After market seats or saddle

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
hebert3007
Motorcycle: 2010 gl1800 3,821 miles new CSC trike

Re: After market seats or saddle

Post by hebert3007 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:45 pm

pwjohnson041 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:23 pm
I started with the OEM and like most quickly knew it wasn't going to work. I tried a Corbin but couldn't make it to the supposed 400-500 miles it took for it to finally get comfortable. (This was the same experience I had with another Corbin seat for another bike previously owned.)

I tried a Wingsoft and it was ok, but not what I needed.

I then went with the Ultimate Midrider and it was almost what I wanted. It was great on the bike for up to about 6 hours, but then the discomfort came back for the rest of the day's ride. I also didn't like the Ultimate backrest at all. I ended up selling the Ultimate to a friend. He and his wife have been in love with it ever since no matter the distance.

Leaving the Ultimate I finally decided to make the jump to the Russell Day Long (RDL) and I found what I had been searching for during all of the previous purchases. From it's very first use, a multi-state ride covering four very long days of riding, the RDL was perfect. Since then I've put in nearly 20,000 miles on the RDL and have yet to be disappointed. I wish I had sucked it up (the perceived cost) and gone with this one first. It would have saved me nearly $1400 in total purchases (overall total spent minus the final cost of the RDL). Also, since my bike did not come with the heated option, buying the heated version gave me that option. Again, money well spent. My wife used the heated option recently and it made all the difference for her on what turned out to be a very cold day.

I guess my bottom line is the RDL was where I ended up after a long journey through other good, but incomplete (for me) options.
Thanks for your reply I'm leaning in that directions Bernie

hebert3007

Post by hebert3007 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:07 pm

captdecker wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:31 pm
I would pass on the Saddleman's seat too. I ordered one from Chrome World (they were great) for my GL1500. Took forever to get, Chrome World even called then to see what was the hold up. Saddleman was waiting for the material to sew the armrest. ( should of sent seat then followed up with the armrest.) When the seat came in it DID NOT have the heat as ordered so more time to get.

I ordered one wit a cloth cover hoping it would be a bit better in the AZ sun to sit on. I knew that it would not last as long, was expecting to get 6-8 years got 2.5 way to short. Other note the seat to passenger back rest peace on OE that is sewn on there's is uses a lock fasteners setup. Lost it three times, first time someone told me it had dropped off and was able to get back. After cloth went to peace's had the set recovered ( again took forever to get, the person that did that work was on vac.) I ordered a replacement for the now missing peace ((to there credit they did replace it free) though it fell off to.) The replacement one, no cloth and last a whole 5 years before showing heavy were from sun.

So hope you that have there seats have gotten better luck than I did.
Thank for reply good to here the pros and cons saddleman is one seat fits all this one going back berner

hebert3007

Post by hebert3007 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:05 am

offcenter wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:30 am
It's been said that the stock GW seat fits almost no one.
Well, I must be the lucky one here. I find the stock seat
on my '99 1500 to be perfect for me. I often ride long days
with my bike club and I never get off that bike hurting.
Recently did five hours straight through from Boston back
to NJ, no problem.
Sometimes ya just get lucky.
Offcenter no comparison be tween The 1500 and gl1800 I had 2000 gl SE could ride all day the 1800 is junk thanks for reply Bernie

silverbullet05
Motorcycle: 2002 gl 1800 1986 PC 800 2006 & 2012 650 Burgman's

Post by silverbullet05 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:39 pm

As far as aftermarket seats, Over the years, I've had 2 Diamonds that were junk, A Hartco that was hard as a rock, A Seth Laam seat that I really liked! And 2 Russell Day long seats that I loved. Problem is I can no longer justify the price. They have priced themselves out of my market.

For me I've found that a Utpoia backrest & an airhawk I can get the all day comfort of the above at a fraction of cost.

hebert3007

Post by hebert3007 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:13 am

silverbullet05 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:39 pm
As far as aftermarket seats, Over the years, I've had 2 Diamonds that were junk, A Hartco that was hard as a rock, A Seth Laam seat that I really liked! And 2 Russell Day long seats that I loved. Problem is I can no longer justify the price. They have priced themselves out of my market.

For me I've found that a Utpoia backrest & an airhawk I can get the all day comfort of the above at a fraction of cost.
Thank for your reply I have both just not getting it,Bernie

gwhizz
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing

Post by gwhizz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 am

I had a Diamond (Hartco) seat on my 2002 Goldwing and traveled a lot with it. Good seat had some draw backs such as clothe, always worried about rain, it finally broke in around 4000 miles. Sold the bike and bought a 2010 wing that came with an Ultimate king seat. If the seat didn't come with the bike I would not want one. To narrow in the nose to support the thighs causing pain on the upper thighs. The lack of support there adds pressure to buttocks causing pain there. I will be selling the Ultimate seat and either trying the Russell Day long
or going back to a Hartco seat.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Post by themainviking » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:52 pm

gwhizz wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 am
I had a Diamond (Hartco) seat on my 2002 Goldwing and traveled a lot with it. Good seat had some draw backs such as clothe, always worried about rain, it finally broke in around 4000 miles. Sold the bike and bought a 2010 wing that came with an Ultimate king seat. If the seat didn't come with the bike I would not want one. To narrow in the nose to support the thighs causing pain on the upper thighs. The lack of support there adds pressure to buttocks causing pain there. I will be selling the Ultimate seat and either trying the Russell Day long
Yeah, if you are not over six feet tall with at least a 32 inch inseam, the king Ultimate would set you back far enough to cause support problems. If you are over those stated numbers, then the Ultimate is not the seat for you. Everyone is different as to what is good to sit on for hours and hours. I wish I could try all the different seats, but unless we can form a seat club, with each GL1800 owner getting a different seat, and then trading them around so everyone gets to ride every seat for a month or so, there ain't no hope of ever having a true comparison.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

hebert3007

Post by hebert3007 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:52 pm

themainviking wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:52 pm
gwhizz wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 am
Yeah, if you are not over six feet tall with at least a 32 inch inseam, the king Ultimate would set you back far enough to cause support problems. If you are over those stated numbers, then the Ultimate is not the seat for you. Everyone is different as to what is good to sit on for hours and hours. I wish I could try all the different seats, but unless we can form a seat club, with each GL1800 owner getting a different seat, and then trading them around so everyone gets to ride every seat for a month or so, there ain't no hope of ever having a true comparison.
Boy I think you hit the nail on the head that would be nice. There is about 12 different Manufactures so 11 you would send to junk lol. I started out 6' with 32" inseam now 5"10" with 31"thay call this the golden years haha.thank for your reply. 75 next month trying to stay vertical instead of horizontal thanks Bernie

themainviking

Post by themainviking » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:55 am

hebert3007 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:52 pm
Boy I think you hit the nail on the head that would be nice. There is about 12 different Manufactures so 11 you would send to junk lol. I started out 6' with 32" inseam now 5"10" with 31"thay call this the golden years haha.thank for your reply. 75 next month trying to stay vertical instead of horizontal thanks Bernie
Bernie, the only thing "golden" about getting old is the color of your urine. Gets MORE golden every year. And more frequent. I am a young pup compared to yourself. Just turned 69.

hebert3007

Post by hebert3007 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:30 am

themainviking wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:55 am
hebert3007 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:52 pm
Bernie, the only thing "golden" about getting old is the color of your urine. Gets MORE golden every year. And more frequent. I am a young pup compared to yourself. Just turned 69.
Yes and you need more Gold to.

themainviking

Post by themainviking » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:24 am

I mistyped in my response about the Ultimate King seat. I said if you were over those numbers the seat would not be good, but I meant if you were under. Over six feet tall with 32 or more inseam should be okay on the King Ultimate. Shorter with less inseam not so much. I should proof read more often or more carefully.

hebert3007

Post by hebert3007 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:54 pm

themainviking wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:24 am
I mistyped in my response about the Ultimate King seat. I said if you were over those numbers the seat would not be good, but I meant if you were under. Over six feet tall with 32 or more inseam should be okay on the King Ultimate. Shorter with less inseam not so much. I should proof read more often or more carefully.
Go to Wingstuff.com thay are handling the Ultimate King seat thay say this the seat for a trike because wen you put trike kit on it Chang the foot pigs thay do not now what thay are talking about I have built two trikes champion & CSC the foot pigs are part of motercycle main frame and do not change nothing from stock so you need to be more more savvy wen you read some of the retailer website. I know what you meant. This why I like this web site some of the people are not to mechanically inclined and can git good advice so now mater what you think there is always some one will help. So I will take my 75 years old but off for now and thanks for you reply Bernie

DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:17 pm

offcenter wrote:
to NJ, no problem.
You're not the only one. I love the seat on my 1500. I can go all day on it and it just needed a new cover, the foam is still in great shape.
If my gal ain't happy, I ain't happy. Thank God she loves bikes.

hebert3007

Post by hebert3007 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:02 pm

DarthJ wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:17 pm
offcenter wrote:
to NJ, no problem.
You're not the only one. I love the seat on my 1500. I can go all day on it and it just needed a new cover, the foam is still in great shape.
Just the gl1800 like ridding on a price of wood thank for your replay Bernie

rachester67
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by rachester67 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:41 pm

rode Harley Ultras for 10 years always put a Corbin on and loved them. Haven't gotten one yet for the Goldwing because of the price. Corbins are firm like a saddle on a horse so it gives you good support all day long. I miss my Corbin can't put but around a 150 miles on stock seat before I need a break from it.

hebert3007

Post by hebert3007 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:39 pm

rachester67 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:41 pm
rode Harley Ultras for 10 years always put a Corbin on and loved them. Haven't gotten one yet for the Goldwing because of the price. Corbins are firm like a saddle on a horse so it gives you good support all day long. I miss my Corbin can't put but around a 150 miles on stock seat before I need a break from it.
Thank for your reply still taking advice Bernie

Jag39
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by Jag39 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:05 am

offcenter wrote:
to NJ, no problem.
I agree with the comment on the stock GW seat. My '98 seat has been great. Stitching came loose, so it is at the shop, supposedly getting repaired. Guy says he wants to put more padding in here and there, told him not to screw up my seat, as it's perfect. Not sure what I will have when I get it back. Fingers crossed.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 111,980 miles

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:22 am

I owned a '94se and a '98se, and the stock Honda seat for the 97/98 bikes fits me perfectly.

I had a Diamond seat on the '94 and gave it away, bought a '97 and fell in love with it.

My '98 had the stock OEM seat, matched my butt perfectly,

My 2002 came with a Corbin seat, after a few thousand miles, I traded that straight across for a brand new 2010 Honda seat, again, matches my butt perfectly.

John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com