after market stereo's

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

after market stereo's

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:54 pm

I read about guys installing after market stereos, I was wanting to install one but would like to know some of the different combo's that guys are using, what name brands, I don't know about how much the electrial system can handle in watts per channel ect., how many speakers is too much or is there a limit on size?..I'm worried about my charging system.. What should I not do or add....I read about the sony mounted in the pocket, really a great idea . Thanks for any help..

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: after market stereo's

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:23 pm

While at very high volumes, high-end stereos can consume quite a bit of power, I suspect you won't have to worry about the capabilities of the electrical system of handling the load - unless you're looking at adding massive subwoofers, anyway. :)

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:06 pm

I just found a used panasonic car stereo with a cassette for $20 down at a radio place in Mo. now I will get my speakers [new] and a special antenna[new] to go into the faring and I should be good, it's only 35w so I think it won't hurt anything... I'm planing on mounting some rear speakers into the box..I wanted a cassette because I don't like cds, they always screw up..I'm old school just like the bike..I will make a special box to fit above the gauages for the stereo and speakers being I don't have the stock boxes..Or I might place it where the stock stereo goes.. I don't want it in my left pocket on the faring though because I like putting stuff in there.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:15 am

I was going to put in one of those hidden antennas until I saw the price, I mounted a antenna from auto zone for 11 bucks and had to get some extra wire to reach the front so total was about 15 bucks, I mounted the antenna right on the top of the rear box toward the right back side [had to drill out a 1" hole with a holesaw], actually looks good there..I'm having to make a special box to hold the stereo receiver because I want it in front of me, I'm making little speaker [5"] boxes out of 1/2" finish plywood, then I'll wrap it with the black imitation leather, It's slowly coming together.. The whole front face of this panasonic receiver comes off with a push of a button for security, I didn't know that until I got home and started looking at it closely, No manual for it, there where buttons on it that confused me, I had no idea what they were for, so I got online and found a panasonic site that actually had the manual for that model and i was able to read all of the instructions for this unit, how cool was that..so for about 60 bucks I got a pretty good car stereo for my bike.. 20 for the stereo 24 for the two new speakers [ el cheapo walmart specials 3-way 100 watt] and 15 for the antenna, I had the rest of the material.. A guy could probably install one for less than I did, especially if he or she went to a junk yard for everything.. I could even get a remote for this receiver..I figured everything like this the bike is used and 30 years old almost, and the stereo is 11 years old so they will go hand and hand..I will carry some plastic bags and rubberbans if it ever decides to rain on me...I think this little stereo needed a home, I plan on making good use of it..I got it for my radio needs for riding around town mostly or cruising on secondary roads... [a week later] I have almost finished my stereo project, for now I just have two speakers in the front and I'm currently working on mounting two more on the rear box..I gotta say, my stereo box and speakers look and sound pretty darn good, actually way better than I thought it would so I'm a happy camper, I can only imagine with two more speakers, Wow...so add 24 for bucks for those..I am going to post a few photo's once I get it finished..

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:17 pm

Here are some photo's of my stereo project.. I mounted the rear box on top of the rack because I have never used the rack for anything...It works perfectly because the handle on the top was removed and the holes were perfect for the speaker wires to go through, also it sounds perfect there.. I am very pleased with the used Panasaonic and my el cheapo speakers..
Attachments

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:04 pm

Way cool, Lil' Beaver...WAAAAAY cool!!!

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks, I was a Carpenter for a few years so it wasn't too hard because I have all the tools.. I worked downtown Chicago, Local 1 back in 87 to 92 there's a 60 story highrise (AT&T) me and some guys built.. I was the guy up there giving everyone the Palen wave :lol:

maestro319

Postby maestro319 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:56 pm

In an earlier post you also said you had lived in Rolling Meadows. My son-in-law is from there and his parents still live there. Yeah, I'm going to keep riding the trike 'till the snow flies. Getting cold here though. Last night down to 25 degrees. In Kentucky for the weekend so I may have lost the last fairly nice weekend to ride.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:24 pm

I lived in Kentucky too, Radcliff by Fort Knox, there's some beautiful riding in Kentucky also in southern Il and Ohio by the rivers. I am just about sick of shoveling snow though, Kansas City gets it's share of snow too, but not like Chicago, or up around any of the great lakes..they get that lake effect snow..I'm from San Antonio and we just didn't get the winter's down there that northern folks get..A different type of cold though..I call it a wet cold.. the city shuts down for a few inches of snow, it's funny to me now but when I was younger I had no idea what winter was..I think the worst part of winter or cold weather is having to wait for warmer weather to ride my cycle.. I'm going to invent a heater for the bike watch me..Blowers and all right in your face.. :o

maestro319

Postby maestro319 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Geez Lil' Beaver, I am in Radcliff right now visiting my daughter and her family (son-in-law away for traning) I love the countryside. looks like great riding. Wish i had my trike here. Weather is great, trees and leaves are in the middle of turning, upper 50's to mid 60's, beautiful!!

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:16 am

Growing up I ate hotdogs in SA and it was no big deal, but fellows of America and abroad there's nothing like a good Chicago Hot Dog, they are the best, Italian beef sandwiches are the best, I have never been to New York City or Philli. to try their's so I'm not getting too loud about this, but we loved them in Chicago, I need to turn my stereo volume down a bit when riding I think , I notice I'm turning peoples heads when riding down there street.. Hey Maestro is Portello's still around..?? [hot dog place].. I rode my 750 Kawasaki to Sa. from Chicago back then coming back I rode 24 hours straight..I was younger and had more energy...I remember my chain being stretched to it's limit even after adjusting it and I literally skipped into Chicago..It was fun...

maestro319

Postby maestro319 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:43 pm

Yep...still around, bigger than ever, and still GOOD!!!

melloed
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 interstate

Postby melloed » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:40 pm

littlebeaver wrote:I read about guys installing after market stereos, I was wanting to install one but would like to know some of the different combo's that guys are using, what name brands, I don't know about how much the electrial system can handle in watts per channel ect., how many speakers is too much or is there a limit on size?..I'm worried about my charging system.. What should I not do or add....I read about the sony mounted in the pocket, really a great idea . Thanks for any help..

Good job Martin from Dave

melloed
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 interstate

Postby melloed » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:49 pm

Good job Martin Dave

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:09 pm

I just bought a JMDM GL18B, which is a plug and play digital unit about the size of a deck of playing cards, which plugs directly into the factory CD plug under the seat, and sits in the CD slot in the bottom of the tour pack. At under a hundred bucks it seemed like an okay deal to me. It uses SD cards and came with a 4GB, which will hold about 58 hours of MP3 tunes. It also will take a USB jumpstick, and these are available up to about 64 Gigs now, I think, for cheap. It has an auxilary input which takes an RCA plug and so can accept an Ipod or any other Ipodlike MP3 player. It apparently is totally controllable from the handlebar controls. It isn't anywhere as neat as beavers setup, but will probably get my tunes mobile. I cannot yet tell anyone how it works, but will soon.

Update: Upon investigation, this unit will take SD cards to 8 GB and USB sticks to 16 GB, which would give almost 120 hours of music on the cards or 240 hours on a stick.
Last edited by themainviking on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:19 pm

Are you kidding me, that setup sounds like its a killer stereo man, I have a poormans set up plain and simple. I could use the Aux. output it has for my mp3 player though..The thing you have sounds really high tech, I'm way behind the times when it comes to
Gigs and triggs and mega Bites and stuff like that, I would love to see your set up, show us please. :lol:

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:18 pm

It isn't special. It is readily available. I paid a hundred bucks for this one.

ImageImage

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:16 pm

That's really cool there man..Really cool..Thanks..

nsjoe
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Postby nsjoe » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:17 am

what you have there viking is state of the art, plug and play.
Joe
Darksider #493

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:27 am

nsjoe wrote:what you have there viking is state of the art, plug and play.

You would almost think you had something like that yourself! :)

I've seen that little J&M kit at Cyclemax, it really looks like a nice system.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:21 pm

Well, I have it installed, loaded the music, put it into service, and it played absolutely beautifully - till I changed CDs to CD2 and then CD3 etc up to CD8. Each time I changed after going to CD2, it played the same tune it started on from CD2. Then it refused to change at all, and then it refused to play at all. Seems like I corrupted the SD card, so I am in the process of reformatting and reloading it to see if it will straighten itself out. I have another 4GD SD card that I took out of my camera to use just in case. So far, I am not really pleased, and so far lilbeavers system has it hands down over this one. State of the art just means that it is more difficult to troubleshoot, lol.

HERE IS THE UPDATE: I seem to have an old stereo in this 2009 Goldwing, which does not surprise me, as Canada does seem to be where Honda dumps all their left over accessories on their new bikes. This unit should manage nine folders, each with 99 tunes, to fill a 4GB SD card, but only in 2006 to present bikes. On 2005 and previous bikes the vendor of the CD replacement states that a maximum of six folders each containing no more than 45 tunes is what will work. This is the root directory and five additional folders. Loaded like this, the unit works like a charm, and is a beautiful piece of high tech equipment. It took a long time to figure it all out, as it came to me with what appears to be a defective SD card, and I had to use one of the ones from my camera. If it continues to operate in the manner it is now, I will be totally happy with it. I will load up three or four 2GB SD cards and be good for just about any trip I wish to take. Each card holds about 25 hours of music and the cards are the size of postage stamps. Rock On - Rock On.

ImageImage

nsjoe

Postby nsjoe » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:06 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
nsjoe wrote:what you have there viking is state of the art, plug and play.

You would almost think you had something like that yourself! :)

I've seen that little J&M kit at Cyclemax, it really looks like a nice system.

Funny you should mention that.....my CD changer died while we were on our way to New York. I have the same system now.
Last edited by nsjoe on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
Darksider #493

nsjoe

Postby nsjoe » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:15 pm

themainviking wrote:Well, I have it installed, loaded the music, put it into service, and it played absolutely beautifully - till I changed CDs to CD2 and then CD3 etc up to CD8. Each time I changed after going to CD2, it played the same tune it started on from CD2. Then it refused to change at all, and then it refused to play at all. Seems like I corrupted the SD card, so I am in the process of reformatting and reloading it to see if it will straighten itself out. I have another 4GD SD card that I took out of my camera to use just in case. So far, I am not really pleased, and so far lilbeavers system has it hands down over this one. State of the art just means that it is more difficult to troubleshoot, lol.

HERE IS THE UPDATE: I seem to have an old stereo in this 2009 Goldwing, which does not surprise me, as Canada does seem to be where Honda dumps all their left over accessories on their new bikes. This unit should manage nine folders, each with 99 tunes, to fill a 4GB SD card, but only in 2006 to present bikes. On 2005 and previous bikes the vendor of the CD replacement states that a maximum of six folders each containing no more than 45 tunes is what will work. This is the root directory and five additional folders. Loaded like this, the unit works like a charm, and is a beautiful piece of high tech equipment. It took a long time to figure it all out, as it came to me with what appears to be a defective SD card, and I had to use one of the ones from my camera. If it continues to operate in the manner it is now, I will be totally happy with it. I will load up three or four 2GB SD cards and be good for just about any trip I wish to take. Each card holds about 25 hours of music and the cards are the size of postage stamps. Rock On - Rock On.

I had the same thing happen to my SD card. I used one of my own cards and it worked perfectly. I requested a replacement from the vendor (Wingstuff) and they sent me one. The second one was the same....corrupt files. I contacted J&M and sent both cards back. They tested them and said they were good. They replaced them anyway. One of the new ones is doing the same thing with corrupt files. You can try contacting J&M about the card. I had a bunch of conversations with the president of the company, John Lazzeroni. Very nice guy. Their service tech called me while he was working on the cards. They couldn't reproduce my problem, but at least they tried. They did tell me that they weren't aware of any problems with the cards.
Joe
Darksider #493

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:06 am

John Lazzeronni also offered to replace my card, but I just ordered three 2GB cards from Tiger Direct for $7 each. It is not worth the hassle and the postage to send this card back to J&M. It is a cheap, substandard card, anyway, and what they would replace it with would be the same. The one I got working was a Transcend 4GB, and since it was only half used in my system, I have now replaced it with a 2GB, same make. This stereo is awesome. The Honda factory CD unit will probably actually give the song titles probably, whereas this one will not, but this is small, light, and totally solid state, with no moving parts. It should work well and last a long time.

ImageImage

nsjoe

Postby nsjoe » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:28 am

themainviking wrote:John Lazzeronni also offered to replace my card, but I just ordered three 2GB cards from Tiger Direct for $7 each. It is not worth the hassle and the postage to send this card back to J&M. It is a cheap, substandard card, anyway, and what they would replace it with would be the same. The one I got working was a Transcend 4GB, and since it was only half used in my system, I have now replaced it with a 2GB, same make. This stereo is awesome. The Honda factory CD unit will probably actually give the song titles probably, whereas this one will not, but this is small, light, and totally solid state, with no moving parts. It should work well and last a long time.

I agree. I hate to think that J&M is using crap cards, but I can't think of another reason that my Kingston card works perfectly and only one out of a total of 4 J&M cards worked. I have 2 cards set up now, one in the player and one sitting idle in case the first one dies.

Joe
Darksider #493

Return to “Goldwing Chat”