A tail of two dealers

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade SEI 1200

A tail of two dealers

Post by Mountain rider » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:17 am

It's not uncommon to find differences between dealers. Brands, inventory, parts, and service all come into play to determine which is the right one to deal with. Attitude can make a difference as well. This is the case with a couple local dealers I dealt with over the last few days.

Dealer 1, I'll call them "A", when I called seeking a set of standard foot pegs for the Aspy, quickly replied, "That bikes 31 years old, those are no longer available". When I ask about a rebuild kit for the clutch slave, instantly the reply was "they don't make a kit, you'll have to buy each part individually".

Dealer 2, I'll call them "R", was very well stocked and the young lady up front greeted me and ask how they could help. I was directed to the parts counter where I inquired about standard foot pegs, expecting to hear the same thing as before. The gentleman replied they were available, although he would have to order them, and the cost would be $81 for the pair. When I ask about the clutch slave rebuild kit, he again replied he would have to order it, but a kit was available, and at a far lower price than stated by dealer "A".

Although dealer "A" is more convenient, being only three blocks from my workplace, and dealer "R" is about 25 miles in the opposite direction, I think dealer "R" will be getting my business. How do your local shops compare?

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade SEI 1200

Re: A tale of two dealers

Post by Mountain rider » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:22 am

It's been one of those days, the title should read "A tale of two dealers". Don't hate me! ;)

MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Re: A tail of two dealers

Post by MiWinger51 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:44 am

It is all about service and attitude for me. If a dealer shows that he values me as a customer and tries to always be helpful, he will generally win my business even if his cost is slightly more.
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:46 am

A lot of the service you get depends on the experience level of the parts person. I had a younger fellow who was very knowledgeable and would try various sites/routes to get a part for you. He has since moved on and the replacement(s) are not as good. Another shop has limited resources available to their staff, sign of the times.

As Mountain rider mentions, you are your own best parts guy, and unfortunately, parts finding falls to us. I feel that dealers do themselves a disservice by falling back on the age issue.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE - sold :-(
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Post by cbx4evr » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:03 am

I've had similar experiences too. I was looking to get a trunk rack for my 1500. Went to a dealer with Show Chrome part number. Young kid looked at it and said it wasn't available. Went to another dealer and they ordered it no problem. I then bought a tire and had them install it too.
It's surprising just how many parts are still available for old bikes from Honda. Most times it's best to go in with the part number so it saves the guy looking it up. Seems some of the parts guys don't want to look up anything unless it's for a crotch rocket.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by urbanmadness » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:58 am

I do not like my local dealer. I will not buy anything from them, if I can help it. All because I took my '82 in for a front tire, and they wouldn't change it due to the bikes age. I told them that I could understand that *if* I'd asked them to something more major, but it's just a front tire change. If I buy parts from them, it's usually because the temperature in hell is a little lower that day. I will never buy a bike from them.... If I want a new Honda, I will go somewhere else.

Guess who will work on it... and actually act interested and actually enthusiastic about working on the '82.... The Local BMW dealer. Yup, That's right, they would rebuild the bike, if I asked them to. The mechanics and service manager act like they love working on it. You can't buy that.... and guess what? They are actually pretty cheap. Soooooo, if I ever look at a new bike, guess where I'm going first! If I'm ever in the market for a new bike (read, I win the lotto), I will take the BMW's for a test ride. I love Goldwing's but I really feel that those folks at A and S BMW have more then earned consideration. They just treat me (and my buddies) very well.

We are putting tires on my buddies Honda PC800 this weekend. He is driving it from Sacramento, to Roseville to get it done at A and S. He didn't even bother to call anyone else.

So guess who works on my '89? Yup, you guess it.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:15 am

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:46 am
A lot of the service you get depends on the experience level of the parts person...
I needed the rear caliper bolt for my Wing and the parts guy said they didn't have it in stock but could order it and have it the next day. I asked him what size it was and he told me the only info he had was the part number... 10x3. He'd be better off flipping burgers.
But my favorite was the parts guy at Auto Zone. I went in for spark plugs and he spins the computer around and starts asking me "Year - make, and model?" When he couldn't find "GL1500" on the list, I told him it was a motorcycle. His response... "We don't carry motorcycle parts!" I then gave him the plug number and told him I needed six. He asked me if I was sure it had six cylinders. I said, "Just get the plugs Skippy, I got things to do."
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:45 am

The only Honda dealer reasonably close(35 miles), to me, is absolutely horrendous. The only bikes on the floor are some crotch rockets, a low mileage gl1800 and if you want anything else, they'll order you a bike w/ 30% down. Test rides? Surely, you jest! If you want a snowmobile or a jetski, though, they are stacked up like cord wood. Pick your color. Apparently, they don't stock any parts for motorcycles either, because everything is 50% down and they have to order it.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Post by themainviking » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:41 pm

I swore by my local Honda dealership, cause they were really good to deal with and went out of their way to help and to keep the costs down.

Fast Forward..... The local KIA dealership bought the Honda Motorcycle Dealership last year (mid 2016) and it has gone straight to hell. My next available dealership is over a hundred miles away, but that is where I now must go. All the old staff from our local one are gone, and the people now there know nothing about motorcycles. They are now a bike salesship with no service.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey