Need help with the abc's of touring

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
flw
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Need help with the abc's of touring

Postby flw » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:27 am

I have never taken a long trip/adventure and need advice from those that have been there, thats you guys...

My fellow rider has not committed to either a long weekend or 10 day adventure. So my questions are more generic at this point. I'll followup with a more specific posts, once I know the length and destinations.

Areas of questions/concerns:

1. Check any towing service or breakdown services I may or maynot already have. Your thoughts?

2. Have my mechanic checkout the bike but be sure to have him check xxxxx, xxxx and xxxxx. New tires/brakes, change final drive fluid, oil/filter and lube drive shaft are to be done. Plugs, battery and air filter changed if not done in less than a year. Same for cruise filter with check for any coolant leaks and hose condition.
So what was missed?

3. Verify insurance is covering what you think it does like being out of state or country and does it cover as much as you think it does in dollars. Anything here?

4. Med Scripts and over the counter meds for greater than your trip length. Check your Emerg med kit for any supplies needed. Thoughts here? What should be in the kit?

5. Extra clothes a for longer trip than planned and colder or wetter riding. Anything here?

6. Emergency Shelter (tent/sleeping bag/food/water/possible gasoline) and planned shelter. From Hotel reservations to planned couches with verified dates/times with others before you leave for the trip. With emergency shelter what options are available if you know no one and have no golden riders book?

7. Ways to deal with money on the road. Limited cash, credit/debit cards, travelers checks. Your thoughts and any other idea's?

8. What area have been missed or understated? Please fill in with as much detail as you have.

I did this at 2:20 am since I couldn't sleep with it on my mind. Please excuse me if my sleep is showing in my wording.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: Need help with the abc's of touring

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:11 pm

I would use some good powder for your butt, some guys wear bicycle shorts under their jeans to protect their rear end, I'm telling you from years of riding long distances, that having a chapped butt or between your legs will ruin your fun, most guys don't worry about it until it's too late.. That's my favorite riding, long distance..Be sure you have a palm buster too, after a few hours your fingers will go numb, lot's of guys have cruise contol items for this...That really helps, a numb hand sucks and it's usually the right hand..Drink a lot of fluids...check your weather report ahead of time, you don't want to ride into a tornado or heal..Stop and visit with small town folks, most love that, you'd be surprised how they love to talk to strangers riding old goldwings . Most guys just ride on by..I like stopping in the old type stores, there is always something neat in there..Watch out for cows in the road..it hurts when you run into them.. Best of all get you a good pair of ear plugs, the wind sound will make your hearing bad. You will see the difference once you use them, especially when wearing a helmet... and I'm sure you are, if your not then I think your a fool..

emt613
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby emt613 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:47 pm

I will only address item number 4 on the list. A good BASIC first aid kit is a must. Some 4x4's, bandaids, one inch plastic or cloth tape, etc. Another great item to have would be some STING-EZE, for the bee that gets in under your helmet, or down your shirt. Sunscreen is a must have and like LITTLEBEAVER says, drink lots of water, especially if you will be up at higher altitudes. Dehydration can play havoc with your well being and can come on very quickly. Enjoy the ride!!!!!!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:20 am

Be sure to call your credit card company and let them know your plans. They will put your cards on hold for any out of the ordinary charges. Carry enough cash to get you home. Not fun to be 1000 miles from home and not enough cash to buy gas. On a Sunday and the 4th of July had our cards put on hold.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

snowy.vtwin
Motorcycle: '85 GL1200A
'95 Shadow ACE 1100

Postby snowy.vtwin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:58 am

As nervous as you seem to be I'd recommend a couple of simple overnight runs to warm up to the adventures.

Let someone know your plans and check in with them on schedule.

BRIANINMAINE
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 standard with Honda fairing, Vetter bags and trunk

Postby BRIANINMAINE » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Last year I joined this site: http://glhelpers.com
Goldwing riders from around the world have volunteered to help in various ways should you need.
I believe you might need to be a member of http://www.goldwingfacts.com ?

Britanicus
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 GoldWing

Postby Britanicus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:29 am

I have an issue with cruise controls. Unless they are built into the bike avoid them. They are not really cruise control they are throttle locks. If you have to stop in a hurry you could find that the throttle lock is interfering. I suggest that you try a palm rest instead. Ride with it on short trips to get used to it and where you want it positioned so it is comfortable at your cruising speed. They take a bit of time to egt used to but are much much safer imo then a throttle lock.

I also like to sit on a sheepskin for longer rides. Keeps the arse dry and reduces chaffing etc.

Always have a plan and keep someone aware of the plan and how well your proceeding.

Every city has a good will or a sally anne store so I pack light and pick up something cheap if needed enroute.

A small jerry can comes in handy when traversing large expanses between petro points. I never fill it and leave it tho. I only fill it when it is anticiapted that it may come in necessary. When I am back in a more built up area I fill my tank from it and leave it open and empty so I am not sitting on a bomb :)

My first drill sergeant ( rip) had a great saying:

Prior planning prevents piss poor preformance. A great motto to live by and expecially bike by.

This one is also good: failing to plan is the same as planning to fail.

Have a great ride.

BRIANINMAINE
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 standard with Honda fairing, Vetter bags and trunk

Postby BRIANINMAINE » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am

I use a palm rest AND a throttle lock. The throttle lock only when I need to take my right hand off for a minute, the palm rest for all the time. Helps to stay relaxed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:58 am

Britanicus wrote:A small jerry can comes in handy when traversing large expanses between petro points. I never fill it and leave it tho. I only fill it when it is anticiapted that it may come in necessary. When I am back in a more built up area I fill my tank from it and leave it open and empty so I am not sitting on a bomb :)

An empty jerrycan full of gasoline fumes is FAR more explosive and dangerous than a full can of gasoline. That said, a full can can rupture and spray gasoline everywhere in a crash, so...it's which risk you want to take, really. :)

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:45 pm

For throttle locks take a look at http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/ They are a little pricey but they do release as soon as you touch the front break. Something you should always do if you need to do a panic stop anyway. They don't list the Goldwing as option but I got the one that fits the Kuryaking iso grips. I also put the throttle bosses on the grips too so I can rest my palms to control the throttle most of the time and use the throttle lock for those times I want to shake out the numbness or flip a switch. The one thing about the breakaway is you do need to keep it adjusted during routine maintenance to make sure everything is in alignment. It is a little touchy to set right but once you got it it works well.

Another thing that I recommend for cruising is to join the Goldwing Road Riders Association www.gwrra.org. For your membership fee you get roadside assistance, a membership book that lists people willing to help you out in case of an emergency all over the US and the world. Plus you get a great magazine devoted to your brand of motorcycle. There are other benefits but these are the ones that would help you in your quest for touring. You may or may not want to take advantage of some of the other benefits but that is up to you.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”