the loss of a family pet

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

the loss of a family pet

Postby roadwanderer2 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:22 pm

it is with a heavy heart that i let ya'll know that my cat, OUR cat Dusty, after having him for over 14 years was attacked by 2 pit bull dogs a few hours ago and killed. i personally helped the dog catcher find and catch one of the 2 dogs that attacked and killed him. the dog catcher seems to know the owner of the 2 dogs and has notified him that he will be issued a summons for both dogs being on the loose and killing someones pet. i called the police and gave them a statement and a report was made and i am going to peruse this further. right now i have to go thru the grieving process. im glad that my wife is here to help comfort me thru this.

our other cat Thomas, whom we've had for almost 8 years is hiding somewhere and hasn't come back to our house as of yet. im sure he is scared to death since both cats were in our back yard at the time of the attack. the only thing i can do is keep calling his name out the back door and hope he returns soon. when time permits we are going to bury Dusty in our back yard because this was his home and im sure he would have wanted that.

stuart.
Attachments

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Re: the loss of a family pet

Postby Solina Dave » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:08 am

That's really sad news to here Stuart. It hurts when you lose a big part of your family. I lost my dog Chester, after 15 years, a while back. I know you and your wife must have loved that cat a whole lot, and please pass my thoughts on to her. The only thing that will help now is time. Your other cat will come back shortly. I'm sure of that.
I don't know what else I can say Stuart. Just hang in there my friend.

Dave
"Assume Nothing"

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:43 am

Thank you Dave for your kind words. they are very much appreciated. Dusty was a large part of my life these last 14 years. we've been thru a lot together and he WILL be sorely missed. our other cat, Thomas did show up last night and when i picked him up he was shaking and still looking around to see if "the coast was clear". in fact, when i woke up this morning he was sitting on our front porch waiting to be fed as usual. right now hes laying next to my keyboard on my desk sleeping.

below is a pic of Thomas laying on my desk. he is a 7 year old black long hair Himalayan. he has one ear thats kinda deformed as you might be able to see in the photo. we sometimes call him "Mr. floppy ear" lol.

stuart.
Attachments

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:05 am

That's too bad. The loss of a pet is difficult and no different than the loss of any other family member. Condolences Stuart. Do I see a kitten in your future?
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:17 am

Hello Tom. no, no more pets. Thomas is the only one we have now and i can't go thru raising another animal all over again. Thomas was the runt of a litter of 5 that a cat had when we moved into this house. i used to feed them and they would always push him away from the food so i started bringing him inside to eat. we had to have the rest of the cats along with the mother whom were all ferrel caught, but since Thomas was so gentle we, my wife and I decided to keep him as a playmate for Dusty. it was rough going for a while to get Dusty to accept Thomas as this was Dusty's "domain" and wanted nothing to do with Thomas, but after continuing to get them together in the same room Dusty finally accepted Thomas and they became very good friends.

below is a photo of Dusty and Thomas together on my desk and one of them both in my bathroom sink at the same time lol. poor Dusty had to deal with Thomas in that tiny sink with a look that said "please help me" lol. the pic in the background is my wife sitting on my old Honda silverwing as my monitor background and one of the pics are of Dusty and Thomas on our front porch laying on the wicker love seat. as you can see Dusty was much larger than Thomas. Dusty was sort of a "protector" for Thomas.

stuart.
Attachments

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:22 pm

Stuart, as a hard-core animal person, my heart goes out to you. I've lost too many of my furred, feathered, and scaled friends recently, and it grieves me deeply.

I suppose I'm strange, in that I've had many, many pets over the decades, but I've never claimed to "own" an animal - all have been rescues, and in my view, I've simply chosen to share my home and life with them. They're not chattels, they're not bicycles or toasters, they're living creatures. In a way, that makes their loss all the harder - they can't simply be replaced, like an inanimate thing.

I'm coming up on the first anniversary of the loss of our beloved dog Echo. After 14 years of being a true member of our family, she disappeared into impenetrable west coast rain forest while at a dog-sitter's last December, and was never seen again, despite the army of searchers I mobilized, and searching for weeks. I think of her every single day, and it hurts...every single day.

I know you say "no more pets", but don't discount the idea quite yet - every time I visit a rescue center, I realize how many loving, deserving animals there are out there, whose original "owners" broke their promises. That's why we have 14 rescue animals living with us (1 dog, a couple of snakes, and a whole flock of various kinds of parrots). Each and every one of them seems to know we've rescued them, and they all love us for it.

One day, you may find the void in your life needs filling.

God bless you Stuart, and know that Dusty's life was immeasurably enriched by him sharing it with you. Not all cats are so lucky!

Bobsiler
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 A

Postby Bobsiler » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:53 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss. We too are going through the same thing. We had to make the decision to end the suffering of our 15-1/2 year old dog on Friday. Our whole family is heartbroken as he helped raise my son who is 19. A piece of your heart goes with them.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:07 pm

Mh434, thats a great thing you have done for your animals. taking them from having no secure future and loving homes to bring them into your and make them your own. i've lived with cats and dogs all my life growing up from the time i was only 3 years old so i share the same feelings as you and many other pet families. they're not just "pets" they're FAMILY. Dusty and me have been thru so much together and we both saved each others lives a few times. he was a very loyal "companion" to me. he flew down to Florida in an airplane with me on a seat that i had to buy him a ticket for, lived on a houseboat with me, saved my life by putting himself in harms way between me and an alligator that he chased off the boat dock, saved the both of us when our houseboat started sinking by waking me up so we could jump off the boat just before the first floor was 6 feet under water, strapped him into his carrier onto the back seat of my motorcycle to rush him to a vet down in the Florida keys because he got bit by a possum, drove in a motorhome with me and my wife from key largo Florida to the coast of new jersey and back down to Tennessee with us, lived in our motorhome for 8 months before we moved into the home where we are now, and he made this place HIS home too for the last 7 years. at the age of 14 years old i was hoping he would live out the rest of his days knowing he had a safe place to call home. he didn't deserve to die the way he did being scared to death running for his life with no chance of survival. i feel like i failed him by not being able to protect him and it cost him his life. our other cat Thomas is still looking for his buddy Dusty not realizing he is gone. he's been looking all thru the house trying to find him and doesn't understand why Dusty isn't here. so not only have i lost MY companion, but Thomas has lost his playmate and companion as well.

before i moved away from key largo, i had to do 30 hours of "community service", and since there was an animal shelter/rescue center only a few miles away, i did all of it there. i cleaned cages, fed all the cats and dogs, played with them, walked the dogs outside the building so they could get their exercise and it broke my heart every day to see all these sweet dogs and cats that other people abandoned in cages with their paws reaching out as if to say "please take me home". if i could have i would have taken them all home with me. so you dont have to tell me about not wanting to give love to another dog or cat. all im saying is at this stage of my life i cant deal with trying to raise another kitten or puppy, besides Thomas who we've had since we moved in and was only 6 months old and now is over 7 years old is extremely territorial and even with Dusty here, Thomas wouldn't tolerate any other dog or cat coming onto the property. i would be afraid he would kill it.

this incident brings back the same memory of what happened to one of my moms cats about 20 years ago. 3 dogs cornered her and i was only 2 seconds away from them and i couldn't stop those dogs from killing her cat and when i got to her she died in my arms and i was horrified and in shock. the worst part was i had to call my mom on the phone and tell her what happened to her favorite cat.

below is a pic of Dusty, and one of Dusty and Thomas together. Dusty is the large orange tabby, and Thomas is a longhair black Himalayan.

bobliler, i feel your pain, i know and understand what you and your family are going thru. you have my condolences on your family's loss. my mom had to put our 19 year old beagle down from old age as well so he wouldn't suffer. YOU DID THE RIGHT THING.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:39 pm

Nero was my Scottish Deerhound, without question the finest and most intelligent animal I have ever known. He was struck down in his prime at 7 years by bone cancer. He put on a brave fight, but in the end it took him, and I had time to get ready for it.

Nero
Nero

Melly was my rescue Greyhound, and she was Nero's constant companion. I lost her six years ago at age 14 to a stroke. She was old, deaf and arthritic, and really ready to go, but it was still a shock, and when it finally really hit me a few days later, I just collapsed and wept like I have never done for any person.

Melly
Melly

I'm so sorry to hear about Dusty, roadwanderer. I know what you're feeling.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Postby Solina Dave » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:01 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Nero was my Scottish Deerhound. He was struck down in his prime at 7 years by bone cancer. He put on a brave fight, but in the end it took him, and I had time to get ready for it.
Melly was my rescue Greyhound. I lost her six years ago. She was old, deaf and arthritic, and really ready to go, but it was still a shock, and when it finally really hit me a few days later, I just collapsed and wept like I have never done for any person.

All they ever want is to be with you, for an occasional a pat on the head. They never demand anything.
"Assume Nothing"

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:42 am

those were 2 great dogs you had there wingadmin. i understand what you must have been thru to loose both of them, but they had a good long life as well and died from almost natural causes and you had time to prepare yourself for it. you can imagine my horror and shock to see my cat being shaken and mauled in the jaws of 2 pit bulls. i never got the chance to "prepare" for his dying. i've lost pets before, but this is different, Dusty's life was cut short, he was murdered. even the police officer that came here to take my statement said he never stood a chance against the 2 80 pound dogs. i can only think what he was thinking while he was running for his life knowing he might not make it. i feel like i let him down by not being able to protect him as he did for me on a few occasions. today i am starting to look for a lawyer to seek compensation for Dusty's death. i owe him that much and im also going to bury him in our back yard because this was HIS home too. im also going to go for counseling because im having a lot of trouble over this. i guess i now have what you would call PTSD every time i close my eyes at night i can see these 2 dogs tearing into my cat and tossing him in the air over and over and its bothering me quite a bit. i cant sleep and im having other problems along with it.

thank you for your condolences.

stuart.

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Postby suvcw04 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:18 am

Pit bulls. Spay and neuter ALL of them and euthanize the owners. Problem solved.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:21 am

All of us animal lovers are behind you, Stuart. All the best, my friend.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:18 pm

suvcw04 wrote:Pit bulls. Spay and neuter ALL of them and euthanize the owners. Problem solved.

lol, i like that idea.

stuart.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:28 pm

Mh434 wrote:All of us animal lovers are behind you, Stuart. All the best, my friend.

thanks Mh, i really appreciate that. today i found out from when i got a copy of the police report where the owner of the 2 dogs live and i drove up to her home and took some photos of her property. no fences, dog runs or pens, just open yard in front and back. i also consulted an attorney and he suggests that i contact the owners homeowners insurance company and handle it thru them to try to keep this out of court.

i have wrote her a letter letting her know that i WILL be at her court hearing for the citation of her dogs roaming at large,( statute # 1932) of my city's municipal code and she can either give me her information in front of the judge, or i will go directly to the court clerks office and institute a law suite against her.

stuart.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:11 pm

Unfortunately, no matter what the breed of dog, it's almost invariably the owner that's the main problem. Pits are extremely prey-driven, and anything that runs from them is prey. With their power, little stands a chance against them - other dogs, cats, children, etc. They require responsible, knowledgeable, experienced handlers, and a secure yard or pen, to be safely kept. Clearly, the people with these dogs are negligent, and SHOULD be sued, IMHO. It's usually the ONLY way these people will learn.

To that end, Stu, try to find out from the animal control officers what the dogs' history is. I doubt this is the first occurrence, or at least their first complaint of aggression. That knowledge would go a long way toward a real settlement, as the court will put a great deal of weight on their history. After retiring as an LEO after almost 30 years, and being a professional animal control officer since then, I can tell you these dogs will almost certainly have a history.

Good luck, Stu, and keep us posted, my friend.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:25 pm

Mh434 wrote:Unfortunately, no matter what the breed of dog, it's almost invariably the owner that's the main problem. Pits are extremely prey-driven, and anything that runs from them is prey. With their power, little stands a chance against them - other dogs, cats, children, etc. They require responsible, knowledgeable, experienced handlers, and a secure yard or pen, to be safely kept. Clearly, the people with these dogs are negligent, and SHOULD be sued, IMHO. It's usually the ONLY way these people will learn.

To that end, Stu, try to find out from the animal control officers what the dogs' history is. I doubt this is the first occurrence, or at least their first complaint of aggression. That knowledge would go a long way toward a real settlement, as the court will put a great deal of weight on their history. After retiring as an LEO after almost 30 years, and being a professional animal control officer since then, I can tell you these dogs will almost certainly have a history.

Good luck, Stu, and keep us posted, my friend.

ya know, it seems pretty strange that our city's dog catcher knew where these 2 dogs live and that he knows the dog's owner, but he told me today that there has been no other history on these 2 dogs which i find pretty hard to believe since he knows the dogs and their owner, but time will tell as i mentioned before i WILL be at her court appearance to get her insurance information if she doesn't respond to the letter i drafted up today. i will ask the judge to ORDER her to give me the information i want or i will simply institute a law suite against her, her insurance company and i'll have MY day in court, AND make sure both of those dangerous vicious dogs are destroyed. she better hope and pray that she has a good homeowners insurance policy because this is going to cost her a LOT of $$$$$.

stuart.

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:19 pm

I have had a few cats over the years, We live on an ache rage and one fall a young tom cat showed up. I thought he would stay the winter and then be on his way, He did exactly that went on a day trip in the spring, got beat up by another cat. He came home and laid around until he was healed up, Then another day trip with the same result. He came back and never left. We took him in had him neutered. He was a great companion for about five years. The I came home from work one morning around 5 am. He was on the deck. I scratched him on the head and he swated me on the ankle as was our little ritual. When I woke up he was gone without a trace. Sad day. The a couple of winters ago this kitten fell out from under the hood of a truck in front of our lane. I made it to the house and moved in to an empty cat house in the yard. Last fall it was hit on the highway. Another sad day. They move into you life and it is tough to keep them from doing so.

Cyanide meat balls over the fence

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:36 am

hello Pam. your cats are free to roam around and come and go as they please. around here, we don't have that luxury. where i/we live is a close nit community where everybody knows everybody and our homes are only about 100 feet apart with no property boundary fences and our neighbors think nothing of walking to our front or rear door just to say "hey" or start up a conversation. the only reason i/we put up our 6 foot high stockade fencing up the side and across our back yard is to keep the children from 2 schools that are only 1 and 2 blocks away from coming thru it using our yard as a "short cut" to the street behind our house and for a little privacy, but one side isn't finished yet. the open side is adjacent to one of my neighbors property. which i really didn't want to put up because she is an elderly woman, (83 years old), with a mentally challenged 65 year old daughter, and her 52 year old son who is also mentally challenged, and i don't want to "alienate" them from us as we are very good friends of her and her family and i/we talk almost every day since she sits on her back porch and we,(my wife and I), walk back and forth to converse with her or help them when needed. when she, her daughter, or her son calls me for help all i have to do is walk out of my back door and right to her back door.

putting Cyanide meat balls over the fence here is not a good idea due to all the wild animals that roam our neighborhood
IE possums, raccoons, rabbits, sometimes deer and occasionally one of our neighbors pets. i would hate to be the one to be the cause of something happen to one of them plus our other cat Thomas is predominately an outdoor cat and he is the only other pet we have now.

stuart.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:17 pm

well, i had a minor set back with this. seems that after doing more research on the dogs owner, i found out that she is only RENTING this house and is NOT the owner. i did send her a certified/signature requested letter stating my intentions, but im afraid it won't help. on the UP side, after doing about 3 more hours of research i found the home/property owner and it turns out the owner is also a real estate agent who is renting the house and property to the person that owns both dogs. i got all this information from our county's property tax record's office ;).

i went to see him to discuss what had happened and to let him know that his renter is to be in court next month to answer a "dog at large" summons. of course he was very apologetic and sorry about my little buddy being killed by his tenant's dogs. i told him that i was willing to negotiate a settlement out of court with his insurance company since he still legally owns the property and is carrying the liability insurance on the property. i showed him the police report and the letter i drafted up yesterday and mailed to the property renter stating my intentions so he knows and understands this is a serious matter. i also told him it would be in his best interest to cooperate with me so we can do this civilly and not have to take it any farther into the justice system, but i warned him that if he doesn't cooperate with me i will have no problems suing him in court as he is the legal owner of the property and i think he "understands" that i meant every word of what i said to him and he also knows this is serious problem.

his last comment to me was "i have a thing about dogs especially pit bulls, and had i known she had even 1 pit bull, i would never have rented the house to her and i will be calling her today and letting her know she will be evicted from the home" so he knows he's in financial trouble over this.

so, this is where i stand at this point in time. im waiting to hear back from his insurance company within the next couple of days and hopefully we will be able to come to some kind of settlement, but if not, i'll get justice for Dusty in court.

stuart.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:52 pm

If they're just renters, the dogs probably have a history in the jurisdiction where they previously lived. I run into this from time to time - I have local resources that allow me to search people's history, too, and that often lets me dig into their dogs' REAL past history. If you're talking to the animal control folks again, ask them where the dogs lived previously...animal control organizations tend to share information like that, for obvious reasons.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:29 pm

Mh, thats a good idea. thats something i never thought about and im sure i can find out. my wife seems to think im "on a mission" because this is all i could think about doing since this happened. and shes right, im "on a mission" to seek justice for my little buddy who's life was cut short by someones negligence, and trust me, they are gonna pay for it.

stuart.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:10 pm

So sorry for your loss. So quickly pets become part of the family and we also know how much it hurts to lose them.
My family's condolences to your family.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:03 pm

thank you very much oldzx, thats greatly appreciated.

Mr.& Mrs. roadwanderer.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:37 pm

well, i just got back from court to see the lady answering the complaint i filed against her and her pit bull for killing my little buddy Dusty. the judge was not happy with her and gave her the maximum fine allowed by our towns code violations. she was fined $150.00 and given a very stern lecture about her dog roaming loose saying she was very fortunate that her dog didn't attack and kill a small child and gave her a stern warning if her dog gets loose again and something happens, there will be severe repercussions arising from it. he also said to me "sorry for your loss", but for any "compensation" that i am looking for, i have to seek it thru a civil court action which i am going to do.

stuart.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”