Dealership experiences good/bad recommendations/warnings

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Dealership experiences good/bad recommendations/warnings

Postby Scooter363y » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:19 pm

I'd like to relate some experiences about the motorcycle industry both from the inside and outside.

When I was younger I worked on my dad's top gas dragster. Very important to get things right when it's going 200+ in a matter of seconds. I also had my share of mini and small dirt bikes growing up. I started out trueing my own wheels at 13, maintained bikes at 14, and did my first top end job at 15. It was no Chysler hemi but it was a start. Fast forward I started working in a motorcycle shop at 21. Doing basic maint work.

I worked at various dealerships and distributors until 1981 I got a job at a shop that did only service work. They didn't sell bikes at all (psyche therapy in Columbus Ohio). What a truely different experience this was. There were great mechanics there that really loved/cared about what they were doing. The owner (Mark) was the best person that I have ever worked for. Another mech (Eric) was/is one of my oldest/best friends ever. There I worked for 4 years while going to college for a mechanical engineering degree. There I worked on just about everything under the sun. Learned what to do and what not to do. And in general learned to be a better mechanic and person. I miss those times some days. We were not in it for the money but just enjoyed the people and work.

I retired from Honda engineering after 31 1/2 years of service only to find that this kind of dealer is mostly a thing of the past. I took my 2014 wing into the local dealer to have a small vibration checked out. Well they didn't find anything. Wow I know that it was there. Ok I quit wasting time here and went to the iron pony in Columbus. My old friend Alan was there and introduced me to one of the mechs in the back. He took it for a ride, acknowledged the small vibration. Since I was relatively new to wing ownership I basically wanted a second opinion. He not only rode it but took the front wheel off and physically checked the bearings. I had noticed this small vibration coming down pikes beak and thought it was bearing related. I had put new tires and Centramatic balancers on after that at 6k miles. The front end was reassembled, and I noticed that it was much more complient over road bumps and smoother too. Well I thought this must be where all the good mechanics went. The mech didn't charge me anything for the investigation work only about 7k on it then. I thanked him and slipped hom a 20 anyway. If in the area give Iron Pony a look see. Great dealership and great people.

Scott

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Dealership experiences good/bad recommendations/warnings

Postby themainviking » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:12 am

This sounds like the front wheel was not installed and torqued in the proper order and fashion before he looked at it, and he did it correctly. If not done correctly, it can cause a phenomenon known as stiction, which is when the front fork tubes are just slightly offline, and do not run smoothly. This can also cause minor vibration at low speeds, as the fork "hitches" as it moves. If the Honda shop had cared, they could easily have fixed this, but therein lies the problem. Most dealership mechanics are just doing the job for the money.

That has become more evident at my local dealership since we had an ownership change. The local auto KIA dealer bought out the motorcycle dealership, and now we get KIA customer service, which is smiles up front and out the back the same thing as always comes out the back end. They got rid of, one by one, all the people who worked there originally, and have only their own people there now, with a new system of management and customer service. And it sucks. In addition, they no longer have any trained qualified motorcycle mechanics. We have a small dealer forty miles away, and a great dealer 200 miles away to whom I will take any problems and business now. Anyone coming to this area, should avoid our local dealership with a passion, as the service is low and the prices are high. They are called North Bay Cycle.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

mikelens
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Postby mikelens » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:27 am

Long Island, NY - Cross Bay Motorsports

That's my local dealer, only 5 minutes from home; very convenient. But that's where it ends. Went there once & that was enough.
It was with my 90 SE. Wanted to find out about routine maintenance, since I just acquired it & didn't know it's history. Spoke to the service manager & was told:
"I'd rather have my guys throw tires & brakes at crotch-rockets than waste 5 minutes looking at that thing."
Never gone back since.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:10 pm

mikelens wrote:...Spoke to the service manager & was told: "I'd rather have my guys throw tires & brakes at crotch-rockets than waste 5 minutes looking at that thing."
Never gone back since.

And to apply for a job there you probably need a college degree. :lol:

With three real bad experiences at three different dealers trying to do warranty repair work I'll never take my machine back to a dealer!
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:04 pm

WOW!!!
Curious: IS there any way of changing this growing problem?
Obviously going to the dealership owner ultimately does little good since he/she was the one setting the companies rules of business.

OH there are few that will TCOB but those are few.
I wonder if that TV show "Undercover Boss" is doing any good, in relation to poor dealerships at 'seeing the light'.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:58 am

When Rainbow Honda first opened in Bentonville, Arkansas, I was in and out of there all the time.
Some of their salesmen I considered friends. I recall the parts guy steering me towards some parts that were 1/2 or 1/3 the price of "Genuine Honda" parts and were "just as good".
I knew some of the mechanics by there first name and they knew mine. The dealership sponsored rides and poker runs on Saturdays & Sundays.
It was a place where friends would meet and sometimes, we'd meet at closing time so one of the salesmen could go on a supper ride with us.
I recall on one occasion, it was a Sunday or the store had closed, we met for a ride. Something broke or failed on someone's bike. One of the employees opened the store, got the part, put it on the bike and said come in next week to pay for it.
Then the dealership was sold and moved to the next town over (Rogers). Not been the same since. :roll:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:40 pm

If in the DFW area and need service...DO NOT go to Fort Worth Motorsports, they WILL rip you off. Don't bother DFW Honda, if you have a bike older than 10 years, they won't work on them. So I don't bother them, since mines too old for them!
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:55 pm

With the increasing complexity of the GoldWing and that fact they last so long, Honda should be making it a point to work on older than 10 year old bikes AND stock parts.
Otherwise, who in their right mind would want a Wing knowing what they can't fix themselves, will not be serviced.
It's like they're cutting their own throats, business-wise. :(

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”