Safety checks are worthwhile

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Safety checks are worthwhile

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:52 pm

I know there is always a tendency to assume all is well with your bike, hop on it, and go out for a ride. I have to admit, I don't take the time to examine my tires for nails or check the pressure every time I go out.

That said, I do a quick and simple safety check when I first pull the bike out of the garage, and am waiting for it to warm up. I check the tail lights, front and rear turn signals, and brake lights - both foot and hand activated. I also give the horn a quick toot.

Because I do this, I discovered a couple months ago that my horn wiring had given up the ghost. I didn't have to wait until I NEEDED it to find out.

Because I do this, I discovered a few weeks ago that the spring connecting my brake pedal to the brake light switch had become disconnected, meaning I had no brake lights when I hit my brake pedal.

Because I do this, I discovered this morning that my front brake lever no longer activates my brake light - something's gone wrong with the wiring somewhere. I'll pull it apart tonight to have a look.

Stuff goes wrong! Take 30 seconds, do a quick pre-flight, and make sure your bike is ready to go!

jswag5
Motorcycle: 81 gl1100

Re: Safety checks are worthwhile

Postby jswag5 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:02 pm

good advice, i do roughly the same thing everytime i pull the bike out, but i also do a quick tire check, not for nails and such, but for low looking tires, and check the oil at least. its also a good time for helmet and gear checks, at least once a week i inspect my helmet and other riding gear for wear, cracks, and tread on my boots(nothing worse than putting a foot down and not having any grip and have your foot slide out from under you).
others ive owned

78 honda cx500(in pieces)
82 kaw kz1000p(still own)
83 yam maxim midnight(my dads now)
85 yam maxim x
79 kaw kz900

nvrider
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100I
79 CB900
75 CB350

Postby nvrider » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:22 pm

A pre-flight is one of the best things we all can due to ensure the wing (bike) is ready but don't forget to pre-flight yourself ,wallet ,keys cell phone or anything you might need and Kiss the other half good by and tell them you LOVE them, JUST in case something major happens we never know when the LORD will call us home it would easy the pain just a bit of the ones left here to know how much we care about them!!!! Just my 2cents worth after haveing a minor stroke three weeks ago while riding home from work! Every thing is getting back to normeal started riding to work agine today oh what a fealing to ride agine it was allmost as good as something else but not quite but i realy loved the feeling of riding agine!!!! :) :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:33 pm

Well, I spent a fair part of the day tearing my bike apart hunting down the electrical problem responsible for my front brakes no longer activating the brake lights - and I found it, buried under a mess of electrical tape: a long-abandoned previous-owners "modification" that had come apart. Every time I find one of these PO "mods" and exorcise it from my bike, I think; "well that's it, that's the last remnant I'll find of THAT mess." sigh.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:20 am

What is it they say, Safety First man. My biggest problem is that I keep forgetting to turn the fuel valve on and once I get down the street it starts to sputter, it seems to have just enough fuel to warm it up though..... then I have to stop like a fool just to turn the valve on...I'm a real pro...Not

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:53 pm

littlebeaver wrote:What is it they say, Safety First man. My biggest problem is that I keep forgetting to turn the fuel valve on and once I get down the street it starts to sputter, it seems to have just enough fuel to warm it up though..... then I have to stop like a fool just to turn the valve on...I'm a real pro...Not

I did that for the first time in a VERY long time just two weeks ago. The bike was already warm, so I got on it, drove a couple blocks, and onto the freeway. I was about 1/2 mile down the freeway when I realized the bike was slowing down despite the fact that I was opening the throttle. My brain did a "fuel petcock, dummy!" and I reached down and flicked it on. It takes about five seconds for the float chambers to refill, and you have full power again. It's worth practicing once or twice in advance, so you know exactly where to reach while riding.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:27 am

I painted my 81 interstate almost the same color as your 82 WingAdmin, I need to get a photo posted here, I have the same lightbar and all, it looks like my bike there..I'm glad you didn't get run down on the freeway, if you think about it, it could have been bad.. so yeh guys double check your valves..

BRIANINMAINE
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 standard with Honda fairing, Vetter bags and trunk

Postby BRIANINMAINE » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Man I am so lazy about doing stuff like that. I don't even turn off the petcock! Bad, bad, bad!!! :lol:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”