Greetings!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Xionsparkle
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Greetings!

Postby Xionsparkle » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:56 pm

Hello! I just joined and thought I would say hi. Never really thought I would own a goldwing, but I got mine as a gift and fell in love with the bike. im also probably the youngest person I know riding one at only 23, I've grown up around motorcycles and riding. I've been riding for about 4 or 5 years now. My friend bought it for me after my beloved 1982 yamaha vision and I were hit by a Buick where I was stopped at a cross walk for a pedestrian as is law in the town I was in. The driver was texting. The impact bent the frame and totalled the bike sadly. My friend found the bike for me and bought it because he felt bad. I'm beyond greatful as the bike is a lot of fun. Found out the bike had sat for sevaral years and she fired right up with a jump. It has issues, but im working to fix it all and restore it. So far I've had the damper plate fail and rebuilt the clutch with new dampers and friction disks I cleaned the oil screen and flushed the block out with oil and all. New rear brakes. New plugs and wires. Drained and flushed the cooling system. New clutch cable and throttle cable, and will be putting new tires on over the winter. Oh and new battery the day I got the bike. Only head scratchers I have going is why does the speedometer not work and what do I do about a cracked fairing? It's cracked on the black plastic part on the inside of the fairing on the right side when sitting on the bike, you know, where the radio isn't. I was thinking of cutting out the center and making like a little second glove box, but I'd rather fix it as origional as possible with out putting a new fairing on... any ideas?

Any way glade to be here and I love my old goldwing.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Re: Greetings!

Postby Solina Dave » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:18 am

Welcome to the forum! You'll probably like it a lot, as there are many, many other young people, much like myself, who also love our Goldwings. It would appear that your Wing was built 10 years before you were born. It may have had your name on it. Who knows?
On a much more serious note, install a couple of new timing belts. A broken timing belt can really spoil your day.
Welcome again....................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Xionsparkle

Postby Xionsparkle » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:25 am

Solina Dave wrote:Welcome to the forum! You'll probably like it a lot, as there are many, many other young people, much like myself, who also love our Goldwings. It would appear that your Wing was built 10 years before you were born. It may have had your name on it. Who knows?
On a much more serious note, install a couple of new timing belts. A broken timing belt can really spoil your day.
Welcome again....................................Dave

Thanks! And indeed a good idea, really don't want a timing belt snapping on me... I think the bike did. I love old Japanese bikes and the gl is a really nice bike I can do a lot with to make the looks suit my preference such as a custom seat cover, more lights, and it will deep purple at some point, with flat purple accents and silver pin stripes. I also want to put fish tail pipes on it that extend slightly past the hard bags. It's always been something I wanted to do with an old Japanese dresser.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:12 am

Hi

Welcome from England.

How come no one ever gifts me a Goldwing, even a very old one. Was my 40th wedding anniversary last week, I got her diamonds and rubies, I got two shirts which were the wrong size.

There are quite a few sections on plastic repair on this site which you might find useful in repairing your fairing. I presume you have checked the speedo cable?
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:59 am

brettchallenger wrote:Was my 40th wedding anniversary last week, I got her diamonds and rubies, I got two shirts which were the wrong size.

They say it is more blessed to give than to receive, Brett, but that is kinda one way giving, LMAO. Good luck making it to 41st anniversary.

Just kidding. Glad to congratulate anyone makes it that far. So Congrats.

We celebrated 47, June past.

Xionsparkle... welcome to the forum. You may indeed be the youngest wing rider out there, but that simply means you got smart faster, :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Xionsparkle

Postby Xionsparkle » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks all! And congrats on such a long marriage! It's a digital speedo, It looks to be a hall effect system and I think it might be bad? Looks like the connector is under the fairing so I might need to pull it to fix it... or even check for power going to the sensor. Gives me a chance to clean at least! And yes I like it more than a Harley, it lasts longer and you can make them look as nice easily. I just need to find more lights! And a replacement for the 'wing leader' light bar I pulled because of rust.

Skoshisan
Motorcycle: 2016GL1800 level 3

Postby Skoshisan » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:51 pm

Xionsparkle wrote:Hello! I just joined and thought I would say hi. Never really thought I would own a goldwing, but I got mine as a gift and fell in love with the bike. im also probably the youngest person I know riding one at only 23, I've grown up around motorcycles and riding. I've been riding for about 4 or 5 years now. My friend bought it for me after my beloved 1982 yamaha vision and I were hit by a Buick where I was stopped at a cross walk for a pedestrian as is law in the town I was in. The driver was texting. The impact bent the frame and totalled the bike sadly. My friend found the bike for me and bought it because he felt bad. I'm beyond greatful as the bike is a lot of fun. Found out the bike had sat for sevaral years and she fired right up with a jump. It has issues, but im working to fix it all and restore it. So far I've had the damper plate fail and rebuilt the clutch with new dampers and friction disks I cleaned the oil screen and flushed the block out with oil and all. New rear brakes. New plugs and wires. Drained and flushed the cooling system. New clutch cable and throttle cable, and will be putting new tires on over the winter. Oh and new battery the day I got the bike. Only head scratchers I have going is why does the speedometer not work and what do I do about a cracked fairing? It's cracked on the black plastic part on the inside of the fairing on the right side when sitting on the bike, you know, where the radio isn't. I was thinking of cutting out the center and making like a little second glove box, but I'd rather fix it as origional as possible with out putting a new fairing on... any ideas?

Any way glade to be here and I love my old goldwing.

Newby here too... I'm a little bit older though. After 23 years in the military and 11 years into my new career, I've finally made enough money to get my dream bike! I've just got over 300 miles on it and have to put it away for the winter. Alaska winters start too early!

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Postby offcenter » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:46 am

Change the timing belts!!
A broken timing belt WILL trash the engine.
Use GATES timing belts. They are the best. Don't go cheap.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

Xionsparkle

Postby Xionsparkle » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:51 pm

Ordered a belt kit and found a guy selling passing lights and a new right side hard bag! Woo! Trying to think of more lights to put on. Awesome bike, I'm getting use to the size finally. Not use to a cruiser

Return to “Goldwing Chat”