The brand-new 2018 Goldwing?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
captaindan
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1981 Gl1100 Interstate
1982 GL1100 Interstate
2006 GL1800

Re: The brand-new 2018 Goldwing?

Post by captaindan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:36 pm

dingdong wrote:Well how interesting. In the "innovations" section they list a 1832cc, liquid cooled, fuel injected engine. Oh boy! Just what we've been waiting for.

:lol: That's really stretching the defination of innovation.
I'm excited about the shaft drive :D

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:54 pm

And the wind protection too

Woo hoo!.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:01 pm

to me, and maybe its just ONLY me, it looks like a high priced BMW touring bike. it doesn't have the "panache" and style of the pre 1990's Honda goldwings. one would think Honda would have done better with the body works.

stuart.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:05 pm

dingdong wrote:Well how interesting. In the "innovations" section they list a 1832cc, liquid cooled, fuel injected engine. Oh boy! Just what we've been waiting for.

:lol: That's really stretching the defination of innovation.

"IF" they did the usual CC push, the innovation would be an ALL(most) new 1850cc GoldWing. :?
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

jandjgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500, 1992 FXDC, 1976 CB750

Post by jandjgoldwing » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:47 am

Probably one of the last things I'd want is Sirius Radio and Satellite Navigation, both of which require an ongoing committment either for subscription or for updates. $2,900 for these? Really? It makes me think that Honda is playing us for fools.
My iPhone has music (iTunes and Pandora) and GPS maps (with traffic, if so choose), no extra charges, always up to date.

And, in order to get something I would want (ABS Anti-lock brakes), I would need to buy both packages.

My wife's new Kawasaki Vulcan has ABS brakes standard. So far, she's not had a need for them.

Has anyone had experiences with ABS brakes? Under what conditions do they provide better stopping capabilities than standard?

Hiding from Hurricane Matthew right now, hoping it doesn't get here. This is one of the costs of living where one can ride 300 days of the year.

rachester67
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by rachester67 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:15 pm

The weight issue between HD and GW I think I can provide some insight. Rode HD Ultra Classics for 10 years before the GW. Side by side curb weight is very close however it seems that the majority of the weight on the HD is lower thus it seems lighter. I can tell you having dropped both on the ground a few times the HD is much easier to upright than the GW. Before you ask every year I participate in Police motorcycle style cone training to keep my skills up and it usually gets dropped at least once.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:45 pm

WOW! That's very odd.
A bud of mine asked how heavy my bike was to pick up. So I laid it down and he couldn't believe how EZ it was. He did the same for me of his. He has a full bagger like the Wing.
Now mind you the angles were pretty close to the same for both bikes. HOLY KRAP! :o did I grunt just getting it started.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

Dark Angel
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800

Post by Dark Angel » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:25 am

As a young wippersnapper, Just 52, I have the base model 2015 wing. There are a few small things they should change. Power outlets front and rear should be standard. Airfilter access should be easier. Better paint. ABS standard I suppose for sales. Although not really a concern to me. The brake system is excellent and I can't imagine how ham fisted you would have to be to lock it up especially if using the standard one finger on the front. I have tried to lock it in tests and have not been able using regular techniques. I have no issues with forks diving when braking. Another gear would be nice. Stock tires are excellent, no issues at all with any wobble from steering head. Belly pan over the coolant at least. LED lights. That is about it. I average 41.5 MPG US. The new wind management is superb. The current seat is perfect for my 5'9" 160lb athletic body. This is hands down the perfect motorcycle. Balance and low speed handling are amazing. I have to drive through grass around the truck and camper to get to and from the garage and there is a slope and some holes to ride though. Using standard 2nd gear, rear brake drag, slip clutch with revs technique I can literally crawl through the grass and make 2 straight up 90s fully loaded with a passenger. Amazing machine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's heaven and hell. RJD

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:48 pm

FM-USA wrote:WOW! That's very odd. He has a full bagger like the Wing. [/b]
I missed something....
He has a HD full bagger.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:53 pm

FM-USA wrote:
I missed something....
He has a HD full bagger.
LOL Speed reading are we?
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:15 am

dingdong wrote:
FM-USA wrote:
I missed something....
He has a HD full bagger.
LOL Speed reading are we?
More like speed writing and not re-reading.
I just RALPHED it out there. :D

pidjones
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800A
1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine (project)

Post by pidjones » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:10 am

I'll jump in with a prediction that no major changes will happen until there is a major up-swing in the USA (primary target for the GoldWing) economy to justify the extreme price that will be demanded. I'll also predict that if the world and USA economy continue to stagnate, the 'wing will either be suspended or perhaps even down-sized. Not what you want to hear? Me neither, but it is what I see coming. Honda is a very smart company - the only Japanese auto producer that didn't register a loss through the late 200X period. They don't really care about what we want - they care about what we will buy and how much we are willing to pay. Also, service (parts and labor) - the real profit generator - is booming on the GL1800 platform. As low maintenance as it is, my insurance just paid the cost of a sport bike to have mine repaired after a get-off that caused zero frame/running gear damage.

richard999
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Post by richard999 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:16 am

offcenter wrote: ...and I do NOT want an automatic transmission on anything,
ESPECIALLY my motorcycle!!
Riding in the amount of traffic I do I WANT an auto trans. Heck, even my Corvette has an auto.

Paulcf
Motorcycle: not listed

Post by Paulcf » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:20 am

If Honda doesn't care about us and introducing a new Goldwing, guess what? Neither do I care about Honda! I maintain the entire motorcycle myself, have only been to a dealer ONCE in 13 years for the recall (rear master brake cylinder). The previous recalls were done by the previous owner. I NEVER buy new, and as a licensed automotive dealer, I think I know a few things.

I think the 'stuff' most of us want is pretty basic: ABS standard (so no re-engineering needed there). Power windshield but I can live with what I have now with a vent. A 6th gear would be nice but I still manage to get 57 mpg and cruise all day doing 600-700 mile days without vibration or stress. Most anything else you need you can easily get from Wingstuff, etc.!

So for me, I'm fine as is. IF they introduce a new model with the above 3 items standard, I'll wait a few years and pick one up after the bulk of depreciation has gone thru it.

Sawdust62
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL1500A Aspencade (Not for Sale!)
1999 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours (Sold) missing it already...:(
2004 Kawasaki VN1500 Vulcan
1982 Honda CB900C (Sold)

Post by Sawdust62 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:59 pm

OutdoorPhotoMan wrote:Before anyone shuts down the idea of an automatic bike, go try one. I've ridden 60 bikes (and just bought the 60th one I've ridden). I feel the same about shifting gears on bikes as I do on cars: There's a time and a place where it is fun, and a time and place where it is just in the way and makes for a sloppy ride. My Mustang GT automatic could shift gears far faster than I could when gripping the wheel in accelerating turns. My CTX700 and NM4 are awesome when riding across town, where every stoplight is guaranteed to turn red, and stay red until you are sunburned or hail damaged. Imagine sitting at a red light without having to do the downshift-recheck dance or hold the clutch in. Imagine not having to downshift at all, but feeling the bike do it for you while you keep an eye on the texting teenager coming up behind you.
I agree 100%. I live and work in the Atlanta, GA area and 18 miles can take an hour or more of stop/go traffic. My hand cramps up and the clutch starts to grab when it overheats. Not sure if a dual clutch will prevent overheating, but I'm for it for the ease of use while commuting. 35 mpg beats the 14mpg I get with my F-150 but the constant shifting SUCKS!

Dave Crook
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing
1995 Aspencade (sold)
1982 Aspencade - Long Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Dave Crook » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:49 am

I don't post on here very often but I'm always amazed at how many of you guys complain every year when the new wings come out. "The bike is a dinosaur and Honda could care less about all us owners". Bla, bla bla, what a load. Even without all the electronic gizmos, most of which can be easily added, I would much rather ride my 2008, 1800 with 81,000 TROUBLE FREE miles than any of the other touring/cruiser bikes currently available. I am very happy and comfortable with everything on my wing. If Honda added all the goodies every year that are "wanted or predicted" the Goldwing probably wouldn't be the rock solid, trouble free machine that most of us love. Do you really need a power windshield or most of the other gizmos and gadgets? Not me, I am very happy with the reliable and comfortable machine I have. I ride my wing pretty aggressively most of the time it hasn't let me down once. You won't hear me complaining.....

ksdalet
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Lehman trike

Post by ksdalet » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:38 pm

I like to try all the new stuff. Currently I have a 2010 GL1800 with all that was available.
I ride a trike and the newer features/options sound interesting. I wouldn't mind the auto trans with paddle shift.
I have used that in a VW bug and it does work great, especially when I want control of the trans.
If most of the items listed are offered as options then each of us could choose what we want.

thboyd29
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A (which I bought new)
2001 GL1800A (ditto)

Post by thboyd29 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:54 pm

jandjgoldwing wrote: ...Has anyone had experiences with ABS brakes? Under what conditions do they provide better stopping capabilities than standard?
I've owned my '01 ABS since new, and have 150K on it currently, so I'll try to answer your question. To my knowledge, I've only triggered my ABS a couple of times, and only once on the street. The other times were during training. In all occasions, ABS was triggered because I made one or more errors in technique and/or judgement. I can't say that ABS prevented a crash, but the fact is that a crash did not occur.

My reading of the literature is that one can out-brake ABS *if* the rider is skilled and *if* the conditions are right. I don't consider myself *that* skilled to start with (that's what the training is for, plus it's fun!), and in the real world conditions are almost never "right". I considered it cheap insurance for a boneheaded rider back in '01, and I haven't seen anything since then to make me change my mind (I'm still a bonehead, after all).

I do agree with you in that it'd burn me some to have to buy XM and a navigation system in order to get to the ABS. I suppose the answer to that would be to find a used GL from before they introduced the extra levels (01-??), or just bite the bullet and get the unwanted XM/Navi. For what it's worth, you don't have to activate the XM or buy the updated maps for the navi, so you don't really have to incur any cost beyond the initial purchase of the bike. Hope this was of some help.
I like pie.

rachester67
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by rachester67 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:16 pm

Ok this is it. You need ABS! Why you ask! Follow along I will try to make this a painless as possible. I had a 90's model Yamaha Venture Royal (pretty much the same as a GW) with a full tank of gas and I was headed to work at the ungodly hour of 2:30 AM. As you might imagine it was dark, I was on a black top road approaching an intersection where a stop is to happen. To my surprise I found the one piece of hard plastic approximately 4" square from an automobile accident under my front tire as I was braking for the intended stop. At approximately 5 MPH my front wheel came to a dead stop on this piece of plastic the front wheel slid sideways and down I went. Remember that full tank of gas? It is now leaking out of the tank onto the blacktop where I need to put my feet to get the bike back on two wheels. Don't know how slick that can be just try it some time. Luckily the attendant at the stop and rob was on the front porch smoking a cigarette and came over to help me get it back on two wheels. The last two bikes I have owned have had ABS and they have been activated at least once. If I do get "ham fisted" the ABS will take that into consideration and stop the bike as quickly as possible without sliding any wheels. Since we are on the subject as a teenager I was riding on the streets and I accidentally locked up the rear wheel of my Suzuki 90 and it started to go sideways on me. Do you know what happens when you suddenly let go of the brake? The back end will jump in the air and come right down in line with the front wheel and make you poop yourself. Don't ever want to relive that one either. Hope this helps and I truly believe everything on the road today should have ABS.[youtube]

[/YouTube] Watch what happens to the front wheel when the brakes lock!

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:38 pm

How would ABS have had any effect on the situation with the plastic?
The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's heaven and hell. RJD

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Post by brettchallenger » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:36 am

I hope "Rob" who was on the porch smoking, remembered to put his cigarette out before coming over to give a helping hand. Petroleum spirit and smoking do not make good bed fellows.
Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:07 pm

Dark Angel wrote:How would ABS have had any effect on the situation with the plastic?
The instant that the plastic under the wheel started sliding and the wheel stopped, the ABS computer would have released the brake on that wheel, allowing it to roll over the plastic and back onto the road surface, and automatically re-applying the brakes again.

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:29 am

Except it slid sideways, and once on the plastic, you can't roll off it once it is sliding since the friction with the rubber and plastic is greater than he rubber and concrete and it is moving faster than the wheel can roll at that point. ABS can't stop sideways wheel movement or loss of contact friction in a corner leaned.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:52 am

Dark Angel wrote:Except it slid sideways, and once on the plastic, you can't roll off it once it is sliding since the friction with the rubber and plastic is greater than he rubber and concrete and it is moving faster than the wheel can roll at that point. ABS can't stop sideways wheel movement or loss of contact friction in a corner leaned.
It absolutely will roll off. Here's what would happen:

Wheel is braking, all is OK.
Wheel, still braking, rolls onto piece of plastic. C/F of plastic against pavement is far less than tire against pavement, however, the amount of braking force applied is the same. As a result, wheel comes to a very sudden stop. It is sliding.
Within a fraction of a second, ABS computer realizes that wheel has locked up, and releases brake pressure.
Wheel begins to roll again. C/F of plastic against pavement is greater than wheel bearing friction, so wheel rolls off plastic.
ABS sees wheel moving again, so it reapplies braking pressure.

You might feel a very slight jerk as this happens, most likely you wouldn't even know anything happened at all, depend on how big the piece of plastic was.

You're right about ABS not being able to fix sideways motion. The main purpose of ABS is to prevent things from getting so bad that there IS sideways motion.

ABS can, and does prevent loss of friction in a corner. Modern bikes with ABS are capable of modulating brakes applied when leaned over in a corner.

the Coefficient of friction (C/F) of a tire against the pavement is a fixed amount, based on rubber compound, asphalt compound, temperature, and a bunch of other things. You can use up this friction braking, turning, accelerating, or any combination of the three.

If you are leaned over in a turn and grab brakes, you will have less braking available, because some of the C/F is already being used up to turn the bike away from the direction it naturally wants to go (straight ahead - Newton's First Law). Without ABS, you can easily make the mistake of braking too much, locking a wheel, and crashing. With ABS, the momentary sudden slowing of the wheel as the C/F is exceeded will be recognized by the ABS computer, and it will release brake pressure, returning the C/F pool to the turning effort. Within limits, it can help from losing traction from braking in a turn.

Modern bike ABS systems, as I mentioned, have accelerometers built into them that identify when the bike is turning, leaned, accelerating, braking, etc. The ABS computer can use this information, along with speed information, to decide ahead of time if you are going to exceed the C/F of either tire, and correct for it. Basically, you can be hard in a corner, grab your brakes, and the computer will modulate both front and rear (accounting for weight shift, etc.) in such a way that you will experience maximum braking while continuing to navigate the corner. Of course, you will be slowing down, so the radius of the turn will decrease as you do. I wouldn't suggest trying this on an ABS-equipped GL1800, which does not have these types of modern accelerometer-based ABS systems.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:59 am

I've never had ABS on a bike, on cars sure but...
I never tested the ABS at a stop.
Scenario:
Vehicle not moving brakes are applied. Give it enough gas to overpower the brakes and the vehicle start moving.
Question:
Will you feel the jerky motion of the ABS or is the rotor turning to slow to activate the ABS and it's a normal brake situation?
:?: