Its That Time Of Year Again

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
rockford75
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Its That Time Of Year Again

Postby rockford75 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:09 pm

Its that time of year again. When the snow is flyin and the temperature is dropping. The time to ponder the year of great rides on the bike. Traveling around the countryside taking in all the scenery listening to the sound of the engine running like a sewing machine,and the wind blowing in my face. That time of year when you know its time to put the bike away but you just can't,cause your hoping for one more ride one more tour. But this time mother nature has got me beat. Its that time of year to think about what maintenance Iam going to do to my bike over the winter. Or what kinds of improvements I want to make to her. So with a heavy heart today's the day I put her away for the winter. All because its that time of year again. :(

A BIKE IS LIKE A AIRPLANE Maintenance Maintenance!

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Re: Its That Time Of Year Again

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:17 pm

Yeah it's that time of year. :cry:
Need to get the trip photos out of the phone and on to paper. :lol:
The bike needs attention, the RV needs attention and the house is finished and needs painting. :(

How did I keep up with all this stuff before I retired?!!! :roll:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Bugmerc
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
1976 GL1000

Postby Bugmerc » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:05 am

Yeah it's that time of year that I won't sweat out a gallon of water on a trip across town!

Not time to put the bike away around here. Rode in a moderate rain yesterday and last night went to a orchestra concert where my daughter is 1st chair cello. When we left it was 59 deg F, so a little chilly but not bad. The wife on the back thinks it's time for the liner in her jacket but in the driver's seat it was fine.

Thinking of a trip down to Tombstone this weekend, haven't been there since I was a wee lad. I feel for you guys that have to hide the bike from the snow!!

rockford75

Postby rockford75 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:23 am

Bugmerc wrote:Yeah it's that time of year that I won't sweat out a gallon of water on a trip across town!

Not time to put the bike away around here. Rode in a moderate rain yesterday and last night went to a orchestra concert where my daughter is 1st chair cello. When we left it was 59 deg F, so a little chilly but not bad. The wife on the back thinks it's time for the liner in her jacket but in the driver's seat it was fine.

Thinking of a trip down to Tombstone this weekend, haven't been there since I was a wee lad. I feel for you guys that have to hide the bike from the snow!!

LOL... Oh sure Arizona! Iam afraid Canada this time of year is not going to compare to riding there. I used to get depressed having to put the bike away when the snow hits. But now I see it as a chance to do some much needed maintenance on the bike.

rockford75

Postby rockford75 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:25 am

OldZX11Rider wrote:Yeah it's that time of year. :cry:
Need to get the trip photos out of the phone and on to paper. :lol:
The bike needs attention, the RV needs attention and the house is finished and needs painting. :(

How did I keep up with all this stuff before I retired?!!! :roll:

well now that your retired and relaxing you can keep up with the work on the bike and RV. Besides in retirement a guy needs a reason to get up in the morning lol..

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:27 pm

If everything was done, I'd start planning a trip to Arizona. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:37 am

rockford75 wrote:
Bugmerc wrote:Yeah it's that time of year that I won't sweat out a gallon of water on a trip across town!

LOL... Oh sure Arizona! Iam afraid Canada this time of year is not going to compare to riding there. I used to get depressed having to put the bike away when the snow hits. But now I see it as a chance to do some much needed maintenance on the bike.

I thought it was kind of the opposite for you guys in the southwest and in the hottest part of the summer is when you stopped and did maintenance. Its looking like in some areas we might get lucky and maybe get a reprieve. Lots of rain showers pushing thru hopefully enough to wash away the salt they put down so far. :D :D

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:59 pm

I'm going to get the wing in my neighbors garage for hibernation by the end of the week but the might ST 1300 will hibernate in the cycle shelter so if there is a warm day I can get out for a ride. don't any of you guys from warm weather states feel sorry that I have to put my bikes in hibernation cause I look forward to having a few months off the bike and plan a few rides for next year. looking at doing another moonshine lunch run, helping ibajim with his uper madness ( an all upper Michigan ss1000 IBA ride ) and lake superior IBA rides, doing an iba ride to Mn. for the IBA rally, a couple trips to Pa. going back to niagra falls ( both sides ), and riding part of route 66. I did just under 15,000 miles on the mighty ST 1300 and another 5000 on the wing this year sofar
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:56 am

I keep the 'wing and one of the scooters prepped and ready to go at a moments notice. Anytime the roads aren't icy during the winter, I'm going for a ride. I can dress for the cold. I just keep a sharp eye out for black ice and the cagers, who don't expect to see a nut on a bike.

Bugmerc
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
1976 GL1000

Postby Bugmerc » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:29 pm

I guess that's when the wimps cry that it's too hot and time to do maintenance. :)

But if it's too hot to ride, it's too hot in most peoples garage. I'm lucky that I have a cooled shop.

I ride in the heat though. 106 was the hottest I think I've ridden in. This morning was a little chilly at 34 F. I will brave the cold tomorrow and ride, it will probably be 40F +. :D :D

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:43 am

We are fortunate here in that we can ride most of the winter should we so choose. The day time temps rarely fall below freezing, it is a balmy 47f today, and unless you are in the hills, snow is also a rarity. It is often wet though which makes for slick surfaces on the roads. A particular hazard is on roundabouts where trucks and buses have spilled fuel as they go round. Diesel on a dry road is bad, but on an already greasy, wet surface and on a curve, it is especially perilous. Perhaps the main thing putting me off riding is all the road salt which is put down to prevent ice forming. It really takes its toll on motorcycles.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Postby offcenter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:42 am

Once the salt is on the road, my bikes are parked until the first good spring rain.
You would think that in this age of modern science that they could come up
with something better to melt snow that would not corrode vehicles!!
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:55 am

Oh, and I forgot to mention - that super bright, low winter sun. I went for a short run to the coast today, and couldn't see a thing on my way back. I had to stop until the sun had gone down.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:16 pm

Like minimac I get to ride whenever the ice subsides. Where I'm at I can ride pretty much year round with heated gear as long as we don't get iced up. A little snow 2-3 inches isn't real bad once everyone pulls their head out and stops screwing up. I've been on ice and that certainly raises my concern (I'm not completely out of my mind), but I'm still waiting for that sub-zero ride to work. So far 5F is my coldest ride and at 55mph heated gear is set to broil and not really enough after 30 minutes. Fortunately no salt in use here just sand/cinder and some deicer sprayed around a few intersections. If the wind is up then the snow often blows off the road between the ranch and town, the interstate is an anyone's guess scenario though. I can feel for the heat of Tucson (my college home), the heat isn't bad until you stop at any of a million traffic lights then you swim! My hottest ride was 125F outside Vegas and that was almost miserable, When its too hot to ride you really can't work on your bike either....

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Return to “Goldwing Chat”