Goldwing 1200 Ltd timing belt and timing belt tentioner

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

Goldwing 1200 Ltd timing belt and timing belt tentioner

Postby fastf » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Hello Wingers, Well i have had this LTD one month the stator went south for the winter before the geese after owning it only a week got a new stator comming. Been cleaning and replacing parts as I go ordered new timing belts from NAPA came in today got my new radiator hoses and clamps. Some of you repalcing hoses never I mean never use the clamps that came with the bike or on a car the are crap and will put you down if you go back with them. I pulled the radiator off and painted it then went to the timing cover pulled it off to look at the timing belts well when I saw them they looked like bran new I mean like new no cracks the lettering was still on them tention on both belts were good but on the left timing tentioner I wiggled it it had some endplay just a little the right tentioner was tight. When I pulled the covers on the back there was black something slung on them I feel that the left tentioner the bearing seal since it is a sealed bearing is about to go south too. I'm gussing to replace the belts or not if they look this good tell me what you think these belts look perfect.Have a blessed Day from the fastone

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Goldwing 1200 Ltd timing belt and timing belt tentioner

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:23 pm

If you have new belts in hand,why not put them on?Preventive maintenance is always cheaper than repairs caused by catastrophic failure.

fastf

Postby fastf » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:50 pm

Yes I lnow but someone has done it not to long ago because the side case for the timing cover is marked for the timing pullies. But you are also right perventive maintance is also good got to replace that timing belt tentioner I don't want to get to confortable with it I bidding on a set on ebay right now.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:54 am

Timing belts don't stretch (they're designed not to stretch) and as a result, they don't crack or even look worn, even when they are (internally). You can't tell the state of your belts by looking at them. If you are pulling the tensioners off anyway, and you weren't the one to replace the belts last time, then really - just replace the belts! Then you'll know for sure when they were last done.

fastf

Postby fastf » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:11 pm

I most likely gonna do that waiting on the timing belt tentioners I sure I have got them. I got onw question for the fellow wingers the maks on the cam case for the timing belt pullies on the 1200 LTD to see the timing mark on the flywheel you have to pull a cover off to see it I cannot see how can you tell its top dead center you cannot see it its under a buch of stuff. Is there anyone that can give me a idea how in the heck you are suppose to see this mark.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”