2018 GOLDWING SPECIFICATIONS

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
someone548
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: 2018 GOLDWING SPECIFICATIONS

Post by someone548 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:17 am

oldwing1100 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:00 am
What a bunch of whiny old men that don't want to keep up with technology
I have ridden Goldwings since the first generation and each subsequent generation has been better than the previous one.
No one here has ridden the 2018 and yet many have preconceived notions of what they don't don't like about it.
Keep in mind all you old f@rts, you are not the target demographic for the 2018 wing it's the post millennial yuppy is what they are targeting, the ones with money, not just pension cheques.
If you want 50,000 litres of storage space buy a minivan. A real biker only needs a change of underwear and a credit card to travel.

Let the flaming begin.....
I like the technology. Not an old fart or a whiny old man. I'm a 25 year old millennial. I want more storage space. Just thought I would mention.

GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Pull-behind trailer (my design)
1978 CB400T (Hawk II)
2017 Zero DS

Post by GoldWingRev » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:41 am

someone548 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:13 pm
Such a disappointment. The lack of storage space kills this thing for me. The new Yamaha Venture and even the Harley Road Glide Ultra boast more storage space.

I'm genuinely not sure who will buy it.

I certainly hope their plan wasn't to try to capture the younger generation. I'm 25 and if I wanted a new touring bike, I'd be hard pressed to turn down the new Venture. Honestly, I'd have a Harley before the new Goldwing. Honestly though, I'll just be keeping my Gl1500 for the foreseeable future. If I want a sport touring bike, I'll buy one. However, I don't want a sport touring bike. I want a Goldwing and they don't sell those anymore.

Just my two pennies.
Also in my twenties here. I got into a “little” altercation with a heavy equipment vehicle when riding my 1500 in June, and the Star Venture is the one I was looking at replacing it with because the newer Wings don’t excite me (including the 2001-2017 1800s), whereas the Venture did at first glance. I know exactly what you mean, sir.
"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by dtrider » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:11 am

For the most part I like the looks and the improvements that I've read about. The reduced fuel capacity doesn't concern me too much if the fuel economy really is 22% better. That will more than make up for the reduced capacity. Even a 10% improvement in fuel economy would make up for it. Besides, I'm more than ready to get off the bike every couple hundred miles anyway so I don't really see a loss there.

However the biggest negative that I do see is the reduced storage capacity. I might get away with being able to tour by myself with just what I can stick in the saddle bags, but once you throw my wife into the mix having overall less storage is not a good thing.

Having said that, I wonder if the removable trunk kit opens up the possibility of an after-market larger trunk? Maybe some engineering genius can design and build a trunk that will using the current trunk's mounting system without compromising the weight distribution of the bike too much. It would have been nice if Honda had offered a larger trunk as an option when the bike is ordered.

Overall I think I like the new bike, but I don't see me rushing out to replace my 2012 right away.

/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:16 am

oldwing1100 wrote:
I have ridden Goldwings since the first generation and each subsequent generation has been better than the previous one.
No one here has ridden the 2018 and yet many have preconceived notions of what they don't don't like about it.
Keep in mind all you old farts, you are not the target demographic for the 2018 wing it's the post millennial yuppy is what they are targeting, the ones with money, not just pension cheques.
If you want 50,000 litres of storage space buy a minivan. A real biker only needs a change of underwear and a credit card to travel.

Exactly!!
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:55 am

dtrider wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:11 am
Having said that, I wonder if the removable trunk kit opens up the possibility of an after-market larger trunk? Maybe some engineering genius can design and build a trunk that will using the current trunk's mounting system without compromising the weight distribution of the bike too much. It would have been nice if Honda had offered a larger trunk as an option when the bike is ordered.

/dwight
I made the same point here, including saddlebags: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=40481&start=25#p244356

Either that or a Honda option.

ZAN
Motorcycle: 1998 Valkyrie, 1988 Softail Heritage, 1985 V65 Sabre

Post by ZAN » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:26 pm

I do love the look and the tech, my only disapointments are the lowered storage capacity and I wont be able to use my Android phone.
I will have to wait to see about comfort and riding position til I have ridden one.
Other concerns would be if it can accept a tow hitch and highway pegs.
I need highway pegs, on my long trips. I need to stretch out to get comfortable.
With the lowered storage, a trailer will be a must. I know some of you are "just grab my tooth brush and I'm ready", I camp out and need stuff.
I understand that the DCT's second clutch is in the next gear, ready to go, but is it automatic or do you use the little lever on the bars to shift?
I see lots of people excited about the DCT and if it's just a fancy automatic, I'm not sure why. :?
I know Honda had an automatic back in the day and the only person I knew of having one, was a girl. :lol:
I love to shift through the gears. Shifting is a major part of being a biker, at least to me. :)
I feel the Need...The need for Speed

WingVetteGSXR
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800, 2006 Suzuki GSX-R600

Post by WingVetteGSXR » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:55 pm

oldwing1100 wrote:
Keep in mind all you old f@rts, you are not the target demographic for the 2018 wing it's the post millennial yuppy is what they are targeting, the ones with money, not just pension cheques.

OK, here you go. :-)

My problems with the bike have nothing to do with the technology. It all looks fantastic. The riding modes, traction, suspension, electronics suite, etc. I was using computers while you were playing with leggos. It's all good.

And I agree with you. Having owned three store-bought Wings, up to now each one has been a great improvement. This one too in many ways no doubt, but some severely bad decisions in others. Show stoppers.

I haven't seen many if any complaints with the new technology. The problem is the multi-week trips my wife and I take. A change of underwear and a credit card? Really? We hold "doctorates" in packing and even on my '03 we struggle. If you really tour, you should consider stuff you'll need when something happens in the Yukon, the NW territories, or the desert SW for example, let alone Mexico, or even ID and MT. Fuel xfer hose, jumper cables, tools, compressor, assorted fuses, duct tape, tire repair kit, and medical kit, all weather clothes and an electric vest for the wife. That's a full existing 1800 saddlebag, barely. I've been on trips where the temperature ranged from 28 deg to 85 deg in one day. That leaves one saddle bag for me, and the trunk for my wife. Take 40 or so odd liters off that? You might as well take away the trunk. Trunk rack yes, but I already use one so that's a zero sum game.

Fuel tank? Mixed bag. OK, if the 22% increase in mpg is real, then fair enough taking away a gallon of gas I suppose, but come on, to make the bike look slimmer and drop 7 pounds?

And speaking of weight, I propose here's how they got the real weight reduction: 8 pounds off of the most disappointing engine "upgrade" I've ever heard of. No real tipover bars. The above mentioned fuel reduction, and the bags. Subjective guess? 60% of it at least.

I don't care how proud the engineers are about 20mm, two more valves and 8 pounds. OK, I sit farther forward 3/4", fair enough, but the other repositioning is due to the greatly improved front suspension, not this "why did they even bother" engine. I also recently owned a Kawi Concours (and I track a gsxr6), despite my social security birthdate, so I know what this engine should have been capable of.

As far as going after the younger crowd. I agree with you. But how much money does the average post-millineal have? How much time does the average one have for real touring? Will their wives really be happy with an extra set of panties and a credit card? Only time will tell. Good luck mother Honda, but this just doesn't work for me. I'm not happy with this situation as I've been looking forward to this day for many years. How sad.

WingVetteGSXR

Post by WingVetteGSXR » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:19 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:55 am
dtrider wrote:

/dwight
I made the same point here, including saddlebags: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=40481&start=25#p244356

Now that's a great idea. These aren't dumb people, they took a gamble and it may or not pay off. I won't pay off for me in it's current configuration. There's nothing they can do with this horribly disappointing engine, (and from the video anyway a far less important but obnoxious exhaust note). But maybe a bigger trunk, bigger bag lids, and maybe even a bigger tank (maybe) should be doable by Mother Honda themselves, not just aftermarket folks. An extra gallon in already miniature bags. No go. 2019?
Last edited by WingVetteGSXR on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WingVetteGSXR

Post by WingVetteGSXR » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:26 pm

ZAN wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:26 pm
I do love the look and the tech, my only disapointments are the lowered storage capacity and I wont be able to use my Android phone.
I will have to wait to see about comfort and riding position til I have ridden one.
Other concerns would be if it can accept a tow hitch and highway pegs.
I need highway pegs, on my long trips. I need to stretch out to get comfortable.
With the lowered storage, a trailer will be a must. I know some of you are "just grab my tooth brush and I'm ready", I camp out and need stuff.
I understand that the DCT's second clutch is in the next gear, ready to go, but is it automatic or do you use the little lever on the bars to shift?
I see lots of people excited about the DCT and if it's just a fancy automatic, I'm not sure why. :?
I know Honda had an automatic back in the day and the only person I knew of having one, was a girl. :lol:
I love to shift through the gears. Shifting is a major part of being a biker, at least to me. :)
Nice post. A few observations. I agree wholeheartedly with the storage issue, but Honda can't plan for campers, too small a demographic. I'm sure the aftermarket folks will figure out hitch and peg issues. Much more worrisome to me personally is the lack of tipover bars. Will those guards I see in the picture allow for damage free and "pickupable" oopsie parking lot positions like my '03? I used to pull a trailer, but quit as the maneuvering for parking, mpg reduction and braking performance proved to me more of a negative than a positive. Yes, the DCT allows full auto mode or electric gear switching, either one.

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by dtrider » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:49 pm

WingAdmin wrote:

Yeah, I saw that after I did my post. Nice to know that I have the same thought processes as the WA. :lol:
/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

thboyd29
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A (which I bought new)
2001 GL1800A (ditto)

Post by thboyd29 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:35 pm

oldwing1100 wrote:
Okey-doke...
oldwing1100 wrote:
Hey, I resemble that remark. Just remember that it was our generation who programmed VCRs for *our* elders back in the day. It's our turn now!
oldwing1100 wrote:
A real biker only needs a change of underwear and a credit card to travel.
1. Back in *our* day, we didn't *have* credit cards!
2. All the laundromats I've ever been in have been cash-only.
3. But then again, who needs a change of underwear? Isn't that why G-d made Walmart?
I like pie.

thboyd29
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A (which I bought new)
2001 GL1800A (ditto)

Post by thboyd29 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:59 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
dtrider wrote:

/dwight

I sometimes wonder if Honda sometimes do stuff like this deliberately, in order to keep a healthy aftermarket (including, maybe, their own) going...
Case in point 1 - Trailer hitch. Honda's never offered one, to my knowledge. Hasn't stopped a bunch of different people from making them.
Case in point 2 - small trunk, but the ability to remove it. Hello, Givi?
Case in point 3 - I've seen some initial complaint from the early testers about a possibly less comfortable passenger seat. I also see a Honda custom seat available, which I don't remember ever seeing before. That's probably a reflection of the healthy custom seat business that's been out there, like, forever.
Case in point 4 - No Android Auto. Honda says it's not their fault, Google apparently wasn't interested.

Depending on how the bike sells, there could be opportunities for folks with the right skill sets.
I like pie.

Easy rider
Motorcycle: GL 1800 / 2013

Post by Easy rider » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:08 am

dtrider wrote:

Overall I think I like the new bike, but I don't see me rushing out to replace my 2012 right away.

/dwight
Seems my 2013 will stay with me for a long time as well...

ZAN
Motorcycle: 1998 Valkyrie, 1988 Softail Heritage, 1985 V65 Sabre

Post by ZAN » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:30 pm

WingVetteGSXR wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:26 pm
but Honda can't plan for campers, too small a demographic.
That's the dumbest thing I've heard. You obviously don't tour but the Goldwing is a touring bike, that's why Honda calls it a Goldwing TOUR!
I'll tell you what a small demographic is; People who don't understand the need for storage on a touring bike.
I feel the Need...The need for Speed

wadat1@yahoo.com
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing 2010 GL1800 Luxury

Post by wadat1@yahoo.com » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:30 am

Easy rider wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:08 am
dtrider wrote:

/dwight
Seems my 2013 will stay with me for a long time as well...
Same here. My 2010 will remain my bikeof choice.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500A Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)

Post by DenverWinger » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:55 am

I just got my '93 this year with 44k on the clock, now 51k. I love her, I'm in no hurry to replace her. Depending on availability of maintenance parts in years to come, she'll likely outlast me! (almost 60 yrs old)
They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll:

MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Post by MiWinger51 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:42 am

DenverWinger wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:55 am
I just got my '93 this year with 44k on the clock, now 51k. I love her, I'm in no hurry to replace her. Depending on availability of maintenance parts in years to come, she'll likely outlast me! (almost 60 yrs old)
I'm with you on this DenverWinger. I bought a 2006 last year with only 2300 miles on it. It has 8500 now. As much as I like all the bells and whistles on the 2018 Wing, mine is going to serve me well for many years yet and, most importantly, it's paid for. I'm almost 67 and still enjoy running thru the gears. When I tire of that, I'll see about one with a dct.
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:20 am

I personally like the new GW. Have heard comments on this and other threads about Bluetooth technology, it's now here. GPS updates for 10 years - good idea. Have heard about the weight of the GW being an issue, Honda has answered this - dropped 90 odd pounds - had to come from somewhere, storage space was not sacrosanct, besides Motel 6 for $60.00 a night, sometimes less (depending on area) is a good deal - and it generally has a washer/dryer. Storage will always be an issue, and even with a lot as has been mentioned - we still add more gear.

Svelte look, had to do something to modernize. The engine and it's improved fuel economy is a red herring for me. Ride sensibly at 95 to 100 KPH (approx 60 MPH) and you will do better than at higher speeds, and where you live will also determine fuel economy. Pulling a trailer, probably won't happen until the warranty period is finished. How does it do in the rain? My 2008 is quite good as long as you are moving, as is my 1200 (not as good as the 1800). Have read about the need for a 6th gear, now it's here. Riding position is going to be an issue for a larger person as it is on the present 1800 - need to get the seat modified to suit or the aftermarket world is going to be alive and well. Engine/saddlebag guards - bikes do go down - aftermarket like other manufacturers? Nice dash, very modern - should have done sooner.

Sitting at a local eating establishment and looking around. Lots of us older folks with our electronics going. Come to these places for free WiFi, sometimes even to chat. Not a lot of places without WiFi. Know of one and they have a sign to that effect, and that you will have to talk to whomever you are with.

Lots of compromises and changes that address most of the issues that have been identified over the years. If I were looking for a new touring bike, it would be at the top of my list. Until then I will live with my '85 LTD that I thoroughly enjoy riding and touring on, and my 1800 as my second just in case bike.

As has been mentioned in a round about way, it's not about us, it's about the future and those that are coming behind us - they may find the new GW to be quite normal, and even lacking in the necessary requirements.

Vicious circle all round. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Eboness
Motorcycle: 2013 GL1800 Airbag Red of course.

Post by Eboness » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:59 am

Eboness wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:08 am
At first glance I really like the look, a ST1300 on steriods with a trunk or without. I like most of the improvements and it should be a blast in the twisties. I'm sure it will take some getting used to with less storage, more importantly with two up. Speaking of two up, I'm sorry to say our co-riders might not be coming with us as often. Will I buy one, not yet, but here's hoping Honda's plans come together. If it's the younger crowd Honda is going after, here's hoping they have the disposable income needed to buy one, because here in Canada the 2018 Gold Wing Touring DCT w/airbag will be over $40K with taxes. I don't know many 20-30 year olds who have that kind of money to throw at this Techno Wing. For now I'll hang onto my 2013 Gold Wing Level IV for a few years. Besides I just bought all the bling I want to make it mine, and here is the most important part, my co-rider has lots of room in our cargo trailer for a case of wine and all her clothes and shoes. Happy wife, happy life.

Ride safe everyone.

P.S. They better design a Transformers style cargo trailer to tow behind because anything else will look stupid. I guess any trailer will look stupid.
Well I've discovered a link that has Canadian prices, and I was alittle off. The Gold Wing Tour with DCT and Airbag will be $34,599. Now with 12% Fenderal & Provincial taxes that brings it up to
$38,751, however lets not forget $895 Freight & PDI + documentation $195 So are grand total is........Drum role please.....$39,840. Ok call me a lier for $160.00 me bad.
Former 3PPCLI Canadian Armed Forces Member 1975-1982

Sidecarjohn
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL1500 SE

Post by Sidecarjohn » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:48 pm

More criticisms than praise for the latest edition of the Wing. Subjectively, all valid up to a point, but the sense of the negatives is that some folk had preconceived ideas of what was required to justify a purchase. So, what should/could the Big H have done ?
Personally, and since our 1100 back in 1980, reckoned the Wing to be an ideal ...... wait for it...... sidecar bike because IT IS ! So, in one foul swoop, solved the luggage issue, plus it doesn't fall over. Equally, for many at the older end of enthusiasts and beyond if you wish, no more handling the bulk and mass.
However, if a "bit on the side" isn't your bag, perhaps we should ask Honda to hold off with the 2018 incarnation release, and consult the "experts", who have spotted certain engineering flaws.

WingVetteGSXR

Post by WingVetteGSXR » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:55 pm

If the new generation finds the Wing normal and buys it, then kudos for Honda and I'll eat my hat. I'm as capitalist as they come. However, if GenX is really touring, then even they will have trouble with the storage. If storage isn't sacrosanct on a touring bike, then what is? If nothing is sacrosanct on a touring bike, then what defines a touring bike? Honda says the average rider goes on three day trips. Can't argue without their data in front of me, but I wonder about the real story. Do they really mean their target demographic only averages three day trips. Don't know. Now I'm really starting to wonder if their surveys are showing a target demographic that won't be riding two-up as much as us. Hmmmm........

As far as the younger crowd, will they be excited about 124HP on an 830lb bike? Would really like to see 0-60 "comparos" with my '03. And before you ask me why do I care about that.... In this day and age there's no reason why we can't power and storage.

Cheers!
Rednaxs60 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:20 am
I personally like the new GW. Have heard comments on this and other threads about Bluetooth technology, it's now here. GPS updates for 10 years - good idea. Have heard about the weight of the GW being an issue, Honda has answered this - dropped 90 odd pounds - had to come from somewhere, storage space was not sacrosanct, besides Motel 6 for $60.00 a night, sometimes less (depending on area) is a good deal - and it generally has a washer/dryer. Storage will always be an issue, and even with a lot as has been mentioned - we still add more gear.

Svelte look, had to do something to modernize. The engine and it's improved fuel economy is a red herring for me. Ride sensibly at 95 to 100 KPH (approx 60 MPH) and you will do better than at higher speeds, and where you live will also determine fuel economy. Pulling a trailer, probably won't happen until the warranty period is finished. How does it do in the rain? My 2008 is quite good as long as you are moving, as is my 1200 (not as good as the 1800). Have read about the need for a 6th gear, now it's here. Riding position is going to be an issue for a larger person as it is on the present 1800 - need to get the seat modified to suit or the aftermarket world is going to be alive and well. Engine/saddlebag guards - bikes do go down - aftermarket like other manufacturers? Nice dash, very modern - should have done sooner.

Sitting at a local eating establishment and looking around. Lots of us older folks with our electronics going. Come to these places for free WiFi, sometimes even to chat. Not a lot of places without WiFi. Know of one and they have a sign to that effect, and that you will have to talk to whomever you are with.

Lots of compromises and changes that address most of the issues that have been identified over the years. If I were looking for a new touring bike, it would be at the top of my list. Until then I will live with my '85 LTD that I thoroughly enjoy riding and touring on, and my 1800 as my second just in case bike.

As has been mentioned in a round about way, it's not about us, it's about the future and those that are coming behind us - they may find the new GW to be quite normal, and even lacking in the necessary requirements.

Vicious circle all round. Cheers

eklimek
Motorcycle: 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, 2017 cb500x

Post by eklimek » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:33 pm

The 2018 looks like a lot of bike. For comfort it looks super for more luggage maybe you should buy a Toyota or Lexus and have them meet you there?

Its also a lot of money. How much better than the competition will it be? Or is Mother Honda positioning it as an aspirational or umbrella model?

In the GW the talk of horsepower is nice but 844 lb needs a torque motor and low smooth rpms. A drag race Is won by power to weight. The physics of corner carving this whale means this will require smoothness and a great +++ suspension. It is just my impression but a few of the GW riders can lean into it, but most don't ride like that. That is not what the buyer is demanding. Expecting it might just lead to disappointment.

Mother Honda has researched and seems to be trying to have a younger wealthy market reach and find the GW exciting. We may assume it successful when a younger crowd starts to take pictures of themselves with the GW.

As for cost, well for $10,000 you can go into most any motorcycle shop and buy a new machine that will be "adequate" for transcontinental travel. How much more does the next $10,000 buy? What about the second $10,000? But, I confess, I come from a time when anything over 500 cc was unfathomably powerful and police rode Harleys.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

WingVetteGSXR

Post by WingVetteGSXR » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:33 pm

Regarding a Toyota, this is a motorcycle forum, and Honda just dropped 40 liters off of a touring bike that already had dropped off about 40 liters from the 1500. I saw a picture of the right saddlebag, good for a pair of gloves I guess. Rant on! :-)

As far as power to weight, I wholeheartedly agree. But that could have improved, and without, to me anyway, the unacceptable sacrifices of this weight reduction. 1. Cargo, 2. Pass comfort (unless you want to drop another G note), 3. Engine output, 4. Fuel capacity. Ya, I know, better aero, efficient engine, and weight eliminates the need for a gallon of gas. Using 76,000 miles of my '03's mileage figures, and assuming every bit of Honda's mpg increase is true, I come up with a range increase of 4 miles. In reality, it's probably down 10 miles of range or so but that's purely guesswork.

Thrilling acceleration is important to me at Soc Sec age, maybe not to other existing Wingers, but it's not going to be important to a Gen Xr? I fail to see how a stronger engine would have to sacrifice top gear RPMs, in fact they should be lower, but probably balanced out by a proportional increase in fuel consumption... maybe. As far as torque goes, what was the increase? A couple pounds on top of a 16 year old engine, and from the chart none of that in the upper midrange where I spend most of time in the twisties. Under 4,500 and she ain't happy.

You have a good point about smoothness in the corners, but I think intelligent use of throttle is most important, that'll be hugely improved with the DCT option. This new suspension looks fantastic so I guess that will make the biggest handling improvements, not the engine.

Anyway, I guess I dejectedly could live with the engine, but the storage, that'll have to wait for aftermarket solutions. My wife and I routinely take 1-3 week trips. I've pulled a trailer and it's just not for me. Different strokes and all that.

Cheers!
eklimek wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:33 pm
The 2018 looks like a lot of bike. For comfort it looks super for more luggage maybe you should buy a Toyota or Lexus and have them meet you there?

Its also a lot of money. How much better than the competition will it be? Or is Mother Honda positioning it as an aspirational or umbrella model?

In the GW the talk of horsepower is nice but 844 lb needs a torque motor and low smooth rpms. A drag race Is won by power to weight. The physics of corner carving this whale means this will require smoothness and a great +++ suspension. It is just my impression but a few of the GW riders can lean into it, but most don't ride like that. That is not what the buyer is demanding. Expecting it might just lead to disappointment.

Mother Honda has researched and seems to be trying to have a younger wealthy market reach and find the GW exciting. We may assume it successful when a younger crowd starts to take pictures of themselves with the GW.

As for cost, well for $10,000 you can go into most any motorcycle shop and buy a new machine that will be "adequate" for transcontinental travel. How much more does the next $10,000 buy? What about the second $10,000? But, I confess, I come from a time when anything over 500 cc was unfathomably powerful and police rode Harleys.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

WingVetteGSXR

Post by WingVetteGSXR » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:07 pm

ZAN wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:30 pm
WingVetteGSXR wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:26 pm
but Honda can't plan for campers, too small a demographic.
That's the dumbest thing I've heard. You obviously don't tour but the Goldwing is a touring bike, that's why Honda calls it a Goldwing TOUR!
I'll tell you what a small demographic is; People who don't understand the need for storage on a touring bike.
Are you kidding? Have you read my posts? I've been doing nothing but ranting about the storage. The point I'm trying to make is that increasing it by enough to accommodate camping wouldn't be cost effective. I don't tour? Over 300,000 miles. North America including AK. South America, New Zealand and Europe.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 111,980 miles

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:55 pm

I'm going to wait until February and then go look at the Real Deal...

John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com