Getting All I Can In

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
gamartin
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate

Getting All I Can In

Postby gamartin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:27 pm

Gang,
I just found out that a blood condition i had for 3.5 yrs has now migrated to a rare blood cancer (Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia. This explains why my feet at times acting like they are the feet of a bad diabetic. They are going to fast track the treatment, due to what they say is my younger age :) . Mostly it is found in 65-75 yr old men and I'll hit 58 this year. The first 4 rounds of treatment will be a genetically modified coating to mark the bad cancer cells for destruction by my body. If that gets the numbers down, then that will be it for this year. If it doesn't, then I get to do the same drug accompanied with chemo for (4) six week cycles.

Anyway I realized today, that on the 26th when they start treatments, I will not be able to ride anymore, probably for the year. (Since my immune system will be extremely lowered and I expect to experience muscle weakness. So I am going to get as much riding in as I can for the nest copule of weeks.

Since this cancer is non-curable, they treat it when the numbers get bad, then I could have a 18 month-4 year cycle before another treatment if they stay to the good, so I am not planning on getting rid of the wing yet. I think having it around will help me want to keep pushing thru on those bad days that come.

I just want to say that this forum and group of people are the best! I have learned so much about my wing from all of you! I will continue to stalk the site, passing any info I can that would be helpful that I have learned here.

I am already starting to plan a ride around Lake Michigan next year with a buddy. Gotta have hope and keep taking it one step at a time!

cjeffers9
Motorcycle: 1978 gl 1000 1982 gl1100 aspencade 1989 gl1500

Re: Getting All I Can In

Postby cjeffers9 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:55 pm

Sorry to hear this . I'm going through chemo treatments also every two weeks and only have 3 or 4 days when I feel well enough to leave the house but still get a day or two of rides in . It seems best for the depression. Never give up on a goldwing. Best thing to ever happen to my!! Well that and my love Connie Stay strong and ride long !

Bugmerc
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
1976 GL1000

Postby Bugmerc » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:06 pm

Wow, I wish you all the best in your treatment! Keep planning those trips!
Chris

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:44 am

Thank you for sharing this most personal information with us. I am sure everyone on this site wishes you well and that you will be able to get back on the bike as soon as possible after your round of treatment.

You will be in my prayers.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:53 am

Keep your head up and tail in the saddle.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

gamartin

Postby gamartin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:24 am

Thanks guys for the encouragement! Just taking it one day at a time.

I did get in a 150 mile trip yesterday, it was gerat to get out a clear my head for a while. :D

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:11 pm

Hope everything goes well with your treatments. Good to take things one day at a time and keeping the wing has got to be good therapy! :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:50 am

Best wishes to you and yours from Arizona.

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:16 pm

Ride safe, ride often, stay positive.

We're all wishing you the best! ;)
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:06 pm

This damn cancer is just affecting far too many people I know.

What I can say, from those close to me who have fought it, is that a positive attitude is half the battle. Keep yourself in a positive headspace, and your immune system will help out with the fight.

Here's to successful treatments and a good long life!

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:33 pm

Warm thoughts have been sent your way.

There are a lot of people in your "corner", so keep smiling, riding, and enjoying. Best wishes.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

kwild
Motorcycle: 84 Standard
85 Aspencade

Postby kwild » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:58 am

Tough news, I know. Wait and see how you feel. I was diagnosed with Advanced stg 4 renal cell cancer in December after having a kidney w/ large tumor removed, discovered numerous nodules in all lobes of my lungs, was told 24 months. I was on daily oral chemo for 3 months (failed) that left me feeling extremely poor, but I always felt better on the bike almost every weekend. Phase 2 has been infusions of Opdivo every two weeks since April (excellent response). While not a cure I feel much better and lung nodules have decrease dramatically. My cancer is also considered not curable at this time. I find riding to be a great therapy. I too am young, will turn 57 this month.
My point is, ride as long as you feel safe. Only you will know if you are too ill or fatigued to ride. Live life as normal as before and enjoy the things that make you happy (my wife agrees). Best wishes, on your journey. Ride it till you can't.
84 Standard
85 Aspencade

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:27 am

I'm 61 now and fortunately my medical problems are few. I suspect, like me, most of the guys on here don't know either one of you with cancer.
But, like me, each and every one is sending you their prayers and best wishes for a long happy life.
And hopefully we'll meet on the highway sometime and maybe ride a few miles together. ;)
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

gamartin

Postby gamartin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:50 pm

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers!

Yesterday was the second treatment of four. It put me down most of the day. Last week it got better 5 days out from the treatment, so we will see. The worst is just being isolated from people due the possibility of catching something with no immune system to fight back.

But I was strong enough to get the wing properly tucked in for the winter, thank to the great info on this forum. You guys are awesome and I hope to run into some of you next riding season, for I am in it for the long haul. :)

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Postby raven41951 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:32 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Now that you have opened up, I will too so you will know you are not alone. My father had four brothers who all died of cancer, 2 were doctors. My father was the only brother not to die from cancer. My older brother (by 1.5 years) came down with prostate cancer and last year I had blood in the toilet.

Last year right kidney removed, large cancerous tumor. This year prostate removed, small cancerous tumor. No involvement in tissues or lymph system, no chemo, no radiation.

I expect it will be back eventually but I am not letting it slow me down. Yes, I lost a bunch of riding time over the last few years, but as I just got my Mediscare card (turning 65 in Nov) that means next year I retire, as much as one can when you own a business. I am lucky to have a daughter who can run most of the show and I can do most of my work remotely.

So that means sometime after next summer, probably the summer of '18, I will be going on a two month Goldwing tour of the USA, starting in New England travelling northern US to Washington to visit the grandchildren with many stops along the way. North to Alaska then south to Colorado (family), Arizona, Utah, Oklahoma, east toward the Smoky Mountains then home, maybe. Currently making a list of where to stop, I get a lot of ideas from this forum, but it will remain fluid. Hope to see you on my way through Indiana.

I think it might be fun to publish my list and see how many can meet and ride along the way. I've been hemming and hawing, but now that it is in print, I am committed.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”