All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
IdahoHacker
Motorcycle: 2015 Road Glide Special

Re: All you need to know about the new 2018 Goldwing

Post by IdahoHacker » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:05 pm

Holy cow, I thought I killed the thread! :mrgreen:

That is an excellent video! Thanks for posting!

Here's another excellent video:

And another:

IdahoHacker

Post by IdahoHacker » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:47 pm

A little "fluff" piece, but very nicely done. Turn up the sound, and go full screen. Two fingers of scotch is optional.

Jambriwal
Motorcycle: 2014 gl Valkyrie 1800 c

Post by Jambriwal » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:38 pm

Engine shut off feature 2 to 3 seconds. Good way to crash/ drop a bike if there is any hesitation on restart. This is a useless feature for a rider. Only reason to do this is slightly lower emission's / fuel mileage readings to satisfy EPA or other country requirements.
Just because you can engineer some features doesn't mean you should.

IdahoHacker

Post by IdahoHacker » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Jambriwal wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:38 pm
Engine shut off feature 2 to 3 seconds. Good way to crash/ drop a bike if there is any hesitation on restart. This is a useless feature for a rider. Only reason to do this is slightly lower emission's / fuel mileage readings to satisfy EPA or other country requirements.
Just because you can engineer some features doesn't mean you should.
I'm pretty sure that "auto shut-off" feature, and then the restart when you twist the throttle, is Canada only.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Auto shut-off is good for inner & near inner city riding, stoplights tend to be long and TOO frequent.

That system is a balance between saving fuel verses mechanical wear-n-tear costs.
Now since the Alt & Starter are in one, it's WILL BE COSTLY to repair. :twisted:

To me it's easier and cheaper to maintain my choice of shut-down at known long waits.
my $0.00002
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

thunderwing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by thunderwing » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:56 pm

Wouldn't it be nice to have such thoughtful and deep pocketed spouses!!!

It's a couple phone thing....

Kinda shows how they feel about who they are marketing this bike to.....Gen X and younger as their target.
Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry
1987 Yamaha Radian
1983 Gl1100 interstate
1983 GL650 Silverwing
Trucker/ Videographer
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/115373397

IdahoHacker

Post by IdahoHacker » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:38 pm

Yes, it is marketed to younger riders. And by younger I mean younger than 50, and can afford it.

I'm turning 69 next month, and I'm on my fifth Harley. I'm a touring rider, 40k in the last two years. And, make no mistake, it will be my last Harley. Look at my avatar, and you'll see that the '18 Wing won't be my first Honda, though. ;)

This thread has been very interesting, as has been the many threads on my Harley forums regarding the new Softail cruiser line, and the death of the Dyna line. Over 60% of existing Harley riders hate the Softails. And, on the several Honda websites/blogs I've been on, roughly 99% of existing Wing riders hate the new Wing, primarily because it's no longer huge enough to have big enough luggage capacity. And, on separate note, the vast majority of existing Yamaha riders like the new TC.

The comments are surprisingly similar: "My '99/'02/'07/'13 Harley/Honda is the best bike I've ever owned, and I'll never buy another." Then, why should Harley/Honda be building a bike for you?

Yamaha is building a touring bike that, by and large, existing Yamaha touring bike owners find very exiting. Harley is building a new line that both existing owners and potential new owners don't like. (Regarding younger buyers, Harley is, of course, crippled by the leather vested Hells Angels wannabe badass aura.)

Honda is building a touring bike that potential new owners will love.

Harley will lose, Yamaha will win, and Honda will win big.

I gotta tell ya, I'm more exited about the new Wing than I've ever been about another new bike in a long time.

A long, long, time. I can't wait.

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Post by raven41951 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:30 am

OK, its time for me to chime in. I have been reading the "99%" panning the new wing. I bought my 2016 wing a year ago now because I figured: how can they make it better? add Bluetooth? I read all the conjecture about the new front end, suspension etc. and went ahead with my purchase.

Now that I have had time to absorb as much information as I can remember (which gets less and less each year) and watched all the videos, I have decided that I am a 1 percenter. I love this new bike and I am planning to trade my 16 in on the new Airbag model if I can get a good enough deal. It seems to fit my riding style to a T.

BTW Idaho, my first bought by me ride was a '66 305 Super Hawk. Loved that bike.

IdahoHacker

Post by IdahoHacker » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:04 am

raven41951 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:30 am
...BTW Idaho, my first bought by me ride was a '66 305 Super Hawk. Loved that bike.
Yeah, we've all got more than a few "I wish I still had it" regrets! :mrgreen: (Along with that 28" waist.)

My major struggle at the moment is red or blue. Leaning toward the red. My local dealer is a BMW/Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer, but he told me he hasn't had a Wing on the floor in over 5 years. Up here in the Idaho panhandle is a major outdoors hunting and fishing area, so the ATV market is huge, and 75% of the bikes on Craigslist are dirt bikes. Only Harley sells touring bikes up here. But, the Honda dealer said he's already ordered a Goldwing Tour, 7 sp DCT, in red. Ooohhh...

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Post by Wingsconsin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:04 pm

If money was no object for me...
I would have a BLUE one on order ASAP

Unfortunately -- money is an issue... and I will have to stick to my old Orange '02 for the foreseeable future.

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/