Clutch Issues

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
stevenzierke
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Goldwing Interstae

Clutch Issues

Postby stevenzierke » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:16 pm

I'm attempting to bleed the clutch on my 1984 GL1200 Interstate. After much research and even more reading, I'm attempting to diagnose my lack of clutch pressure. All signs lead to bleeding it out, replacing the fuid, and burping out the air. Simple enough task I thought. However, I have a problem, the phillips head screws on the master cylinder are froze, rusted, and the heads stripped out for the mostpart. See Picture below.

Secondly, the view hole is so discolored I'm unable to tell what the level of the fluid is or possible condition. See picture below.

Thirdly, what is the purpose of the circled area in the next picture? When the screw is removed, it is dry as a bone to the bottom. Other observations show that there are the remains of what looks to be teflon tape on the threads? Why?

I would greatly appreciate any help, guidance, or experience that can be offered. I have used more than a few solvents on the srews, everything from store bought to commerial anti seize compounds with no luck. Am I screwed and just need to eat it and replace the clutch master?

Steven
Kingwood, TX

arkansassuperdrafter
Motorcycle: 1985 Gl1200 Interstate
1986 Gl1200 Interstate

Re: Clutch Issues

Postby arkansassuperdrafter » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:52 pm

Steven, I can sympathize with your situation, as I have two Interstates (85 & 86) that I have been working on for over a year. I have done a lot of rebuilding and would not have a problem riding them anywhere. As far as your master cylinder, If you can't get the screws out, the last resort would be to drill them out. The clouding on the site glass should not be a problem unless it is leaking. There are several posts on on differnent sites telling how to replace the glass. In your third picture, the screw can be removed and mirrors can be installed. This is a leftover from the "Standard " goldwing. Some guys install helmet pins in those locations.
Bryce
Bryce
85 and 86 Interstates

barkman49
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 interstate

Postby barkman49 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:41 pm

If you can get a hammer impact tool you may be able to get the screws out it come with differant bits for regular and phillips head hope this helps
Del

stevenzierke
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Goldwing Interstae

Postby stevenzierke » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:44 pm

I kindly appreciate the advice. I didn't think of it before, but I had someone mention the bushing in the lever as a possible culprit and this is the first I heard of it. I will check it out also to see it's condition. Anyone know where I can find this bushing to purchase?
A more acurate description of my "problem" is that it worked for the most part in the begining when my brother-in-law bought it about 6 monthes ago. He let it sit for about 4 months before I ended up with it. When we were loading it on the trailer, we had no clutch at all. When I squeeze the clutch lever there is zero resistance. Now, i can touch it barely, and it depresses all the way in , with nothing. If ya'll can think of anything else, please let me know. Again, Thanks!
Steven
Kingwood, TX

nvrider
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100I
79 CB900
75 CB350

Postby nvrider » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:06 pm

Your best bet is to use a small drill bit and an easy out slow and easy so as not to brake the top the inpack driver could brake the top or even the houseing the easy out is the safest way but go easy !! get a set of small easyouts and use the smallest one by drilling the CENTER of the screw a little at a time untill you can get the smallest easyout to bit then slow steady pressure to unscrew the screw if the easy out slips drill a tad deeper repeat as nessary it may take a little time but this is the safest way to get them out. good luck!!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”