hydroplaning on a wing??

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

hydroplaning on a wing??

Postby f1xrupr » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:00 pm

Never happened before, and hopefully never again!
Powerful storms in southern VA today, and I got caught in a couple...
I knew there was a lot of water on the road, so, I stopped at the gas station I was trying to reach for non ethanol gas....it was pouring rain!!!! So, I stayed there a while...
It calmed down a lot, so, I thought I try it again. It's surprising how dry I can stay behind the farrings as long as I stay moving!
I was trying to get home after having lunch with my wife-she at work...
Then another storm! I slowed down to maybe 45mph, and to a crawl where it was obviously water coming across the road (secondary roads-normally 40 min trip).
I know my tires need replacing, but, I was being vary careful.
Twice I hydroplaned!!...once just a little (felt the bike break sideways for a second). The other time, it done it for maybe 200 feet or more-it took me across the center line about a foot (it just went straight), then I regained control! I knew not to try to resist!
There was a suv following waaaaaay behind me-they knew I was having trouble! I called my wife when I got home, and she said she had praying for me, and I'm glad of that!!!
I'm 52-been riding on and off sense I was maybe 12, and never had that happen before! I was on my gl1100 Vetter.
I was surprised that could do that and not crash!...thank God!

My exercise bike is a goldwing.

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Re: hydroplaning on a wing??

Postby squirrel » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:32 pm

Experience counts for a lot , and that's what you have . Respect for keeping it upright

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:56 pm

I always had the fear of hydoplaning on a motorcycle but in 40 plus years of riding never experienced it. I was in a very bad rain storm in my car and had a couple of motorcycles riding two up pass me at a high rate of speed. It made my butt tighten but wonder why they weren't hydoplaning since my car car had a few times. It got me wondering in motorcycles aren't as prone to hydoplaning as cars. Anyone know the answer

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:27 pm

This is a question for squirrel, Is your AVATAR sideways to match the name you use or are you parked on a very steep hill?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:38 pm

I suspect experience kept you from kissing pavement. I went down on wet pavement once years ago, so I really get cautious when it rains.
Glad you came through your storm okay.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Postby squirrel » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:38 am

Fiberthree .the photo just goes to prove I have no idea about technology. :-)

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:55 am

Hydroplaning ain't something I was ever familiar with, but in the same situation as fixrupr, I was coming into Escanaba, Michigan in a torrential downpour. I was still moving pretty much at highway speeds. There was a train overpass, and the road looked fine ahead - no cars coming on the other side (an explanation for what happened). The road had a down dip under the rail overpass, but it was totally filled with water to the level of the road I was on, so it could not be seen. As there was no traffic coming from the other direction, no waves in the water. I hit that water and the bike came totally off the highway on it's belly pan. Surf much?. I was pulling a cargo trailer and that is all that saved us. The trailer hit the water, and jerked us to a slower speed. That is when I knew I had been surfing as the bike dropped a good six inches down to the pavement. We had waves coming in over the bow and we had waves on the starboard and port sides, and I could not get my feet down because we were still moving. Got to a stop and then traffic started coming through on the other side of the road, making huge splashes right over the port side, drenching both of us. We had to sit there and take it, as visibility was non existant. Finally got some vis and slowly rode the bike out of that lake and found a breakfast joint (Hardees or some such). We sat and ate, and dripped as the bike drained water from every place water could get, for about four hours, till we got at least a bit dry. In spite of rain gear, we had to change all our clothing. We also had to buy new rain gear at the closest Honda shop as it was so wet it needed two days in the sun to become normal again. If given a choice in that kind of storms, I now pull over somewhere to sit it out. That was too close a call for an old heart.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:23 pm

squirrel wrote:Fiberthree .the photo just goes to prove I have no idea about technology. :-)

And here I thought that's how you parked your Wing to save space.
:roll:

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”