Why did he crash ?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mark4Jesus
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Re: Why did he crash ?

Post by mark4Jesus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:31 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:52 pm
mark4Jesus wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:13 pm
I think I may see, but, do you know where you ended up at when everything came to a stop?
oh yes, about 6 days later, I was in ICU looking at a very pretty nurse.... :)

the whole thing really scared my family, my son flew into Phoenix, AZ from San Mateo, CA and then he called him mom who was up in Ft. Wayne, IN and told her that he did not think that I was going to make it..... that first week, from what I can determine was really touch and go, the doctors had me on an induced coma to let the swelling go down in my skull....

I had a frontal concussion, a top concussion zig zagged front to back, and a rear concussion.... I must really have rattled around in that helmet before it came off..... it was laying on the ground after the crash ended..... the how, it came off, is unknown....

the investigator wrote down "not wearing helmet", which is not the truth, I won't get on the bike w/o that helmet.
Wow! At least you didn't wake up to some burly, hairly, guy nurse! I didn't word my question very well after re-reading it. Do you know where you were laying in relation to your bike?

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 111,980 miles

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Ihave read that Revzilla article before, and it is a good one.

and, as they stated, that report only included Orange County in Caifornia...
what a waste of taxpayer money....

no rural roads, no states w/o helmet laws....

those of us who ride a lot of rural roads, and I bet I am not alone on this, I hate the intersections the most. You know the kind, you just went into a dip and just as you crest the hill top and start down again, there is a Stop Sign there for you and a tractor pulling across and pulling a hay wagon.

I use my 7 inch GPS mounted dead center on the handlebars w/o a route programmed into it, that way it shows me the cross roads that are coming up... even when I know the road very well, it still helps me.
John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

Scooters
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda Reflex
1982 Honda Elite

Post by Scooters » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:12 pm

Interesting comments - now for another view:

Some of the Single rider accidents-no car, which can be seen on YouTube , are the ones I found to be difficult to understand , which is why I posed the question.
Some spils it is obvious, after watching 50 minutes of these videos... but some are not.
I wish I knew how to take a clip and post it here for discussion .

I guess I could post a link, but watching these things may not be good!

Any clip thoughts?

PS
I'm reviving a 1985 honda 150 Elite. My significant other intends to learn how to ride it... Of course not being a rider, she has no clue of road strategy that a
motorcyclist must learn and practice.

I feel proper road strategy might be her biggest risk, since it is easy to ride.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 111,980 miles

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:34 pm

Put her on a bicycle first, and find out if she understands counter steering!

then take her to a MSN rider course, they will teach her things that will be more acceptable "from the experts" than from your mouth....

something like wives don't listen to a word I say.....

Here is the Law, new riders are required to take a Safety Course:
https://www.ok.gov/okiemoto/Motorcycle_Education/

https://itstillruns.com/beginner-motorc ... 52923.html

https://roadguardians.org/rider-educati ... DLEALw_wcB

https://www.tulsaharley.com/schedule-a- ... rn-to-ride

do what I did, use Google and find what is relevant in your home territory.
John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:04 pm

RE:Scooters P.S.
I'm pretty sure the motorcycle safety class is a requirement in Pa. Before that, take the scooter to a large, empty parking lot (such as school) and let her get familiar with feeling the balance, rolling on and off the throttle, start and stopping, mastering the controls, and low speed riding, turning, circles, etc. Then if she wants to continue, take the learn to ride class. Remember, that there is sooooo much that experienced riders do by second nature-good and bad- that it can be overwhelming to convey that all to a new rider. They have enough to concentrate on just learning how to operate and enjoying the ride. Lots of patience will go along way!

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:37 pm

I disagree with minimac, take the MSFcourse before doing anything on the motorcycle. Let the instructors teach the correct techniques before anyone has a chance to offer other methods. then follow the instructions from the course. Practice will be a continuing part of the course for years to come.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

rachester67
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by rachester67 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:43 pm

post links to videos most of them will be oh crap I'm going to fast into this corner freak out and crash, instead of down shift brake with rear brake and counter steer through corner. It really freaks a lot of folks out when your steering so hard in a corner that you start scrapping parts on the pavement.

Scooters
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda Reflex
1982 Honda Elite

Post by Scooters » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Here in PA obtaining a permit requires passing a written test only .

A local HD dealer offers training courses, sponsored by DOT. I plan to participate as well.

Most likely I'll start her before a course begins, just because of course scheduling. We are both anxious.

I got her to start watching MCrider training videos today.

I'll post a link ( to crash video) when I find one interesting for discussion.

Scooter is waiting for new petcock.
1985 ... Antique tags maybe???

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Harvey- You don't want to spend the $$$ for the course if you don't like riding. How do you know, unless you try it first. I would imagine very few people say I'm going to spend $300 or more to take a motorcycle safety class, only to find out they can't balance it or aren't coordinated enough to clutch with one hand, brake with the other hand, shift with one foot , brake with the other foot, look far enough ahead, work the signals, etc,......you get the picture. You have to try it first to see if it's something you want to pursue. Then, by all means, take the rider safety course.