Parking indicator

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

Parking indicator

Postby hap2 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:51 pm

On our condo asphalt parking lot, we have individual stalls. I park the bike parallel right against the concrete parking slab with the bike tires almost touching it. I then drive my car perpendicular (90 degrees) to it & I try to get as close as I can to it without touching it (the bike). My question to you is what can I secure (temporarily) as a marker (I was thinking a red arrow or something) to line it up with another marker inside the bottom door part of my car to indicate that’s exactly where I need to park. Do u know what I mean? Any suggestions? Thanks

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Re: Parking indicator

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:53 pm

A suggestion. Might work, might not.
Park your bike the way you want it. Pull the car up close. Look to see where your bumper would make contact with the bike first.
Now will the bumper be above some part of the motorcycle? A metal part? If so, you might be able to set one of those extendable magnets on the metal part of the bike.
Park the bike, set up your magnet, then pull the car up slowly til the magnet handle moves.
Plus, when collapsed the magnet fits in your pocket like an ink pen. ;)
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

hap2

Postby hap2 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:16 pm

An excellent idea. Thank you.

I will think about that one & letcha know.

PS: I love this forum. Most everybody is so helpful.

Thanks again.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:45 am

Glad you liked it. I hope it works.

I also thought if there is a cover, you could hang a tennis ball on a string so when it touches your windshield you know to stop.

I've seen people with large vehicles and small garages do that. ;)
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

hap2

Postby hap2 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:53 am

Ya...the only thing is...the bike has a cover on it, so there's no real place to attach anything.

& re the magnet thing, after thinking about it, I guess I'm not too clear on visualizing how that would work.
Knowing me, I'd probly have to see a short video or pictures to understand what that is, how to rig it, & how it would work.

Thanx

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:32 am

OldZX11Rider wrote:Glad you liked it. I hope it works.

I also thought if there is a cover, you could hang a tennis ball on a string so when it touches your windshield you know to stop.

I've seen people with large vehicles and small garages do that. ;)

I think he meant if there is a cover over the parking space.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:47 am

I used to have the same problem, but my parking space was covered, so I got an orange ping pong ball, put a piece of cord through it, then parked the car and bike as I wanted and attached the cord to the cover over the parking space so that the ping pong ball touched the car windscreen. Now I park the bike and just drive the car into the parking space and when the ball touches the windscreen I stop and know the distance is correct. cost about 50cents. I also threaded an old nut onto the cord (down to the ball) to put a bit of weight on the ping pong ball, otherwise it moved around too much when there was a little bit of wind. Cheaper and far less hassle than magnets and popup signs..

Gary

hap2

Postby hap2 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:54 am

I wish there was a cover over the parking space. Sorry to confuse, but no, the cover is over the bike. I spose id work if I found a way & place on the bike cover to clamp something (even 1/2 inconspicuous) onto it & then extend it toward the car. I was thinking just securing down some kinda marker on the asphalt (without drilling into or damaging the asphalt) in my parking place to line up with a mark in the inside of the driver's door of the car, that way it's not that noticeable, but whatever works.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”