Opinions on stock vs. BT intercoms

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Squatchmo
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Opinions on stock vs. BT intercoms

Post by Squatchmo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:08 pm

My wife and I used the stock setup for our Valkyrie and it worked fine... but I'm not even sure if the system works on the Aspy. Plus, it costs so dang much to get all the cords and headsets, it's ridiculous. Besides, the CB is messed up (I turn it on and all it does is scan until I push the PTT button). So....

I've been looking at the Bluetooth intercoms online and it looks like that might be a better and less expensive alternative. Also, no phone cords to get wrapped up in (don't ask me how I know). Thoughts? Anyone use the Bluetooth alternative?

darryldevaney
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: Opinions on stock vs. BT intercoms

Post by darryldevaney » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:37 am

I'm in kind of the opposite position. I've never used the stock intercom but do use a bluetooth setup (Sena SMH10). I like not having cords to deal with, personally. My 1500 doesn't have the CB, which I probably never would have used anyway, so I get all I need with the bluetooth.
"I just wanna ride..."

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:51 pm

I'm getting ready to set up my new radio BT and some headphones. Interested in how this goes.

Squatchmo
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by Squatchmo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Well I went ahead and ordered a pair of Midland BTX 2 FM units and got them set up last night. I haven't road tested them yet, but we talked to each other wearing our helmets, from the couch to the recliner, and they worked well :D I like the FM option because that means I can mount my XM satellite radio on the bike and listen to it that way. It was $127 for both sets, and they each came with a boom mic and a mic for full-face helmets. The radio even cuts out when we talk, so that's cool. They can also be paired with up to 2 or 3 other riders for bike-to-bike communication, even if they own different brands. They charge up in 6 hours via usb cord, and have several hours of talk time. I'll update once we road test them.