Crashed my GL1100I: What Would You Do?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Crashed my GL1100I: What Would You Do?

Post by patbrandon1 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:37 pm

On My 3rd 2017 at 6:10 p.m. I was involved in an accident while riding my GL1100i. I recall nothing of the accident. They say that I was alert at the scene of the accident and on the transport to the hospital, but I remember nothing until my girlfriend was at the side of the bed at around 8:00 p.m.

I was VERY lucky (blessed), I suffered no broken bones, just some scrapes, bruises, and sprains. I was wearing a helmet that they say helped me not get hurt worse.

But the reason I am writing this is to get feedback from the many long time Wingers out there about what they would do with the bike. All of the plastic (ABS) parts are ruined. The clutch lever is broken, but other than that, it still runs and is not too far gone to do something with. All the crash bars are ruined as well. I plan on riding again someday when I get another bike or fix this one.

Another point of interest is that the date today is May 22nd and there is still no accident report from the State Police that were on scene, and a motion camera that was attached is missing not anywhere to be found. The camera would have had to be removed by someone because of the way it was attached, and there were absolutely no traces of the camera, or the weatherproof case anywhere to be found. My upper partial plate of my teeth was broken in half, and we managed to find the teeth part (which is very small) and get them repaired, so any bits of the camera and/or case would have been found. Any thoughts about this? :?:

Here is a photo of it after the incident. Any feedback about what others would do with the bike would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a photo of what I looked like a couple days later. I am going to use a full face helmet from now on when I ride.

Thanks for your time, and I would like to say a HUGE thank you to Annie, my girlfriend, for all the help and encouragement she gave me through this bump in the road.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: Crashed my GL1100I: What Would You Do?

Post by Mh434 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:47 pm

Wow! You REALLY took a hit!!! BTW, I heartily recommend a full-face or modular helmet...on my "big" crash (a deer hit me, broke 32 of my bones, etc.) my modular helmet saved me from looking like you did...I maintained my accustomed ugly mug without any modifications.

Personally, I'd fix the bike, but then...I always do. In the aforementioned crash, the bike was in pretty much precisely the same condition yours is - plastic was totalled, but mechanically the bike was fine. I got what I could from the insurance company. They wrote the bike off, due to the cost of the plastic parts (quoted locally by the dealer at over $7,000), and allowed me to buy it back from them in exchange for most of the insurance payout. I contacted RoyAyers.com, ordered all the parts I needed, and had them delivered to my door (in Canada!!) for just over $2000CDN, tax & shipping included.

With only the use of one arm, it took me awhile to rebuild it, but I did it. In the process, I got to know the bike better than I ever did before, and kind of "bonded" with it more than ever before.

Just my $.02' worth...

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:19 pm

I am glad to see that you are okay? Make sure of that especially a concussion! But it is great that you are up and about!

I understand the financial end of fixing up the old bike, but I honestly would always be worried that something more serious was damaged even if I put it back together! I would get every dime out of the settlement I could and let them tow it away. Then I would go looking for something for a replacement! But that is just me!

Have you asked the state trooper/investigating officer if he knows about the camera? He may have taken it as evidence! Also you will probably have to go to the State police or whatever agency keeps accident records in your state to get a copy. In VA, copies are not provided to involved parties but they can obtain them from either the police agency or the DMV.. Usually there is a fee for the copy and I doubt if you can get it by mail but it may be possible to order from a state website.

Also has the investigator contacted you about any statements or even charges?
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Mon May 22, 2017 6:04 pm

Happy to see that you're on the road to recovery Pat. I've never been involved in a motorcycle crash at that unfortunate level, but I was involved in a serious car crash many years ago, so I have a pretty good idea of what you're presently going through. I don't know how long you've owned your bike, or how attached you are to what, based on your avatar photo, appears to have been a very fine looking machine. I have a '78 GL that I've had since it was new, and I'm extremely attached to it, and would no doubt find myself wrestling with the same question that you are. Do I fix it or not?
To be honest with you Pat, I have to think that I'm inclined to agree with Harvey on this one, and look around for another beauty, maybe the same vintage, maybe a step up, and make a full new start with that refreshed attitude regarding the helmet. Put this part of your motorcycling career in the past forever. A lesson learned. And celebrate a new start with a good long ride somewhere, and a candlelit dinner with Annie. That's what I think might be the way to go, if I were you.

Good luck............................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Good Hondog
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Good Hondog » Mon May 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Thank God you're OK Pat. The Goldwing is a strong bike and just looking at the picture of yours is a testament to how well they are built. If that were my bike I would check the wheels, forks, and frame over very carefully and if the side we can't see in the picture is no worse than the side that's photographed, then I would take off all the Interstate plastic and get the few needed replacement parts to make it into a Standard GL1100.

Geofd
Motorcycle: 1986 gl 1200

Post by Geofd » Thu May 25, 2017 5:23 pm

well,glad your ok a full face helmet is a
Must it save my life....as for your bike
I would take the insurance money and start fresh my bike was totaled way beyond fixing I had another bike and a friend crashed that it ran and drove fine before the accident but both brakes were locked up 2diffrent mechics said funny things can happen
to a bike so that Judy my opinion

pixel288
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1982 GS400E Suzuki
2009 CBR 125R HRC colors (daughter's bike)
1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by pixel288 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:13 pm

I'd be busting my chops to see where that camera went. Either the other person involved got it in order to avoid proof of what happened, or the police got it in order to find out what happened. As for the bike.... Unless it is of incredible sentimental value, I'd start fresh. Either use it for parts for another build or part anything out you can.

Phil

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Fri May 26, 2017 6:40 am

Yeah, for me, it would all depend on the insurance settlement. If they give you 4K and want 3K back for you to retain the bike, then it is a no brainer. Take the 4K, let them keep the bike, and go looking for another bike. There are lots and lots out there. If on the other hand, they offer you 4K and will let you have the bike for only $500 or so, then you could definitely get the bike into the same condition it was with minimal out of pocket expense, and some effort.

Your camera, if it recorded the incident, is vital to the story, however, it cannot be assumed that either the police, nor the other involved party have absconded with it. Most people would not even recognize a camera mounted on a bike as such. If the police have it, great. It will decide culpability in the incident. Other than that, any person with a knowledge of the Go Pro style of camera could have lifted it and run. Thieves are petty, and they are everywhere.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do in this, and I am glad you are reasonably okay. Get the healing done, and then get back in the saddle.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Reference the camera, if the police don't have it, check with the wrecking service that towed the bike and let them know you are going to file a report with the police about the camera.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

1979wing
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000K
1979 CBX-Z
1972 750-4
2003 SilverWing
2004 BWS 50

Post by 1979wing » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:52 am

My Grandmother gave me very wise counsel. She said you're never better off than before an accident. And you can never get back there. I would sell the bike for parts, and get another one. I was having issues crop up with my 79, more than I cared to deal with, and they would prevent me from riding this season, so I went out and bought an 84 Aspy, safety inspected, and ready to go. You only have so much time. Do you want to spend it fixing, dreaming of riding, or riding? My answer was 'riding', of course.

phantmotw
Motorcycle: 82 gl1100

Post by phantmotw » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:00 am

Glad you and your wife walked away without it being worse, I would restore it as a naked wing, hope your recovery is speedy.
1981 GL1100

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Post by detdrbuzzard » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:14 am

glad you are ok but if you are going to restore the bike you need to make sure the frame and forks are not bent
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

romanfj
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Post by romanfj » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:04 am

Someone hit me at the end of last season and flipped my '82 GW. Broke 2 ribs, torn retina, bruised top to bottom and a fractured left tibia. I had only put 200 miles on it after rebuilding everything except the engine. :twisted:

The front end was destroyed with badly bent upper and lower forks and none of the body plastic is undamaged.

So, I got an '83 which I hope to be riding this summer.

What about my '82? Well, I'm going to strip all the plastic, get a new front end and turn it into a cruiser, instead of a tourer.

Now I will have 2 bikes, depending on my mood that day :mrgreen: You might consider doing the same.

Frank
Current 1983 GL1100I
Current 1982 GL1100I/1983 Apencade hybrid (all body pieces are from the '83 A'cade), first Wing
Former CM900
Former CB400
Former Suzuki Savage

zeusman100
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100, 1983 GL100A Aspencade

Post by zeusman100 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:40 am

Hi patbrandon1,

I'm relatively new to this site and I rarely post. I receive the newsletter which keeps me informed. If you choose to repair your motorcycle, I have all the parts of a 1980 Goldwing GL1100 minus the frame and I'm willing to give it all to you for free. I have no use for it at the moment and I'm not interested in putting it up on Craigslist. I have a Black 1983 Goldwing GL1100 and I was going to use some of those parts to restore my bike but I got another Grey 1983 Goldwing but this is an Aspencade so I'm making my Black GL a Naked Wing. The only issue would be how to get the parts to you. I live in Long Island, NY and I see that you live in Michigan. If you're interested, private message me and I pray for a speedy recovery for you!!

Zeus

dwarven1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by dwarven1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:09 am

patbrandon1 wrote:a motion camera that was attached is missing not anywhere to be found. The camera would have had to be removed by someone because of the way it was attached, and there were absolutely no traces of the camera, or the weatherproof case anywhere to be found.
Like Pixel288, my guess is that whoever hit you stole it to prevent it from being used against him or her.

I'm glad you weren't hurt worse, but I want to thank you for posting that picture of your facial injuries - I'd been seriously considering going back from a modular to an open-face helmet, and you have just validated my decision to get another modular. (I know that's scant comfort to you - you must be in a fair amount of pain - but do please know that your decision to post that WILL help some people make the same decision I made. Which, I'm sure, is why you posted it.)

As for the bike... Well, I'm a sentimentalist when I can indulge it. So if you've had that beast for a long time, I'd say put her back in service. Maybe turn her into a naked bike and pick up another faired one. It really depends on how attached you are to that bike.

Get well soon.

kengee
Motorcycle: 1977 ,,,1985 and 1993 honda goldwing

Post by kengee » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:11 am

I have been lucky in my riding career ,,i presently can not ride either of my wings ,,1993 aspencade and a 1985 aspencade due to a shoulder surgery ,,,but i have never been in a major crash in my now 57 years of riding ,, I have repaired and sold a half dozen of these old beauties and i would just repair that one with only plastics is not a big job at all ,,you know all about it ,,if you want to move up just a little the 1200 aspencade is as good a riding bike as there is ..I have rode the 1800 and of course it is a better bike but in the long ride you will be just as comphy as the 1800 rider.. I prefer the 1200 and 1500 ,,for the money they are great machines ,, HOPE YOU GET WELL SOON ,,TAKE CARE ..

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:26 am

I was waiting until I had more updated info about the missing camera and delayed police report to post a reply to all the great insights you all have been willing to share with me, however... there are no updates to that info.

But I would like to thank all of you that replied and spoke candidly about what they would do. Your insights have given me some good ideas. Last week I found a 1981 GL1100I on a Facebook sale site in a city about 45 miles from me. I went to check it out and took a test ride. It ran okay and I loved the ride probably more than I should have. The sad thing is that the picture of the bike on the sale post was NOTHING like what the bike actually looked like. I didn't think to take a photo of the bike when I got there. You wouldn't believe how different and stripped down it was. I asked the seller to send me a few photos so I could put it on a few sites for him, he said he would, and I wanted more recent photos so people had an idea what it really looked like. He has not as of yet sent me any, and I suspect he never will. If he does, I will post it here so you can see the difference. I am going to post a pic of what it was supposed to look like.

As far as the accident report, the State Police trooper called me to say that the UD-10 report is held up by some glitch in Lansing (Michigan's capital). It was a voicemail, so I couldn't ask about the camera. My brother-in-law is a U.S. Marshall and has taken an interest in finding out why there haven't been many answers, and is going to start to look into it when he gets back from an assignment outside of Michigan.

I am happy that my tattered face gave some of you the idea that a full face helmet might be the way to go. I have healed up pretty well, and after a visit with my family doctor yesterday, it seems that everything should be back to good working order in a few more weeks. My neck, right hand, and left shoulder are still barking at me when I use them, but no permanent damage is expected. I have a few new scars on my face, but I wasn't all that pretty to start with, and Annie still likes to look at me, so I'm blessed for that.

Thanks again for sending me your thoughts and well wishes, it really did help, and solidified the idea for me that this is one of the nicest sites on the internet, with quality, caring people.

This is the bike I looked at. The bike was so different, I couldn't even begin to list it all. One thing I'll mention was that all the chrome trim had been removed from the plastic, and would not come with the bike, and then it was painted matte black, and they didn't even bother to tape the latches, so they are all black as well. Is is just a guess, but I believe this photo is about ten years old.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:39 am

Glad to hear/read you survived.

As for the bike... 1/2 Bagger 1/2 Naked? Photo already looks like it. :D
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

Mmagill
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl1100' 83

Post by Mmagill » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:46 am

Sorry about the wreck. I have the same bike same year and color with about 8600 miles on it. No plastic on it. Very good running condition. If you want to buy it I can sell it to you. It is in Huntsville Al. $3500.
Marvin
256 652 6776

nome
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Standard
1983 GL1100 Interstate
1973 Triumph Bonneville
1996 GL 1500 Aspencade

Post by nome » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:09 am

Thank God you're ok and healing! I had an accident in 2001 where I was in an induced coma for three days, and like you, had the amazing prayers and support of a family and girlfriend. The last thing I remember was a car coming at me from behind at a high rate of speed as I was on an exit ramp. It was 11 p. m. and their brights were on. Besides being blinded and doing a double take in my mirrors, I left the ramp. Next thing was a State Trooper ordering me to breath harder into a tester. No, I wasn't drinking. This was before an ambulance arrived. Next time I came to, I was in an ambulance and then - boom - it's three days later. I did a LOT of research and found the troopers name when I finally got a report, but could never get an explanation as to why his time log and the time the accident was reported and the time the ambulance was dispatched didn't jive. I did learn, in talking to a lot of people, that the same trooper had used the same method to pull over people, usually on exit ramps or in construction zones, for swerving or going over the line.?

Sorry to ramble, but all of that is to say perhaps there's another reason your camera can't be found and you're not getting a report. I am NOT anti-police. I am anti-bad police.

I pray for your continued recovery and, like Zeus, I also have a 1983 GL 1100 Interstate that I'm thinking of selling. I also have 2 1100 parts bikes.

I did repair my 1100 but the bike landed on grass and didn't have near the damage yours did. I don't know where you'd locate all the body panels needed. Then again, this is an amazing site!

shadytranch
Motorcycle: 2002 1800 ABS

Post by shadytranch » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:25 am

Sorry for your accident but happy for your coming out as well as you did.

I previously drove the same bike before moving up to the 1800 Goldwing. I enjoyed the 1100 and often wish I still had it but don't have room for it.

Rebuilding sounds like the way to go. I have a contact for an existing and running 1100 if it would assist you.

David

victory2honda
Motorcycle: 2016 gl1800goldwing

Post by victory2honda » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:34 pm

Sorry to hear about your "bump in the road".
If you have had the 1100 for awhile and it's a "old friend" put it back together it doesn't look all that bad. Besides its good therapy.
Good luck!

jaxbb3
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Post by jaxbb3 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Pat, don't know you but VERY happy to see that, even with the injuries, you are still on the right side of the grass.

As for the question of "Should I fix this one or get a newer one", my answer is YES;).

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:53 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:I was waiting until I had more updated info about the missing camera and delayed police report to post a reply to all the great insights you all have been willing to share with me, however... there are no updates to that info.

But I would like to thank all of you that replied and spoke candidly about what they would do. Your insights have given me some good ideas. Last week I found a 1981 GL1100I on a Facebook sale site in a city about 45 miles from me. I went to check it out and took a test ride. It ran okay and I loved the ride probably more than I should have. The sad thing is that the picture of the bike on the sale post was NOTHING like what the bike actually looked like. I didn't think to take a photo of the bike when I got there. You wouldn't believe how different and stripped down it was. I asked the seller to send me a few photos so I could put it on a few sites for him, he said he would, and I wanted more recent photos so people had an idea what it really looked like. He has not as of yet sent me any, and I suspect he never will. If he does, I will post it here so you can see the difference. I am going to post a pic of what it was supposed to look like.

As far as the accident report, the State Police trooper called me to say that the UD-10 report is held up by some glitch in Lansing (Michigan's capital). It was a voicemail, so I couldn't ask about the camera. My brother-in-law is a U.S. Marshall and has taken an interest in finding out why there haven't been many answers, and is going to start to look into it when he gets back from an assignment outside of Michigan.

I am happy that my tattered face gave some of you the idea that a full face helmet might be the way to go. I have healed up pretty well, and after a visit with my family doctor yesterday, it seems that everything should be back to good working order in a few more weeks. My neck, right hand, and left shoulder are still barking at me when I use them, but no permanent damage is expected. I have a few new scars on my face, but I wasn't all that pretty to start with, and Annie still likes to look at me, so I'm blessed for that.

Thanks again for sending me your thoughts and well wishes, it really did help, and solidified the idea for me that this is one of the nicest sites on the internet, with quality, caring people.

This is the bike I looked at. The bike was so different, I couldn't even begin to list it all. One thing I'll mention was that all the chrome trim had been removed from the plastic, and would not come with the bike, and then it was painted matte black, and they didn't even bother to tape the latches, so they are all black as well. Is is just a guess, but I believe this photo is about ten years old.
Goldwing For Sale.jpg
I know this one is a long way from you but holy cow does it look good. It was just posted today.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37748#p228596
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Post by MiWinger51 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:30 pm

Pat, sorry to hear that you were in a wreck. You are extremely lucky to not be hurt seriously. As for your bike, whether to repair or replace is a decision you have to make. I am just down the road from you and I have a beautiful 87 Aspencade that I am selling. The bike is listed on the for sale forum. It has less than 10,000 miles and is all original. It runs great and looks like new. If you would like to see it, let me know.
Al

Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al