Hi everybody! New rider in Abbotsford, BC

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
DamienSteel
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Hi everybody! New rider in Abbotsford, BC

Post by DamienSteel » Thu May 11, 2017 2:55 am

Hey everyone. I met one of the members on this board today (Firstwing85, thanks again man!) and he sent me here. I bought my bike Monday. I've never ridden before, and I'm pretty much teaching myself since the guy who agreed to supervise me has an opposite work schedule to me. I'm very proud to say in two hours of riding I've managed to keep my bike upright and moving, I can turn pretty well and fast stops are improving. I'll upload pics of my bike soon. I bought it as a first bike, but having ridden it now I really want to restore this sweetheart. The fairings have seen better days (I swear I didn't drop it). Mechanically she runs very well (to an inexperienced rider) so I'm hoping she doesn't need too much, but she'll get whatever she needs because I absolutely love this bike! I recently started airbrush painting, and look forward to painting my girl up. I look forward to talking with you all!!

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Hi everybody! New rider in Abbotsford, BC

Post by RoadRogue » Thu May 11, 2017 3:09 am

Woo Hoooooo another Canuck joins the best Wing site on the net. Welcome from the Kootenays 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:13 am

Welcome from across the small pond. Good on you for practicing. Take the basic motorcycle course, use their bikes if possible - around a 250 is good for licencing. Once you get your licence, ride for a bit then take a Controls course upgrade such as the one from Roadcraft located out of Richmond. Here is their site: http://roadcraftacademy.com/control-skills-upgrade/. Done their course and others, best money spent.

Better to do this within a year of your licencing as bad habits are hard to break and having an objective appraisal of your riding skills from someone else is money well spent. It is also very hard to critique yourself.

Again, welcome and enjoy your new ride.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:12 am

Welcome to the forum from Virginia!

I realize you are on the opposite side of the continent but this Forum is planning a real get together in September 22-24, 2017 in Chillicothe, Ohio. Look at the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=36469

The thread is about 6 pages long so it is a good read but all of the info regarding place to stay and so forth is there! Ride down and join us! There is nothing like taking a long tour on a motorcycle.

I would like to echo or ditto the above comments about taking a basic riding and advanced courses. I had a friend who died several years ago who was a motorcycle course instructor in Ontario. You guys have an excellent rider training program in Canada!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

DamienSteel

Post by DamienSteel » Thu May 11, 2017 1:08 pm

I only know two riders (one of whom I just met as I mentioned) and both have stressed taking the basic riding safety course. Here's my concern with that (maybe others can give some feedback on their experiences?): I'm a truck driver. I paid just over six thousand dollars for the driving school to get my license and they only taught me the BARE MINIMUM I needed to know to pass the road test. Nothing else was covered, and when I finally started working as a truck driver I was expected to know so much more that I ended up having to teach myself. The basic motorcycle safety course here is eight hundred dollars. If all they're going to teach me are the skills I need to get my license, I feel that eight hundred dollars could be better spent on gear to keep my tender self intact should I crash. The book given to me by the province when I passed the knowledge test is incredibly comprehensive, and everything I've taught myself riding in the parkade of my apartment I read in that book. I think I'm doing pretty well so far, I am not rushing, and I really am taking a lot of time to practice what I've learned. I would also like to note the information taught at the basic skills riding course comes directly from the book because the book is issued by the province as the curriculum for new riders and the school is required by law to teach everything in it, in the order it is laid out in the book. So basically I feel like I would be paying someone to read a book for me. I'm sure many people who pass the knowledge test throw the book away without ever opening it and hop on their bikes, intent on getting out there and riding. I did not. I read it cover to cover, and I review each skills section I practice as well as reading ahead on what I'll work on next. I'm absolutely not discounting the value of safety courses, please don't think I'm saying they're worthless. I'm only hesitant to spend money on something I can teach myself if that's all I'll learn by taking the course.

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci » Thu May 11, 2017 5:42 pm

I took a motorcycle safety course when I began riding several years ago (it was nowhere near $800). The skills I learned were worth every penny; I still use them every day and am a better rider because of it. I also got a break on my insurance since I had taken the course.

runnerme
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate, 2008 V Star 1100 custom

Post by runnerme » Thu May 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Don't know what the requirements are in B.C., but in Manitoba the course is mandatory to get your leaners permit. I found it invaluable. Taught you the basics, both skills and safety. Training and even re-trainng is always a good thing

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:05 pm

My understanding is the basic motorcycle course will save you having to take the parking lot test where you have to maneuver your bike in a very enclosed space. You will have to do the slow crawl with the facilitator beside you at the facilitators speed, a small cone weave, emergency braking in a very short space without locking up the rear wheel, a 90 degree turn at very slow speed, and some other skill patterns. My son-in-law tried on his CBR 600, he did not make it through. He borrowed a 250 second time through to do this part of the licence, and practiced the specific skill patterns.

I would recommend finding a parking lot or something similar where you can lay out this part of the test and practice it - the requirements are on line I believe. You may also want to visit the closest motor vehicle branch and watch the test being given.

Good luck.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

cyberlon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Post by cyberlon » Thu May 11, 2017 10:23 pm

When I took my course to get a license, I had already been riding for several years. Never got caught, so didn't care it was illegal. The instructor for the MSF course I took was VERY good, easy to get along with, and able to teach to each individuals' comfort level. It was only a couple of hours a day for 3 days, and they provided bikes and helmets. One of my "classmates" was very new to the two wheel club and laid her borrowed bike down a couple of times during training. (nobody was hurt) Insurance for these bikes must be sky high, as they are intended for unlicensed riders. Anyway, using a provided bike has its advantages over using your own or one borrowed from a friend. I valued all of the time both in the classroom and in the reserved parking lot in which the training took place so much that I continued to take their advanced courses later, using my own bike. (The advanced courses had higher rates, but I still learned from them... even as a "seasoned" rider.) The final day felt much like the first two, but was considered the "final" test and they provided a waiver for the Department of Motor Vehicles that bypassed their test. (which includes scheduling a time, and even more time waiting in infernally slow lines)
Of course, I don't know how things work in Canada, so forgive me if the test requires your own bike.

billbob
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda gl1800 goldwing

Post by billbob » Thu May 11, 2017 11:57 pm

Welcome ,congrats on your 1st bike.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Welcome, from another BC'er! You're really going to enjoy your bike! You also happen to have lots of outstanding roads & highways around Abbotsford, up into the canyon, etc., so you have tons of play room! I always enjoy my rides through your area.

rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Post by rcgreg » Fri May 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Welcome to the club. The 1100 is a very good bike - I was taught riding with the Police, so our course would be a little different than the one offered locally - and - your bike doesn't have a 'suicide' shift !:)
Best of luck and head on over to Creston, the ride along the lakeshore is one of the best in the enire Country !

DamienSteel

Post by DamienSteel » Sat May 13, 2017 1:17 am

Highway 3 is a fantastic run, I drive it weekly to Princeton and occasionally Grand Forks in an 18 wheeler. I can't wait to ride it on my bike! Yes, Creston is on my list of rides. I intend to ride as many miles in BC as I can this summer, ending the summer with a ride to Edmonton labor day weekend to surprise my son whom I haven't seen in three years.

I'm not discounting the value of the training course, only saying I'm hesitant to spend that money just to get my license. I do intend to take training courses (apparently there are many valuable ones to be taken even for licensed riders) but at the outset I feel my money will be better spend on gear as opposed to just the basic skills needed to get my license. Since it's different for each jurisdiction I'll lay it out for us here in BC so you guys can understand my position.

You take the knowledge test which gives you a learner's permit. This permit allows you to ride but you must be supervised by someone with a full motorcycle license at all times when on public roads. This person rides their own bike (I think they can also be in a car, not sure about that part) while you ride yours. You can only ride during daylight hours (dawn to dusk), you may not carry passengers, and you may not ride over 60 kmph. When you're ready, you take a skills test. This test is in a closed environment (a parking lot where the public does not drive) where you demonstrate basic skills such as the slow ride, rolling turns and turns from a stop, stopping, gearing, slalom and finally emergency stopping. Pass this and you get a "novice" motorcycle license. You may then ride without a supervisor, and you don't have the speed restriction but you may still only ride daylight hours and you are not permitted to carry a passenger. Once you take the final road test on public roads you get the full license with no restrictions. You may use your own bike from from the start, which I have been.

Since the book I was given after the knowledge test lays down step by step each skill needed to ride in an easy to understand and logical order (each skill you learn carries into the next lesson where you apply it), I feel as though I am taking the course for basic riding skills, at my own pace and on my own schedule. The scheduling is another problem for me. With my job I have mondays and fridays off, and each day I work I start early in the afternoon. The bike course only runs on wednesday and thursday evenings, then saturday and sunday morning. I would have to take two days off work (not something I can really afford to do) and then drive tired that weekend (tired truck driver is a bad idea). The school is unwilling to work a flexible schedule, so it only makes my choice that much easier. Of course, I am working harder because I don't have an experienced rider there to show me how to do the things I have to learn, but I feel in the end it will make me a stronger rider for having to learn it the hard way.

I hope to see a few of you on the highways this summer!

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Post by wing rider 2012 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:28 pm

Welcome to the forum from the Pacific Northwest. In Oregon it is required to take the motorcycle course in order to get your endorsement. One thing about taking a course is you not only learn from your book (in your case) but you get the knowledge from other experienced riders. Motorcycles are very unforgiving when it come to accidents and even the best rides are subject to having an accident. Most accidents are caused by drivers not seeing your bike and then pulling out in front of you requiring what is called a panic stop, and done wrong can cause a serious problem. I know the course I took taught the proper way to do a panic stop and they required you to practice it a number of times. I would suggest that you do pay the 800 dollars and take the course, it's 800 dollars that my give you an edge in case something happens.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:54 pm

BTW, you should definitely set aside some cash for good riding gear, if you haven't already got it. Road rash is long-lasting, extraordinarily painful, and disfiguring. Having a good-fitting, quality helmet is, of course, a given. And, please, DON'T ride in sneakers or flip-flops!! ('course, reading your posts so far, you seem to be very common-sense oriented, so wouldn't do that anyway) I've seen many people do that...and many horrendous injuries as a result (the downside of having been a collision analyst/reconstructionist - you go to more autopsies than most people have hot dinners...).

Ride on, and ride safe, Damien!!

rcgreg

Post by rcgreg » Sat May 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Ditto on the gear - Trying to identify and recover various body parts in the dark is not fun.

DamienSteel

Post by DamienSteel » Mon May 15, 2017 3:14 am

I am so excited! Tonight I watched several videos on the BC skills test, made a list of things I had yet to work on and then went downstairs and worked them like a rented mule! I can now slow ride at 5 kmph (not very steady, but I didn't touch the ground with my foot!!!) and u-turns in the space of two parking stalls! I need more practice but I am definately on the right track!

cyberlon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Post by cyberlon » Mon May 15, 2017 3:16 pm

If you are into watching videos that will teach you something, I also recommend MCRider on YouTube.

The host is an actual instructor in Texas, who passes along information for the good of the biking community.

DamienSteel

Post by DamienSteel » Wed May 17, 2017 1:40 am

YES! It's because of him that I was able to finally nail the u-turns! I'm doing figure 8's in my parkade now!

rcgreg

Post by rcgreg » Wed May 17, 2017 8:04 am

Not on skates though - right ? :)
Good Job - I'm going to look for those you tube videos of the test manuevers and scare everyone in the supermarket parking lot !!

DamienSteel

Post by DamienSteel » Fri May 26, 2017 2:13 am

Ok everyone, skills test time. I'll post tomorrow if I pass. If I don't, watch for my obituary. Just kidding! If I don't pass, I'll simply work harder and book again. Wish me luck!!!

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Post by RoadRogue » Fri May 26, 2017 11:09 am

You have got this, good luck anyways 8-)

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome