Helmet question?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
SlowLaneScott
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800A

Helmet question?

Postby SlowLaneScott » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:20 am

Hello Forum,
As a new rider to road motorcycles I am wondering if the Forum can suggest a helmet brand that is compatible with the 2006 GL1800A wiring and intercom? In northern Canada we have large bugs, so I'm thinking of going with a face full or modular style of helmet. Please advise. Thanks.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Helmet question?

Postby NVSB4 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:08 pm

First, welcome to the forum.
Any helmet is compatible with the Goldwing, unless you want to start matching colors, then you are on your own. :D
I have a modular helmet and love the versatility, but others swear by 3/4 or full face.

It's the headset that will allow communication between the bike, you (radio & CB) and passenger (intercom).
Most of the time headsets are purchased separately from the helmet, but there are a lot of stores/online that have them already integrated.
If you want to stick with the wired system, J&M headsets are some of the best.
If you want to go bluetooth, check out Sena.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Bugmerc
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
1976 GL1000

Postby Bugmerc » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:56 pm

I also have a modular style and enjoy it. For what that's worth... :D

Mine was on the inexpensive side, made by Bilt, marketed by Cycle Gear.

Fit is what's most important. Try on a bunch, some will fit the shape of your head, others will not.

SlowLaneScott

Postby SlowLaneScott » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:44 pm

Hi Folks,
Maybe I should re-phrase the question. As I purchased this bike recently and it did not come with a Owners Manual and I won't be into a Honda Dealership for a few weeks. Just wondering what type of headset is compatible with the cords mounted on the fairing and rear seat? Does that also connect into the CB? Are these headsets externally mounted on the helmets or can they be hidden away inside? I hear the cords get damaged and need to be replaced often?
I think I squeezed in my last ride of the season today. Rear tire slipped out a bit on a corner in the 2 degrees Celsius wet weather we are having. A gentle warning from Mother Nature to put it away.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:37 pm

The plugs you are referring to DO tie into the CB, AM/FM radio, and if equipped CB & Intercom. You will need to purchase your headset from J&M or some other supplier and install it INSIDE your helmet.

On a side note, J&M does offer some helmets with the speakers/mike already installed too, if you do not have a helmet you really like.

http://www.jmcorp.com/index.htm
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

SlowLaneScott

Postby SlowLaneScott » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:25 pm

Thanks for the excellent feedback and website. J&M headsets are integrated in several helmet brands I will be looking for.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”