Hosting your Pictures

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 111,980 miles

Hosting your Pictures

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:25 pm

most of you already know that Photobucket is now charging a minimum of $1.35/day paid annually to allow you to see, or link to your own pictures.

we paid the price in the beginning when we gave them "Ownership of that picture" the instant that it is uploaded , it does not belong to you any more.

We typically take a picture and upload it somewhere w/o renaming the picture on our computer before we uploaded it to a host "somewhere". so now, we have 100s of threads in our forums that are full of a huge glaring Photobuck image stating you can’t have that....

so, how long would it take for you to go through every thread you posted on for the last ten years, and try to find that one picture that you forgot to rename.

oh, here it is, it is named

2006-11-15 Sony 12345555888

real definitive huh?

I have 3 separate 1 tb hard drives of backup files, that "maybe" have a picture that I need, but they are all just randomly scattered around the on the drive, not in special folders named for a project, just a bulk folder that is creatively named "Pictures" or "Camera" as mine is.

So, it is advisable from now on that we all store our pictures at home, in a manner that we can find them again.

and on the forums, Puhleaze upload them to an Album that you have created on that forum with a name relative to the photo project. this way you can find it again w/o trying to find that one post, in a long ago forgotten thread.

by always storing the forum photos on the forum, they will always be there as long as that forum lives.

Even if all you do is upload the picture to that individual post as an Attachment, that is immensely better than depending on an outside of the forum picture host....

I will never again, use a webhost for pictures, burned once their fault, burned twice, my fault.

John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Hosting your Pictures

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:57 pm

I agree, using services like Photobucket...which may be free today, but might not tomorrow...or could disappear tomorrow! is not a great way of putting pictures on forum sites.

That's why this forum actually downloads and caches linked images locally. When a photo is embedded in a posting, the forum pulls that image and caches it on the site locally. That way, if the photo hosting site goes down, the original image is deleted, or whatever - the image remains in the original posting.

It's just as easy to upload an image into your posting and do it that way, but it's good to know that you have the option.

Incidentally, I have over 30,000 digital photos on my hard drive from over 25 years of photography. I use Amazon Prime Photos as a sorting/identification tool. It allows you unlimited storage of photos, it is included for free with Amazon Prime, and it has AI systems that examine the pictures and identify what's in them, when they were taken, where they were taken, etc. And with 30,000 pictures, you need this kind of thing, especially when you are less than conscientious with naming them accurately. You can select "dog" "motorcycle" and "tree" and you will be shown all pictures with a dog, a motorcycle and a tree in them. It is remarkably accurate, and can identify individual people in the photos as well. It doesn't know who they are, but it will create groups, and say "this person appears in all of the pictures in this group."

Stew
2005 CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2004 Polaris Sportsman 90
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:01 pm

I, like a lot of people, was impacted by the Photobucket fiasco. I guess I didn't do that much posting on various forums though, I was able to go around to probably 98% of posts I'd made and update the links. I won't be caught in a situation like that again, I now host my own pictures from a Windows 10 Pro desktop running IIS right here in my house using a domain name I already have. Now my storage limit for online hosted pictures is only limited by the size of the hard drive, and is essentially free - hooray!

Ya know I probably would've paid Photobucket if it would've been something more reasonable, but to go from free to $400/year was too much for me.
Winging it every chance I get

Stew
2005 CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2004 Polaris Sportsman 90
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:03 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:57 pm
That's why this forum actually downloads and caches linked images locally. When a photo is embedded in a posting, the forum pulls that image and caches it on the site locally. That way, if the photo hosting site goes down, the original image is deleted, or whatever - the image remains in the original posting.
I thought that is what was going on, I made a slight revision to a picture in a post I made but when I went to the thread and refreshed the page the picture did not update.
Winging it every chance I get

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Okay,

Ken Bergen gave me a Hot Tip.

At least for Photobucket Users for certain types of browsers.

for Firefox, go to this link.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... x/?src=api

now I need to run really fast and cancel my Delete Order, they gave me 72 hours to think about that.

then delete everything that I really really don't want to loose forever.
John

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:29 am

This is the reason that nothing of mine is exclusively stored on the "cloud". Not a smart thing to do.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500A Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)

Post by DenverWinger » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:59 am

Considering the current price of high capacity hard disk drives, I keep nothing in the cloud. All my "good stuff" is constantly available on my home LAN, and is periodically backed up on more high capacity disk drives stored in the detached garage.
They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:06 pm

All of my computers back up constantly over the network to my backup server, which is just a PC with a box of drives. It itself backs up constantly to the cloud to BackBlaze, which allows unlimited backups - I have terabytes stored there.

That way my house could burn down, but I would still not lose everything.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Post by themainviking » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:18 am

Thanks for this info. I have deleted everything I had on Photobucket, although I am not sure it actually deletes. It told me it was gone. I have nothing left there that I can "see" and I have now deleted my account with them, although it will probably live forever. I will not be able to access it without the passwords and username. I should forget them in a week or so, LMFAO.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:21 pm

going to investigate 'BackBlaze', I have always refused to store things "in the cloud" because with a max upload bandwidth of 500 mbps, it is a hopeless task. and would totally stop my surfing enjoyment.

it has taken a few days, sort of like when my wife passed away, the pain was severe at the time, but later, the loss of those pictures isn't so much anymore.

back many decades ago, our entire family collection of photos was lost.....
I don't have any photos of my kids growing up, only the memories in my mind.

the one memory in my mind that I have never, ever forgotten is this one.

I had a 1965 Plymouth Satellite, 2 dr hardtop.
Those doors are long and heavy.

I had made a milk run a half mile down to the convenience store and back to home.
at that time, we lived in the middle of a 95 square mile ranch, roads are narrow, and cattle guards everywhere.

I had taken my very young son with me, still in diapers, no shirt.
He was sitting in the right hand seat so I could put my hands on him.

Right as you approach my house, the road comes to a 90 degree left turn, and has a cattle guard just a few feet short of that 90 degree turn.

as the car turns to the left, my son's body leans right, and he grabs the door handle for support.
That handle is the type that goes straight up, and pulls back to open.

Yep, he grabbed that handle, the door opened, and he is 'out there" two feet away from the car, 6 feet further than I can reach from the driver's seat. I will never forget that sick feeling in my stomach.

Clutched the transmission, killed the engine, light touch on brakes until I could hit the emergency brake, let go of every thing, leaned over that big heavy center console and grabbed my son before he turned loose of the handle.... and he did NOT want to let go.... even at 18 months, he had an iron grip.

John