The brand-new 2018 Goldwing?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Re: The brand-new 2018 Goldwing?

Post by landisr » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:20 pm

Yes, that Harley's styling is "dated", but for a very logical reason: It WORKS for many thousands of riders. They sell far more motorcycles here in the good ol' USA than Honda has sold Gold Wings. I have never owned a Harley in all my 50+ years of riding, but there may come a day... I really enjoy my 94A (180k) and my '76 (35k), but when it comes time for a replacement, between newly fixed income (retirement) plus the complexity of the new models, I will probably have to look for used, or possibly something smaller than a Wing. I understand the safety enhancements, and the need to compete for features and farkles, but I have reached the point where I feel I am no longer part of the new bike market, and it hurts.. :? :) But Honda really needs to get the new bike out NOW, or they'll still be a step behind because the competition will have moved forward again.

...I'm probably not making much sense, but at least I feel better... :lol:

Ron in AZ

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

drafter55
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by drafter55 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:30 pm

FM-USA wrote:Now I like that, Plug-N-Play, makes repairs and upgrades super EZ.
Go down to your GoldWing store and buy the base model. Check-off list of the add-ons you want and either they assemble it or you do.
In time you can buy, sell, or trade any then Plug-N-Ride. KEWL! 8-)

LOTS of Storage. DITTOES here. Hummmm... Now you're onto something, let's mix these two ideas.
Plug and unplug & play few different sizes of saddlebags for choice, from mere nothing panels to really large bags and trunks all integrated to look good in any configuration.

YA, I like these. :D
I too like the plug and play concept. For myself I enjoy adding options to a motorcycle. Simple projects such as a CB, driving lights, accent lights and hitches have provided hours of enjoyment in the workshop during rainy days. Most have been plug into factory harness.

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Post by squirrel » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:57 pm

Here's a thought, when the power's that be set about designing a new wing before putting pen to paper (or mouse to screen) why not ask wing owners/ websites what they can improve on .I.e making maintenance easier and all of the ideas and issues already raised here .im sure wingadmin could give them some pointers :-)

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:14 pm

squirrel wrote:Here's a thought, when the power's that be set about designing a new wing before putting pen to paper (or mouse to screen) why not ask wing owners/ websites what they can improve on .I.e making maintenance easier and all of the ideas and issues already raised here .im sure wingadmin could give them some pointers :-)
OHHhhh but they have and they watch almost all GoodWing web-sights along with other makes of motorcycles. They're keeping up on what we want and what they want to offer in a time frame from past models to 10-15-20 years from now.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

Paulcf
Motorcycle: not listed

Post by Paulcf » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:07 pm

If Honda was listening to all Goldwing owners out there to what we have been saying we wanted for years now, they would have introduced some of those items over the years as worthy new model enhancements (besides a boring new colour or fancy key fob), but they haven't. One reason may be that they just don't care and we will continue to buy/support Goldwings no matter what.

Since Honda makes cars (and airplanes, etc.) the Goldwing is probably a small fraction of their overall revenues. I have heard that the Goldwing has more parts than a Civic car, and I am sure that Civic's outsell the Goldwing by 10 to 1, 100 to 1, etc... You get the picture. Where are YOU going to focus your expensive engineering to if it was your company?

Harley Davidson meanwhile is a motorcycle manufacturing company (no cars, no airplanes, no outboard motors, lawn equipment, etc.) and you have to admire their newest touring motorcycles (I am !). A massive touch screen navi and info system that rivals any in a car! ABS standard! Bluetooth, etc. Very dynamic, modern, engaging colours (yes, other than black!) and so much more. HD KNOWS and LISTENS to its customers and that's why they are so loyal.

As for the new Goldwing, I sure hope it doesn't have that ugly front 'fork' thing! IF those types of front forks have been around for as long as some others have said, WHY hasn't Honda used it? Hmmm. I am sure hoping KuryAkyn can find something to cover it with if that contraption happens!

As for a hybrid motorcycle engine/s, I view that as useless. Fuel consumption in a limited use seasonal vehicle doesn't warrant the anticipated extra cost premium & service complexity it will be, nor will it do much for the fuel economy when I am getting 57 mpg on the highway on my GL1800. In a car, yes, but still such hybrid systems command a price premium with paybacks 10+ years and why buy it when you know very well that next year's hybrid model will be even better/cheaper/etc. as this technology is rapidly evolving every day.

So Honda, all you had to do was introduce a few improvements over the years to the Goldwing and we would all have been happy! A power windshield here, a 6th gear there (Yamaha did it easily on the FJR), a bluetooth setup if you want it (as a separate plug and play unit, like the CB radio or antiquated CD player for example), and, of course standard ABS on this heavy machine. One thing I want is LED lighting, so you can recoup a lot of space in the trunk and saddlebags for more carrying capacity and easier working/smaller alternator as a result.

Ride safe and wave!

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:13 pm

Well... I for one am not going to debate the difference between a constantly upgraded Model T verses a... ummm... ANYthing else.

Last edited by FM-USA on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:10 pm

Oh boy.... :roll: :)

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Cgaux1207071
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE Trike Lehman

Post by Cgaux1207071 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:04 am

Always has been a interstate and a SE. And sometimes a middle model
Tell me I am wrong but they are starting to look like rice rockets
FM-USA wrote:(Maynard G. Krebs)... "Like WOW man."
8-)
Looks like there MAYBE a split between GoldWingers soon, those who like more electronics and those who don't.
SOOOooo...
Maybe my thread about 'a different bike of choice' if GW's weren't made anymore could come into play.
If I can't find a GL1500 replacement I will definitely be looking at something else.
I really don't see any reason why there can't be 2 different versions of Wings, one full boat the other striped down to basics with less electronics.

WE WILL SEE :shock:

jandjgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500, 1992 FXDC, 1976 CB750

Post by jandjgoldwing » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:54 am

Your articles, from my point of view, are well researched, well written.

There are some features on every vehicle that I don't need. The main reason I prefer a Goldwing is that it is very comfortable. ("Fact Check": that's probably a lie, because I actually like to show the world that a 72 year old can ride a seriously large bike that's cooler than any other make of bike on the road). I like the ample storage, large windshield, cruise control, reverse and a queen seat for my queen (when she isn't on her own bike).

I once rode a Silverwing just to see what it would be like to ride a big scooter with automatic transmission. It was very strange, but I could learn to like it. All it has is two hand brakes and a throttle. My feet kept wanting to do things. If I get to a point where the Goldwing is too big for me, the next bike may be a large scooter like a Silverwing. This scooter, by the way, has more space and as much power as most motorcycles, and can blow the proverbial doors off most vehicles with doors.

There are some things on newer touring bikes I just don't need. The first is a $30k price tag. Then, there is a built-in stereo. Really, believe it or not, the surrounding vehicles at a stop light aren't impressed with Garth Brooks or Metallica (or both simultaneously) played at full volume on our bikes.

Another unnecessary feature is a built-in navigation system. I made that mistake in my car. The maps need to be updated, and in my car, that would be $200 bucks every other year. My wife and I both wear helmets with Sena, and both have iPhone's mounted where we can see the maps. Those maps don't need to be updated. Google Maps, in particular, offer a setting whereby routing can avoid highways, tolls and ferries. We set the same routes in both phones, then the instructions come through our helmets, interrupting music when necessary. We can make and take phone calls, play music and change routes without touching the phone, and can talk to each other on the intercom if necessary (and only if necessary). We can even do text messaging without looking at the screen or touching the phone.

It's unfortunate that we need to pay extra money to get features we would seldom use.

martinarial
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Interstate
1988 Goldwing
2000 Valkyrie Interstate
2001 ST1100

Post by martinarial » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:43 am

I've ridden motorbikes for over 40 years, and Goldwings for over 30 years, one day I'll own a GL1800...just waiting for the right deal to present itself (I NEVER buy new machines and I'll NEVER pay upwards of $30,000 for a bike)...I like innovations such as ABS and upgraded front suspension systems, but the day Honda comes up with a hybrid with automatic transmission is the day I'll drop my consideration for a Goldwing...I mean come on we're talking about a motorcycle, not a car! A roaring, buzzing, breathing engine and a manual transmission are in my opinion essential parts of the motorcycle experience...too bad the industry is getting caught up in the 'eco' frenzy.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:57 am

Honda is looking for a new demographic to continue with the GW. There is a lot of hype about the size of these bikes, the weight, and such that Honda has to start appealing to those who would more likely go with HD and BMW because their buddies have them. A lot of older men and women will probably appreciate an automatic/semi-automatic bike, only have to worry about keeping it upright at stops. I know people who like the trike issue because they only have to worry about shifting, not balancing as well - why not the other way round. BMW is producing sport bikes where you only use the clutch for first when starting out, after this its clutch less shifting up and down.

If Honda marks a corporate decision that would put the GW out to pasture, the implications for GW riders would be immense.

Have to be competitive and give what the people want, or suffer the issue of obsolescence.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:26 pm

OK, you're wrong. .. .. .. Gee, that was EZ.
OK, I see your point. I used the word, VERSIONS. I should have meant, MODELS. Like the differences of Aspencade and Valkyrie.
I was only mentioning about the electronics that are becoming rather EXTENSIVE verses those who want a basic motorcycle like VDO gauges and barrel trip meters.
Aspencade & Interstate are the same base model, the Interstate has less 'Bells & Whistles'.
'
Cgaux1207071 wrote:Always has been a interstate and a SE. And sometimes a middle model
Tell me I am wrong but they are starting to look like rice rockets
FM-USA wrote:(Maynard G. Krebs)... "Like WOW man."
8-)
Looks like there MAYBE a split between GoldWingers soon, those who like more electronics and those who don't.
SOOOooo...
Maybe my thread about 'a different bike of choice' if GW's weren't made anymore could come into play.
If I can't find a GL1500 replacement I will definitely be looking at something else.

I really don't see any reason why there can't be 2 different versions of Wings, one full boat the other striped down to basics with less electronics.

WE WILL SEE :shock:

captaindan
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1981 Gl1100 Interstate
1982 GL1100 Interstate
2006 GL1800

Post by captaindan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:55 am

Paulcf wrote:If Honda was listening to all Goldwing owners out there to what we have been saying we wanted for years now, they would have introduced some of those items over the years as worthy new model enhancements (besides a boring new colour or fancy key fob), but they haven't. One reason may be that they just don't care and we will continue to buy/support Goldwings no matter what.

Since Honda makes cars (and airplanes, etc.) the Goldwing is probably a small fraction of their overall revenues. I have heard that the Goldwing has more parts than a Civic car, and I am sure that Civic's outsell the Goldwing by 10 to 1, 100 to 1, etc... You get the picture. Where are YOU going to focus your expensive engineering to if it was your company?

Harley Davidson meanwhile is a motorcycle manufacturing company (no cars, no airplanes, no outboard motors, lawn equipment, etc.) and you have to admire their newest touring motorcycles (I am !). A massive touch screen navi and info system that rivals any in a car! ABS standard! Bluetooth, etc. Very dynamic, modern, engaging colours (yes, other than black!) and so much more. HD KNOWS and LISTENS to its customers and that's why they are so loyal.

As for the new Goldwing, I sure hope it doesn't have that ugly front 'fork' thing! IF those types of front forks have been around for as long as some others have said, WHY hasn't Honda used it? Hmmm. I am sure hoping KuryAkyn can find something to cover it with if that contraption happens!

As for a hybrid motorcycle engine/s, I view that as useless. Fuel consumption in a limited use seasonal vehicle doesn't warrant the anticipated extra cost premium & service complexity it will be, nor will it do much for the fuel economy when I am getting 57 mpg on the highway on my GL1800. In a car, yes, but still such hybrid systems command a price premium with paybacks 10+ years and why buy it when you know very well that next year's hybrid model will be even better/cheaper/etc. as this technology is rapidly evolving every day.

So Honda, all you had to do was introduce a few improvements over the years to the Goldwing and we would all have been happy! A power windshield here, a 6th gear there (Yamaha did it easily on the FJR), a bluetooth setup if you want it (as a separate plug and play unit, like the CB radio or antiquated CD player for example), and, of course standard ABS on this heavy machine. One thing I want is LED lighting, so you can recoup a lot of space in the trunk and saddlebags for more carrying capacity and easier working/smaller alternator as a result.

Ride safe and wave!
57MPG????? How are you doing that? I don't think I've ever hit 40!!!
I'm seeing a lot of price hikes with all the new bells and whistle features. My 1800 has ABS and I have ridden others without.....I won't buy another without it. A sixth gear and a manual transmission would be top of my list. Comfort in the seat is always a topic and I realize everyone's backside is different....but why not invest money into a seat second to none with electronic adjustments to fit more body types...The plug and play is an excellent idea....

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:52 am

captaindan wrote:57MPG????? How are you doing that? I don't think I've ever hit 40!!!
...The plug and play is an excellent idea....
Chalk up another for P&P electronics!

57mpg? .. ..
I got 57 on just a gallon,
I'm never invited on Jimmy Fallon.
So you think that's a real thrill,
turn key off and coast down hill.

One of my 'way out west' vacations I hit upper 70's on my XS1100, and yes some was down hill in neutral.
But I figure it this way, If I use extra fuel on the way up, it's a freebee to coast on the way down. ;)

'
Last edited by FM-USA on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paulcf

Post by Paulcf » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:45 am

57 mpg is easy!

However to achieve it (and I will break 60 mpg next year!) there are a number of steps you have to follow carefully and religiously. Are you ready & willing to commit to them?

If you are, maybe we should open up a new forum topic?

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:16 pm

57 mpg is easy if you're using Canadian gallons! :mrgreen:
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Paulcf

Post by Paulcf » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:37 pm

57mpg is equal to 47.5 mpg US gallon. Do you routinely get 47.5 mpg US gallon on your GL1800?

On one tank I got 62 mpg but just one tank. My average is 57 mpg imperial gallon or 47.5 mpg US gallon. I am working to get my average to 60 mpg.

I do NOT turn off my bike on downhills, or neutral it out, etc. and I am not a turtle either on the road!

Easy rider
Motorcycle: GL 1800 / 2013

Post by Easy rider » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:30 pm

I got average 5.8 litres / 100 km :lol:

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:00 pm

hummmmm... .. . . . wonder if it help putting the crank and pedals back on my bike? :?

:lol:

jandjgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500, 1992 FXDC, 1976 CB750

Post by jandjgoldwing » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:09 pm

I sure don't get anywhere near the gas mileage on my '88 GL1500 as some of y'all are getting on your 1800's. I need to stop every 180 miles for fuel, unless I want to get ulcers wondering how far it is to the next gas station.

From my perspective, gas mileage is a factor, and it's NOT because of the cost! I don't want every break from riding to be a stop for gas. My 'wing is so comfortable, I can easily go over 4 hours without the need to get off, and then it's probably because I need some food or a pee break. Sure, I can usually fuel, eat and pee at a gas station, but I'd rather have other options.

As far as weight... Well, the GL1500 is probably not on the list for most ladies. Size truly matters! I'm 5'10", and I can "flat foot" as long as the surface is uniform. Someone who is 5'8" or shorter will probably want to study the youtube flicks about how to stand a Goldwing back up when it falls over. I have friends who are around my age who ride 1800's, with their ladies on the back, and they seem to have less trouble keeping rubber side down when stopping.

If someone has ridden both a GL1500 and a GL1800, could you tell me whether the GL1800 is easier to keep up when stopping?

If Honda is listening, please make the suspension and steering improvements you advertise so that you can lower, lighten and increase fuel efficiency. Oh, and by the way, a few extra horse power is always appreciated.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:15 pm

jandjgoldwing wrote:I sure don't get anywhere near the gas mileage on my '88 GL1500 as some of y'all are getting on your 1800's. I need to stop every 180 miles for fuel, unless I want to get ulcers wondering how far it is to the next gas station.

As far as weight... Well, the GL1500 is probably not on the list for most ladies. Size truly matters! I'm 5'10", and I can "flat foot" as long as the surface is uniform. Someone who is 5'8" or shorter will probably want to study the youtube flicks about how to stand a Goldwing back up when it falls over. I have friends who are around my age who ride 1800's, with their ladies on the back, and they seem to have less trouble keeping rubber side down when stopping.

If someone has ridden both a GL1500 and a GL1800, could you tell me whether the GL1800 is easier to keep up when stopping?
I would routinely ask my late Father this very question about fuel economy every time he changed vehicles. His only comment was that when it needed fuel he put it in, he told me that if he couldn't afford the fuel he didn't drive. Very practical fellow.

As for the difference between the 1500 and 1800, can't say, but between an '85 1200 LTD and an 1800 that are equal in weight, the 1200 is easier to keep upright. I will caveat this by saying that both will go to ground if you are not paying attention. I would also recommend having the seat adjusted for your height and riding comfort. I've done this on both my 1200 and 1800.

I will also mention that I use the front and rear brake when stopping regardless of which bike I am riding, but stop with more rear brake than front brake applied. This has resulted in less issues when stopping both solo and two-up. Every time I ride, I try to stop consistently with my right foot on the rear brake and only touch down with my left foot. Don't always achieve this, but getting more consistent as I go.

Another thought on this is that GWs are seen as heavy bikes, not a lifestyle as seems with the HD. A similar weight HD does not get the same comments about the weight of the HD. Don't know why, but it seems to be the mindset out there.

As an aside, I prefer riding the 1200 as it is more nimble and just as comfortable as my 1800, especially since I got the seat adjusted for me at Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston, WA.

Just a few more thoughts on these great touring bikes.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:06 am

Call me old school because I don't care one way or the other if Honda adds more bells and whistles to the new Wing. I say Wing because who knows if it will remain an 1800. I don't want or need all the distractions of touch screens, blue tooth for phones, etc. I ride to get away from all that garbage. When on the bike I very seldom even listen to the sound system.
What might make me even consider owning one would be if they improved the ergonomics. I am only 5' 11" but have long legs and arms. I sit scrunched up with my knees touching the fairing and my elbows bent too much. Seat re-design would probably help in that respect. For a $30k machine it is a poorly designed uncomfortable seat. What's with those wings on the sides??? All they do is cut off the circulation. One shouldn't have to replace the stock seat with a seat that costs $800 / $1000 in order to get a comfortable ride.

As a side note: I have seen an 1800 get 49 mpg and my 1500 get 47mpg consistently but only while riding at higher elevation in the mountains out west.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Paulcf

Post by Paulcf » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:48 am

I too like simplicity when on my luxury Goldwing...I often will ride for a day or 2 and never turn on the stereo. You'll notice that I only mention Bluetooth as an extra plug and play device, kind of like a cartridge. If you need it, buy it and plug it in, like the CB Radio or the ancient CD player. I have absolutely no need for cell phone connectivity on my Goldwing!

I've only wanted the following: power adjustable windshield (my ST and FJR spoiled me there), a 6th gear and standard ABS brakes. Anything else I can manage on my own, thank you very much.

Maybe Honda should consider to treat and further develop the Goldwing like the Mazda Miata...lighter, nimble and back to basics. I have to agree with a previous post, my GL1200 was just as comfortable, etc. and lacked nothing that the GL1800 has. A smaller engine with less weight, exactly like a Miata! Easier to work on (eg: air filter!) and so on.

And that's probably why the FJR and ST1300 are so popular! Same for BMW's highly regarded R1200RT (vs. the K1600) and so on.

I've been watching and reading all I can about the MotoGuzzi Norge, a 1200 twin touring bike. It is pretty basic and must be very simple to work on/maintain and yet has the features I want and the nimbleness and ease of riding...Hmmmm.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:59 pm

Well, the news is out, and it looks like my prediction was correct:

The 2017 Goldwing has NO new changes.

In fact, there are even less options than in previous years.

A new color: The grey/black in the 2016 model has been replaced with blue/black. Also available is red, and white (only on models with XM and navigation).

The equipment packages are the same as in previous years, except this news: The Airbag Goldwing is no longer available. I suspect this is due to the air bag recall involving Takata, or it could just be cost-saving on the part of Honda.

Let's hope my prediction for the 2018 Goldwing comes true!

The Honda page describing the 2017 Goldwing:

http://powersports.honda.com/2017/gold- ... tions.aspx

Options and pricing
Options and pricing

Colors
Colors

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:10 pm

Well how interesting. In the "innovations" section they list a 1832cc, liquid cooled, fuel injected engine. Oh boy! Just what we've been waiting for.

:lol: That's really stretching the defination of innovation.

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.