Chromium prices?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
cruzan_papa
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing GL1100

Chromium prices?

Postby cruzan_papa » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:44 pm

What's goin on my fellow goldwingers?! I got a question. Ok so i wanna get a few parts on my bikr sent off to get chromed while other parts are gonna be sent off to paint. While all that is goin on im gonna take the time to replace a bunch of other parts, and im even thinking to paint the engine block in black (if you know of a great brand that can withstand high heat,let me know plz). Im even dreading that cuz...well...im not a good painter lol. Anyways my question is how do chroming companies come up with prices? Im gonna have any where from 15 to 20 pieces total. Also i live in leominster massachusetts, so if any one knows of any chromium companies out here let me know too. Thanks guys!

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Re: Chromium prices?

Postby FM-USA » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:04 pm

It won't matter where you live, it IS going to be very expensive.
No thanks to our (*%&# #%*%&) Gov. :evil:
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

cruzan_papa

Postby cruzan_papa » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:17 pm

FM-USA wrote:It won't matter where you live, it IS going to be very expensive.
No thanks to our (*%&# #%*%&) Gov. :evil:

How do they even come with a quote? Like...you know what i mean? If someone wants you to change their oil for their bike or car you'd have a good idea in how you'd charge em...thats what i wanna know...how do they go about pricing? Lol i know its gonna be pricey, thats why im also wondering if i should just BUY the parts i want in chrome and skip the chroming of my own parts? If i knew how much they'll charge me then i can shop around for the same parts and compare

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:43 pm

Exact prices vary quite a bit so I can't help. Also there's very few here that may have a price.
Couple years ago I gave up looking for a reasonable price for mid to small parts. If I must I will spray paint it.
I don't hear good things about spray chrome, to soft.

Customer of mine has his own business. When he needs anything chromed it's $140.00 minimum, even if it's one little screw.
Extreme I know but it's the latest price I know.

Have you looked into doing it yourself, electro plating or you want just normal chrome?
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

cruzan_papa

Postby cruzan_papa » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:54 pm

FM-USA wrote:Exact prices vary quite a bit so I can't help. Also there's very few here that may have a price.
Couple years ago I gave up looking for a reasonable price for mid to small parts. If I must I will spray paint it.
I don't hear good things about spray chrome, to soft.

Customer of mine has his own business. When he needs anything chromed it's $140.00 minimum, even if it's one little screw.
Extreme I know but it's the latest price I know.

Have you looked into doing it yourself, electro plating or you want just normal chrome?

I have thought about polishing it myself, but how long does that last? And i've heard that i'll have keep re-polishing it every few months. I don't know. But right now i can't even find the fork sleeves that i want in chrome lol

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Fork sleeves? Will chrome exhaust pipe work? Maybe chrome sink tubes. Cut to fit.

After cleaning the chrome (not perfect) use aluminum foil and rub hard. What I understand is the aluminum deposits in the rust pores and looks like chrome. Once satisfied, clear coat or that "Once a year polish" stuff.

Other thoughts and things I done...

"Finish 2000" and 2 coat it. I have it and it works OK. Real easy to quick wipe clean and apply a coat every 4-6 months.

I wrote the Rain-X company and they said in it's liquid form it's poisonous when ingested but safe once dried and polished. I used it on our ceramic floor tile on the counter top and it lasted 7 months. Dried food easily popped off. Had a nice shine too all that time. As of this writing, we're still alive. :D

cruzan_papa

Postby cruzan_papa » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:14 pm

FM-USA wrote:Fork sleeves? Will chrome exhaust pipe work? Maybe chrome sink tubes. Cut to fit.

After cleaning the chrome (not perfect) use aluminum foil and rub hard. What I understand is the aluminum deposits in the rust pores and looks like chrome. Once satisfied, clear coat or that "Once a year polish" stuff.

Other thoughts and things I done...

"Finish 2000" and 2 coat it. I have it and it works OK. Real easy to quick wipe clean and apply a coat every 4-6 months.

I wrote the Rain-X company and they said in it's liquid form it's poisonous when ingested but safe once dried and polished. I used it on our ceramic floor tile on the counter top and it lasted 7 months. Dried food easily popped off. Had a nice shine too all that time.

Yea maybe i'll polish it...i saw a few vids on youtube and on how to do it using a dremel.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:27 pm

Sorry couldn't help ya on the re-chrome. Once I heard the price went sky high, I gave up.

Talked to a few shops that used to do it and all said our gov is choking businesses to death with regulations. Well regulations are good but those regulations should have a viable alternative to keep costs down not increase.

I screamed bloody hell (well sort'a) when galvanized screws were removed and painted deck screws went in their place. Cost difference was 275% :o
I raised such a stink that the deck screws were brought down in price to (EH) something reasonable. We don't need expensive deck screws when hanging Green-Board in baths. Go figure, 3 years later the galv-screws came back on the shelves. Guess us buyers screams made a difference. ;)

cruzan_papa

Postby cruzan_papa » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:36 pm

FM-USA wrote:Sorry couldn't help ya on the re-chrome. Once I heard the price went sky high, I gave up.

Talked to a few shops that used to do it and all said our gov is choking businesses to death with regulations. Well regulations are good but those regulations should have a viable alternative to keep costs down not increase.

I screamed bloody hell (well sort'a) when galvanized screws were removed and painted deck screws went in their place. Cost difference was 275% :o
I raised such a stink that the deck screws were brought down in price to (EH) something reasonable. We don't need expensive deck screws when hanging Green-Board in baths. Go figure, 3 years later the galv-screws came back on the shelves. Guess us buyers screams made a difference. ;)

Hahaha ahh yea all those a**holes care about is more money in their pockets. I swear its their fault why everything is movin over seas. Well im still looking around for parts in chrome. Do you know of a brand of clear coat that can deal with high heat? If im gonna polish i need a really good clear coat.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:00 pm

I read last year there is a clear engine paint that takes heat. Brand unknown, I just remember it's a new product. Gives the engine the 'wet look'.

Acrylic clear (IF i remember) can take 275*F ???

The water base clear coat on our Wings holds up to temps. Panels near the exhaust never fail. MAYBE?

cruzan_papa

Postby cruzan_papa » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:10 pm

FM-USA wrote:I read last year there is a clear engine paint that takes heat. Brand unknown, I just remember it's a new product. Gives the engine the 'wet look'.

Acrylic clear (IF i remember) can take 275*F ???

The water base clear coat on our Wings holds up to temps. Panels near the exhaust never fail. MAYBE?

Kool beans dude! Now on to solving the mystery of the brand name then who sells it...to the wing-mobile!!

Mr Magic Fingers
Motorcycle: 1991 1500A

Postby Mr Magic Fingers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:59 am

Chrome plating is getting harder to find and more expensive because of it. It uses and produces tremendous amounts of toxins in the process which is why it's starting to disappear. Dealing with the waste is extremely expensive but you just can't let this stuff get into the environment.

For things that truly need the hardness of Chromium (for things like forks and tools and such) that process will be around for a while yet.

However, there are newer processes that that produce incredible results that are extremely durable is you want the look of chrome. I am not talking about the "Duplicolor" styles of paint but a newer process that for some reason not a lot of people know about. Basically you are "mirrorizing" and object with silver between two layers of paint.

It can be applies to ANYTHING... plastic, cloth, leather, glass, metal... anything.

I have see items in person that have been put through this process and you would have never known that these were not chromed including tire rims. These did not even have scratches on them from the tire mounting process. It was quite incredible.

Here a few links to show you the process.

Tim

The process...

Leather (I think) being done...

Tim
Last edited by Mr Magic Fingers on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
1) Experience - something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT? WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER?

My PHOTO ALBUM http://goldwingdocs.com/UserPictures/Mr-Magic-Fingers_39232

Mr Magic Fingers

Postby Mr Magic Fingers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:01 am

I should also add that there are home version kits of this available too so you can do this at home.

Tim

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:36 am

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:I should also add that there are home version kits of this available too so you can do this at home.

Tim

That's what I was looking for this morning.
I wasn't sure of its durability.
THANKS Tim from me on the info.

cruzan_papa is looking for heat resistant finish. How high of a temp will this tolerate?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:49 am

Due to the toxicity of chroming, it has become very expensive. It is far cheaper to buy Chinese chromed parts, than to get your parts chromed in North America. They do not have to worry about lives and illness due to toxicity in China, so they do not have to surcharge for clean environments. Chroming of metal parts is not done with Chromium, but with nickel. Chromium is a metal used in Brake Rotors if you want them to last. It is sort of a rust reduction system, but they do not use it any more, so you get rusted rotors that do not last long on cars and trucks. Just some information for you. Also, one of the best chroming companies is in Florida, but I no longer remember their name. They triple plate a lot for the Harley guys.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

cruzan_papa

Postby cruzan_papa » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:19 am

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:Chrome plating is getting harder to find and more expensive because of it. It uses and produces tremendous amounts of toxins in the process which is why it's starting to disappear. Dealing with the waste is extremely expensive but you just can't let this stuff get into the environment.

For things that truly need the hardness of Chromium (for things like forks and tools and such) that process will be around for a while yet.

However, there are newer processes that that produce incredible results that are extremely durable is you want the look of chrome. I am not talking about the "Duplicolor" styles of paint but a newer process that for some reason not a lot of people know about. Basically you are "mirrorizing" and object with silver between two layers of paint.

It can be applies to ANYTHING... plastic, cloth, leather, glass, metal... anything.

I have see items in person that have been put through this process and you would have never known that these were not chromed including tire rims. These did not even have scratches on them from the tire mounting process. It was quite incredible.

Here a few links to show you the process.

Tim

The process...

Leather (I think) being done...

Tim

Thanks tim i have heard of spectra chrome before but thought it would be more expensive. My only concerns with that is how does it hold up with high temps? I know its really durable but do t know how it'll hold up when im out on the highway stuck in traffic and its 90 degrees out lol yea thats a situation that would suck to be in but we all know it does happen. Now its to find out who in MA does it. I dnt ha e a garage myself, or id just buy the system and i could use that to make a few extra bucks myself lol theres an idea lol

Mr Magic Fingers

Postby Mr Magic Fingers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:45 am

cruzan_papa wrote:
Thanks tim i have heard of spectra chrome before but thought it would be more expensive. My only concerns with that is how does it hold up with high temps? I know its really durable but do t know how it'll hold up when im out on the highway stuck in traffic and its 90 degrees out lol yea thats a situation that would suck to be in but we all know it does happen. Now its to find out who in MA does it. I dnt ha e a garage myself, or id just buy the system and i could use that to make a few extra bucks myself lol theres an idea lol

I know that it is somewhat durable in the fact that I have seen this used in rims. It puts me in the mind of powder coating... almost. I really have not seen much of it. Temp at 90f? I can's see why not. People are using this as regular paint on cars and bikes. They are in the hot sun all the time.

I would love to pickup a system like this and do that kind of work. I think there is money to make there for sure. Especially where you can so this to just about anything!

Tim

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:24 am

Here are some chrome plating prices in England which should give you some idea. Prices in the US will almost certainly be a lot cheaper. The "+vat" next to the price is tax, which is currently another 20% to add on. http://www.rschrome.co.uk/page_2638667.html
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:36 pm

As gooberment continues to STOMP on our "Free Enterprise" and our freedom to choose...
EVERYTHING is going to continue its upward spiral and priced out of our reach.

What I could see happening for 'Real Chrome' is a black market startup and flourish.
Like hidden meth labs so will there be hidden chrome labs. It's just a matter of economics. :geek:

[psssst]..."Hey, you want that little screw chromed?
See Guido down the street, knock 2 times and scratch once."

:shock:

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:06 pm

brettchallenger wrote:Here are some chrome plating prices in England which should give you some idea. Prices in the US will almost certainly be a lot cheaper. The "+vat" next to the price is tax, which is currently another 20% to add on. http://www.rschrome.co.uk/page_2638667.html

Oh, I WISH we could get prices like that!! The last item I had chromed (a bumper for a restored '40 Dodge) was $700...and that was 15 years ago! All our local chrome shops (there were several) were legislated out of business, so now any chroming requires shipping, as well. I'm really starting to appreciate highly-polished aluminum...I can do that myself!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”