Long Ride

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Long Ride

Postby WA9FWT » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:00 pm

Two week ends ago I and the wife headed across the state with one other biker and his wife. We got about 150 miles down the road when I pulled into a gas station, put my foot down and over the bike went. I did have my helmit on , but no jacket, just a T -shirt. It didn't take long when I discovered blood running down my right arm. Took care of the arm and the wife was Ok too.Off we went, and put on about 50 more miles and stopped at a car show only to drop the bike again. This time some one saw my head hit the concrete, and the helmit showed that I did. The wife says her shoulder was hurting but not bad.
Not un tell we got too the hotel and late into the evening did she complain about her shoulder. Good thing we had the Advil along
which sure helped. Now to say why I dumped the bike so many times.I have not rode this far and for so long, in ten years
I was on the road from 10 in the morning until 5 in the afternoon. Way to much for a old 71 year old. Also the added weight I'm sure didn't help
But the biggest problem was the wide and big boards added to this 1982 A Wing. The bike is already leaning some when you have to put your feet over those boards.I drove this bike for some time and never had a problem until this longer trip.
So , the boards are now off, and I feel a lot better, but the wife will not get on, well maybe in time if I live so long!!
But I can tell you one thing, I'm sure glad I never ride with out a helmit Never !! My new full face helmit now has proof
it works.I never knew I hit the road with my head.I must say though the ride across the State was great, I wish I had a camera mounted and all I had to do is push a button for all the beauty we saw along the way.
WA9FWT Phil

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Re: Long Ride

Postby maestro319 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:36 am

Your profile says Wisconsin, so I am assuming that's the state you rode across. Wisconsin is a beautiful state. My wife and I have a "summer" home near The Dells. We have enjoyed it for 35 years. In fact, we got married on the Menominee Indian Resevation on the Wolf River near Big Smoky Falls 35 years ago. Honeymoon was camping the state parks for over a week. Loved it and the state. Now I hope to bike it someday. Pix of your trip would have been great!!

MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Postby MJSantos » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:36 am

Glad it was only minor injuries. I agree with you about the floor boards, you have that extra width to deal with same reason I took mine off.
Dropped mine in the garage and bruised up my shin. Being tired after working all day I feel added to the problem, we're not as sharp, something about this "age" thing, :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:58 am

It took me a while to get used to the boards on my 82 Aspy - I was forever bruising my shins any time I had to move it around, or have my feet on the ground. I never do that anymore, and I'm completely used to them. The only thing that drives me crazy about them is when they drag on the ground in turns.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:38 am

I thought I was use to the boards too.But it must have been the long time on the road that did me in.Any way they are now in a box. And the marks that boards always left on my boots and legs are disappearing ha ha Now I'm looking at that Corbin seat, and see if I can lower that some, so I can get my feet flatter on the ground.
The seat needs some attention any way, and I have a good friend that is in that type of business.so he said he will look at it and lower some how.

WA9FWT Phil

Return to “Goldwing Chat”