live to ride, ride to live".
Most of the time, we head East from our home near Bradenton, occasionally going for a short ride to lunch, taking longer rides to the beaches or just for the scenery.
We're both retired, and we both own bikes. But we also do other things (like walking, sleeping in, going to our clubhouse, pools and gym), so riding is just one way we enjoy retirement.
We just came back from a 4 day trip to the Daytona area, where we had lived for many years. Never touched an interstate or toll road. We love the beaches there. This year, we found, on the internet, some folding chairs with umbrellas attached made by "Sport Brella" that bungee onto the trunk of my 'wing. There are some beaches on the Gulf that have changing rooms, so we can now ride our scoots to a beach, change into bathing suits, sit in the shade of our own umbrellas, and have lunch a waterfront café.
As far as risk... I'm 72, so one cynical way to look at it (in the land of Dale Earnhart wannabees driving pickup trucks at twenty mph over the speed limit) is that our scoots may be insurance against growing old. Almost collected on that several times in the past few weeks. In Central Florida, a solid yellow line is apparently a guideline.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”