battery & storage

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

battery & storage

Postby hap2 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:57 am

As I sit on my GL1500 facing forward, is the battery on the right side of the bike or the left?

Also, if I didn't have a place to put it during the winter, if I drain the air, fill it with gas with Stabil, take the battery out, raise the tires off the asphalt, & cover it up, do you think the bike would be ok during the winter or would you pay $40 or $50 / month for storage?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: battery & storage

Postby themainviking » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:04 am

Depending on how you cover it, it should be okay. Do not use a polythene tarp, as it will smudge your paint if the wind blows on it. Also, leaving the tires on the asphalt will not do enough harm to them to worry about. If you have a battery tender, and can leave it plugged in, then you do not have to remove it. Oil change, gas stabilizer (full fuel tank) and ensuring the coolant can stand up to winter temps are the main items to do.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:27 am

If I did not have a place to park the bike inside, I would definitely opt for renting storage!
If temps will get below freezing I would pull the battery. Battery out or left in bike, use a battery maintainer.
Stabil in a nearly empty tank, Fill with gas and ride it for at least 10minutes to get the mix completely through the system.
Battery is on the right side.
What air are you talking about draining?? If you mean the suspension, I do not think that is needed!
No need to elevate the tires off the asphalt.
If you must park it outside, put an open container of moth balls under the bike to keep the "critters" off of it!

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:27 am

While it would be nice to store it inside, if you can't it's no big deal. This might be a little overkill, but you won't have any problems. 1-put down a tarp or canvas on the concrete or,pavement, or stones that you're going to park it on.This is to help prevent moisture from attacking from underneath. 2- I jack it up a little and, after putting at least 40# of air in both tires, put a piece of wood under each tire. This helps prevent them from checking and flat spotting.Then I leave it on the center stand. 3- I like to pull the sparkplugs and fog the cylinders with a light oil, one at a time. Hopefully, this prevents the rings from sticking because you will not run the bike all winter. 4- I seal up the ends of the exhaust pipes(mufflers). You don't want anything crawling into there-and they will. 5- I take a couple of old towels(or buy some at the dollar store) and cover the windshield and seat. This will help prevent the cover from chaffing and/or scratching and hopefully suck up moisture and prevent mold. 6-Cover with a regular bike cover, but tie or bungee it so it won't come off in a good wind. Of course this is after treating the full tank of fuel and taking the battery out and storing it inside. A completely, fully charged battery MAY make it through your winter in Alberta, but why risk it, when it takes 5 minutes to pull it and take it inside? Finally, I sprinkle moth flakes all around and under the bike-on top of the tarp that was initially put down- to help keep critters away. You may have to check and do this frequently, if where you store it isn't out of the wind. Like I stated earlier, it may be a little overkill, but you won't have any problems in spring.

hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

Postby hap2 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:29 am

Thank u soo much. Ya; I left it out one winter parked in a freinds back yard on the grass, covered up & battery out. Didn't jack it up or anything. It started right up after 5 months. But still I have a garage for 30 / month available.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”