New seat

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Al Lenz
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

New seat

Postby Al Lenz » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:43 pm

I'm thinking of upgrading the seat on my '94 GL1500A this winter. My problem is a bit unique so advice is appreciated. I currently have the original seat with an aftermarket backrest which works fine for me, but is a problem when my wife wants to ride along. The problem is that she is paralyzed on the left side. She uses a small footstool to get onto the front seat and then works her way to the back seat which can't be done with the backrest on. I can't just take it off and then replace it after she gets settled in because the brace for the back rest interferes with the brace on her left leg keeping her left foot from getting onto the foot pad. I can't ride for more than a few minutes without the backrest, even though I only seem to be using the lower part of it, so I'm looking for a seat that will support my lower back and still allow my wife to get to her back seat. I wish there was a seat store kind of like a shoe store where we could shop and try seats until we found what we want, but I think we will have to settle for doing a lot of research and then taking our chances.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: New seat

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:53 pm

Al Lenz wrote:I'm thinking of upgrading the seat on my '94 GL1500A this winter. My problem is a bit unique so advice is appreciated. I currently have the original seat with an aftermarket backrest which works fine for me, but is a problem when my wife wants to ride along. The problem is that she is paralyzed on the left side. She uses a small footstool to get onto the front seat and then works her way to the back seat which can't be done with the backrest on. I can't just take it off and then replace it after she gets settled in because the brace for the back rest interferes with the brace on her left leg keeping her left foot from getting onto the foot pad. I can't ride for more than a few minutes without the backrest, even though I only seem to be using the lower part of it, so I'm looking for a seat that will support my lower back and still allow my wife to get to her back seat. I wish there was a seat store kind of like a shoe store where we could shop and try seats until we found what we want, but I think we will have to settle for doing a lot of research and then taking our chances.

My wife also has trouble getting on the seat with my backrest in place. Fortunately, my seat is a Corbin, and the backrest can be lifted right out of the seat, she can slide into place, and the backrest slots right back into place. Easy!

Al Lenz
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Al Lenz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:30 am

That might work, I'll look into that, Thank you

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:01 am

Ultimate seats work the same way as Corbin. The backrest pulls up and out. And the seat store is available at Wing Ding Rallies. There is usually one place with sixteen different seats set up on mounts that you can try.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Goldwing Chat”