My Sweetheart, Sat on My New Sweetheart

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

My Sweetheart, Sat on My New Sweetheart

Post by Sadanorakman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:25 am

My Sweetheart, Sat on My New Sweetheart. I hope they don't get jealous of one another!

Good morning all. I've just become the proud owner of a Mint 1991 SE with 33,000 genuine miles, and am very happy to join your community.

The only catch is that I live in England, and the bike is currently located in the Canary Islands! As desperate as I am to bring her over and get riding, the (vaguely) sensible half of my head has decided to let her over-winter there, whilst I build a dedicated bike store ready to bring her over around Easter-time. This will be my first big bike (I guess BIG being the truly operative word here), and she looks a beauty!

I've now spent many hours pouring through this excellent web site, and particularly anything that lets me more properly understand the mechanics/electrics of this bike. As soon as I get her over here, I will be replacing oil and filter, final drive oil, brake and clutch fluids, coolant, and all three air filters ready for fine-weather riding. I'll check other things too of course such as steering head bearings and brake pads/calipers etc... The cam belts were done several years ago, along with new tires, and the bike has only covered literally several hundred miles since then.

If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: My Sweetheart, Sat on My New Sweetheart

Post by themainviking » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:41 am

Welcome to GoldwingDocs and congrats on your brand new to you GL1500. It is indeed a large bike. When you get it home, or even while you are getting it home if you ride it there, find an empty parking lot and try some maneuvers to get used to it. Especially get used to the clutch and throttle, and where they work best together.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Post by Sadanorakman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:09 am

Thank you for your words of wisdom @themainviking. I'm really looking forward to spending time practicing slow maneuvering, with techniques such as shifting my weight across the bike, and slipping the clutch and/or dragging the rear brake for fine speed/balance control.

When I was offered the bike, I was indeed concerned that I wouldn't be tall enough to sit it adequately, and to be honest just intimidated by the sheer size and weight. I jumped in my car and drove 240 miles round trip up to the UK Treffan, just so I could spend half an hour chatting with some wing owners and ask if I could throw a leg over one of their bikes to size it up. I stumbled across a 1991 SE just like the one I have bought, and was just amazed how good it felt once I'd climbed on... it seemed such a naturally ergonomic fit, and the weight felt much lower than I thought it would!

As much as I'd love to ride it back to England through Spain and France, I didn't think it wise to attempt such a ride without some experience on her first, so I'm having it couriered over.
If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Post by Mag » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:40 am

You are so addicted.....wait.....you are SO ADDICTED now, lol. Congrats on the new ride. I have to say, with the 1500 it will be easier than the others due to the weight placement, and yes you do have to get used to its footprint (it is a large bike). Ever since I moved from vTwins to touring rigs, I never left the big bike style, definitely worth it once you get used to it.

Definitely build a nice place for the bike to sit, it will be worth it.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Post by brettchallenger » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:40 am

The thing which caught me out as a new Goldwing rider was the sheer bulk and weight of the thing. Not so much when riding, it is easy to handle, goes round corners very well, helped by its very low centre of gravity. But I did struggle once or twice manouevring around using my feet as the motive power. Be especially careful if you are doing this on loose gravel, your feet can easily lose their grip and there is a definite point of no return when leaning the machine at a standstill. So it is worthwhile, even if you are on level ground, using the reverse gear option.
Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:10 am

brettchallenger wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:40 am
The thing which caught me out as a new Goldwing rider was the sheer bulk and weight of the thing. Not so much when riding, it is easy to handle, goes round corners very well, helped by its very low centre of gravity. But I did struggle once or twice manouevring around using my feet as the motive power. Be especially careful if you are doing this on loose gravel, your feet can easily lose their grip and there is a definite point of no return when leaning the machine at a standstill. So it is worthwhile, even if you are on level ground, using the reverse gear option.
Yes, on gravel I will use my feet entirely for keeping the bike upright, and use reverse and gently first-gear clutch-slipping motive force to move the bike forward and back.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE (20th Anniversary) and Squire RX4 sidecar

Post by Sidcar » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:49 pm

Congrats on your new acquisition. I hope your first sweetheart doesn't get jealous of your second.
I like the optomistic "ready for fine weather riding". If it's fine weather you want I'd leave it where it is. :D

Sid