GL1200 Standard

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

GL1200 Standard

Postby Solina Dave » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:34 pm

I've got a high mileage '78 GL1000 with a Vetter Windjammer SS fairing, and Krauser side cases with top-case. I've had it since it was new, and I've been considering moving up a little bit. One of the reasons I've always stuck with the '78 is because it's basically a pretty straightforward bike. I do not have any use for all the bells and whistles that come with the full dress bikes. Computers, mega-stereos, intercoms, self-levellers, air compressers, etc. etc. I'd like a comparatively simple bike, with a real cushy ride.
I live alone, and I ride alone, and the days of long-distance touring are pretty well numbered. I'd be satisfied with a bike that has no fairing, or bags and top-case. Probably just a back carrier, and I could use the rear seat for a bit of soft gear when taking a moderate tour for a week or so. I'd also need a windshield. I had a Slipstreamer on my '78 long ago, before upgrading to the Vetter fairing. It was great! Well, that's more than enough of that to bore you, but I wanted to set the scene.
Another bike would obviously need to be a Goldwing. That goes without saying. I've had an eye on a 1984 GL1200 Standard. Key word "Standard". Its $3500 Cdn., has a clear windshield similar to a Slipstreamer, and a rear chrome carrier. It's a really nice wine colour, its got 34,000 original kms./21,127 miles, and it looks good. The problem is that it's 250 miles away, and not easily viewable, although I do have some photos, and the basic description says that it's a one owner, regularly maintained, and always stored in a heated garage. Before I commit to travelling to see it in person, I'd appreciate any ideas, :idea: comments, suggestions, or what have you. Does anybody have one, and how do you like it? Are there any problems with one of them that I'd have to consider?

You know what I mean?.......Thanks...Dave :D

"Assume Nothing"

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Re: GL1200 Standard

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:39 pm

If you talked to the owner, and everything still sounds good to you, I'd go have a look-see at it if the price is okay with you.
I don't know if $3500 Canadian is reasonable or not. I just don't know, but a one owner with low miles sounds good. ;)
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:47 pm

Oh, I've also had 2 1984 Goldwings in my past. One was an Interstate and the other an Aspencade. I don't recall ever having a problem with either one. Just the routine maintenance.
Both were very dependable, just like a...Goldwing! :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:41 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:If you talked to the owner, and everything still sounds good to you, I'd go have a look-see at it if the price is okay with you.
I don't know if $3500 Canadian is reasonable or not. I just don't know, but a one owner with low miles sounds good.

Oh, I've also had 2 1984 Goldwings in my past. One was an Interstate and the other an Aspencade. I don't recall ever having a problem with either one. Just the routine maintenance.
Both were very dependable, just like a...Goldwing! :lol: ;)

Thanks for that ZX11. I'm feeling fairly confident with him after a very brief email exchange, so I might just make the trip. Decisions, decisions! A couple of things crept into my mind. (was wondering if that would ever happen!) I've been used to a fairing with lowers for nearly 40 years. I wonder how I'd adapt to just a windshield? Also that odometer only goes to 99,999 kms. before it starts around again. So what is the actual mileage after 32 years? Like I said, I feel fairly confident with him.
And one other thing, although you're saying you haven't had any problems, my motorcycle mechanic friend says that a lot of '84 GL1200s, have stator problems. And also, I've read somewhere that a certain number of '84 GL1200s did in fact have an unusual number of stator problems. But who knows?

Here's another small detail that has happened since my 1st posting on this subject. I went for a ride on my '78 yesterday, and fried my stator. Now I ask you, "WHO HAS MORE FUN!!!" I'd really miss this bike. A big part of my life. 800 to 1000 to repair. How much would you spend on your sick old dog? That's the question isn't it?

Dave........................This is it.

The speedometer looks really clean, for what that's worth!
"Assume Nothing"

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:10 pm

Wow! That looks really good. I think I'd have to go have a look at that. It could be all original. Its not too unusual for a Goldwing owner to be pretty anal about his ride.
As far as not having any lowers on a fairing, I don't know. I don't think I'd have a problem but my last bike was a Shadow with a windshield. And I suspect your climate is a little cooler than down here in Arkansas.
With that low mileage, it makes me wonder how long it just sat? I'd check gas tank for rust and pop it up on the centerstand, see how much ground clearance the rear tire has.
As far as the stators go, I remember some people had problems and I remember reading about the problem in the cycle magazines back then. I may have just been lucky. I didn't worry about it and it never stopped me from riding anywhere I wanted to go.
Sorry to hear your stator bought the farm.
I think the only way you're going to know for sure if this bike is a cherry, is to go have a look at it. If its an old beater dolled up to look cherry, you'll tell only by closely inspecting it.
Make sure he will let you test ride it before you buy. I made that mistake once. Just once. Never again.

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:01 pm

Re: the stator concerns... there is a lot of info here as far as checking, testing and maintenance. Read up on it before you go, if for no other reason than to know about a visual check when you see it in person. Heck, you might just go ahead and ask him if he's had any trouble or had it repaired. If it's been replaced already, then you're ahead of the game compared to the original, and there is stuff you can do to protect it moving forward.

Re: the windshield... that 'shield looks very similar to a National Cycle Plexifairing 3, although it isn't. But what I'm getting at is that if it works at all like a PF3, you will be very happy with it. Those lower extensions really do work. As I stated in my Product Review, I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable I was at 38F in just blue jeans.

Ron in AZ
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:18 pm

landisr wrote:Re: the stator concerns... there is a lot of info here as far as checking, testing and maintenance. Read up on it before you go, if for no other reason than to know about a visual check when you see it in person. Heck, you might just go ahead and ask him if he's had any trouble or had it repaired. If it's been replaced already, then you're ahead of the game compared to the original, and there is stuff you can do to protect it moving forward.

Re: the windshield... that 'shield looks very similar to a National Cycle Plexifairing 3, although it isn't. But what I'm getting at is that if it works at all like a PF3, you will be very happy with it. Those lower extensions really do work. As I stated in my Product Review, I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable I was at 38F in just blue jeans.

Ron in AZ

Thanks for all that Ron. I'm in a bit of a quandary here. Almost simultaneous to this whole exercise, and my original post, doesn't the stator fail on my '78GL. So, not being filthy rich, I think I'm going to have to back-off a bit. I would have a lot of trouble selling it for much in its present condition, and there's no way I could buy a second bike without first at least having a buyer for my '78. Besides, my storage shed where I park my bike just wouldn't have room for two bikes. I think I'll just wait and fix the stator problem in the spring and then go from there. I've had the '78 since it was new, and I've grown very attached, so I know I'll probably just keep it once it's on the road again.
I was wondering how the extensions on the windshield would perform in the colder weather. Just for your information here's a photo from a different angle.

Thanks again Ron. Appreciate that.........................Dave

PS........In your other post you mentioned timing belts and carbs. The belts and tension rollers were done 25,000 kms. ago. And the carbs, I'll have to give some consideration. It's been 130,000 kms. for them. But the bike was running very well, so I'll see.
"Assume Nothing"

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:43 am

Good luck getting your baby back on the road.

Ron

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”