Honda Neowing tilting reverse trike

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Honda Neowing tilting reverse trike

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:38 pm

Any day now Honda will be unveiling the Honda Neowing at the Tokyo Motor Show, which opens this Friday.

Totally unlike Honda, they revealed the new bike before the show - perhaps to stem a leak about the bike? It was a poorly-kept secret, as patent-derived images of the bike have been floating around for quite some time.

What we know so far:

• It is a tilting reverse trike, with sprung suspension that will hold the bike upright at a stop
  • It has a four-cylinder horizontally opposed engine, just like the GL1000, GL1100 and GL1200 Goldwings
  • It is a hybrid, with at least two electric motors also powering the bike, but not in the hubs. How the electric motors are connected to the drivetrain is not yet known
  • It uses shaft drive to transmit power to the rear wheel

It certainly doesn't appear to have much in the way of storage, but the fact that they are calling it a "wing" - does this indicate they are slotting it in amongst the Goldwing?

What do you think? Is this a bike you'd consider riding? How about if you were facing giving up riding, but could ride a trike?

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Re: Honda Neowing tilting reverse trike

Postby detdrbuzzard » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:07 am

this must be the sporting version, I need a trunk and bags on my wing even if it has three wheels
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:33 am

I just don't see the point.

I would rather have one of these
Attachments
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:58 am

Looks like a four cylinder. So, maybe a 1200?
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:35 pm

detdrbuzzard wrote:this must be the sporting version, I need a trunk and bags on my wing even if it has three wheels

That's why I thought it was interesting they used the "Wing" name in it. But yes, bags and a trunk definite needed!

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Postby offcenter » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:50 pm

Like many of the new bikes, it's ugly as sin.
Lots of angled, zig zag parts that seem to have no purpose whatsoever.
And that stupid exhaust that takes up the entire side of the bike
where you would like to put saddlebags.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

Eckhard
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE

Postby Eckhard » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:40 pm

I agree on the look. It looks like a lot of the newer bikes. I call it the "pissed off insect" look. They all look like the mouth parts of a predatory insect. Unsettling to look at.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:48 pm

Well that's one way of getting away from a front fork! :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Dark Angel
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800

Postby Dark Angel » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:17 pm

That is very ugly and uncomfortable looking. It might be a blast to drive. Notice I didn't day ride! Lol
The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's heaven and hell. RJD

Big Bee
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
1988 Honda Elite 250

Postby Big Bee » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:54 pm

In the next few years, I'll be triking my Wing out. One of main reasons my wife and I went to Wing Ding 38 is to try out various trikes. The wide track reverse trikes isn't for us. We left with deciding on the conventional trikes. Except for the narrow track tilting reverse trike. One vendor at WD 38 had the narrow track reverse trike, but we weren't able to ride one. Being able to lean into a corner like a 2 wheeler, and being on a trike, is intriguing. This is something I want to ride (not this Neowing) before making the final trike decision.

With that being said, the design of the Neowing is plain butt ugly. At least it does look like anything else. We ought to start getting used to it though. That is the way cars have been going for some time, ugly impractical designs that look the same.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:12 am

I have access to one of the Piaggio MP3 reverse trike scooters (yeah I know...it's a scooter) and, although it's nowhere near a 'Wing, it's an absolute blast to ride!
You very quickly get used to the tilting front end and it feels really stable through the twisty bits. I'd love to give the 'Neowing' a test.
Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:54 am

That thing sure does look like a pissed off mosquito or praying mantis or a combination thereof. New bikes like that (and a fixed income) will keep me enjoying older bikes for a long time. :lol:
Or for as much time as I've got left. :roll:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:38 am

The main benefit of the reverse trike is the stability when it is most required.

Obviously, four wheels is most stable, because you have stability in braking, acceleration, as well as turning - and turning while braking or accelerating.

Conventional trikes are laterally (from side to side) stable when you are accelerating, when weight shifts backward towards the laterally-separated rear wheels. However, how often are you accelerating so hard in a turn that you need that lateral stability? Not often. When you most need lateral stability typically is when braking. In an emergency situation, you need to brake hard and/or swerve. Weight shifts forward, and away from the side to which you are swerving. This forces your weight shift toward the most unstable position on a trike - where you have only one front wheel. That's why a swerving braking maneuver is the most dangerous thing you can do on a trike - and also happens to be the most likely thing you would do in an emergency, or when you find yourself too fast into a corner.

Reverse trikes on the other hand are at their MOST stable during braking swerves. The weight shift forward is distributed towards the laterally separated front wheels, and swerving simply distributes more weight onto one or the other front wheels.

Reverse trikes are less stable during accelerating turns, but all factory reverse trikes to date have lateral accelerometers in them that detect this, and automatically reduce throttle should you get close to the limit where the trike might become dangerously unstable. A Can-Am Spyder reverse trike will automatically close the throttle should you try to break the rear wheel loose in a hard turn, to prevent you from potentially flipping the trike.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:06 pm

Looks like a BUG and it looks UGLY.. .. I'm nick-naming it BUGGLY.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

pwjohnson041
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby pwjohnson041 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:47 am

I see a leaning trike as having the best of both worlds. I really like the idea of a leaning trike (don't really like the standard trike feel) and a company called Tilting Motor Works seems to meet that need. Two wheels in the front which will help my vertically challenged legs when I get older and with the fairing in place, you don't even see the trike wheels. Otherwise, there is no change to the bike's ride or the bike's feel.

Also, like the non-Goldwing bike in the story, it leans in the curve just like a two wheel bike. I hope I'm not causing a faux pas, but their website is https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/.

I figure another two years and I'll do this to mine. ~$10K for the standard installation and ~$13K for one with hydraulics that holds the bike up when you stop.

GLRT
Motorcycle: Many diverse types and brands - mostly reverse trikes right now

Postby GLRT » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:06 pm

I have been involved in R&D and developments regarding reverse trikes for just over 8 years now. Actually the first and only RT conversion company in the US with a universal fit design.
The tilting versions appear to offer advantages however in most cases the advantage is near zero. TMW is a good example of a trike that is more novelty than actual substance. The general problem with the tilting or leaning trikes is that there is no gain in traction during cornering or braking. In general it is simply a motorcycle with a $10,000 extra wheel.
Now the Honda unit is different as it offers stability at low speed and on rough unpaved terrain yet resumes the MC feel once on the way. Personally I don't mind the look and one must understand prototypes are proof of concept and rarely a finished product. My own prototypes are much the same. And really how good looking is the 1940's TMW styling?
In the grand scheme rear wheel trikes will gradually become extinct and the front wheel trikes of some sort will take the lead. it is logical and complies with standard vehicle configurations and modern steering geometry.
As is the leaning concepts are still fall primarily in the novelty attention category but fall short in function.

Dudleygray
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Postby Dudleygray » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:04 pm

This is a trike I might consider. I've said before that if I can't lean, and am unable to manage 2 wheels, I'll probably be done. But maybe not, with this alternative. When there's one available here in the US, I'll be in line for a demo ride. Maybe the hybrid idea is worth trying. Unique & interesting to say the least.
Thanks for sharing that with us. I've recommended your site to a new (first motorcycle ever) GoldWing rider at the office.
Keep up the great work. Lots yet to be explored. Rgds, Dudley

Intruder14
Motorcycle: 2003 Gold Wing

Postby Intruder14 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:46 pm

"I have been involved in R&D and developments regarding reverse trikes for just over 8 years now. Actually the first and only RT conversion company in the US with a universal fit design."
OK, but you are limiting the market of riders. I no longer ride because I can't support the bike at a stop, which your design answers. However, If I can't lean, I might as well be in a convertible. The leaning trike may work for me; no way to know, yet. I know I miss the wind in my, well, on my head. I was the one that always rode the speed limit, UNTIL we hit the curves. I didn't need more traction, I needed more CLEARANCE. Alas, woe is me, and all that rot. Often today's novelty is tomorrow's necessity. Dang, I miss kick starters, hard pegs, NOT.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”