Show Chrome LED dual conversion harness 13-307

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Show Chrome LED dual conversion harness 13-307

Post by Dusty Boots » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:15 am

Has any one here tried/use the Show Chrome LED dual conversion harness 13-307 that Gary at Cyclemax sells?
User experience???

Seeing as how my new to me Victory Cross Country Tour only has a headlight up front and no running lights, I was thinking on adding a small amber LED array on each side up front to act as running/additional turn signals to help increase visibility to oncoming traffic. (I will be adding a set of 18W aux LED driving lamps as well)

Dusty

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Show Chrome LED dual conversion harness 13-307

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:38 am

It's a few pieces of wire, a few connectors, a 10 cent resistor, and some shrink wrap. I could build this for under a dollar.

But while it might work for some, it's not the greatest solution. It works by reducing the voltage getting to the LED - that's what the resistor does. LEDs aren't like light bulbs, they don't dim linearly as you reduce voltage. Some LEDs will barely dim at all with this harness, others will almost turn off completely - it depends on the LEDs being used, how many are being used, and the driver inside the LED light itself.

The correct way to dim LEDs is with a high-frequency adjustable duty cycle oscillator, which is how I did mine (I built my own). You can adjust the light output from 0 to 100% or anywhere in between, in exact increments, and it works with any LED load, regardless of how many LEDs you have or what kind of driver they are using. But you won't find that anywhere for $7.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Post by Dusty Boots » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:51 am

I got around to mocking up my intended set up on my workbench this morning, using 1 of the 2 circuits I got to power up 2 arrays of LED strips.

I'll be using one as runningboard running lights and turn signals and the other will be up front as a marker/turn signal (in addition to the front turn signal)

The light output you see at the start of the video and between 'signal flashes' is roughly 20 of full output

Worked pretty good!

brian.peters
Motorcycle: 97 GL1500 SE

Post by brian.peters » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Dusty Boots wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:51 am
I got around to mocking up my intended set up on my workbench this morning, using 1 of the 2 circuits I got to power up 2 arrays of LED strips.

I'll be using one as runningboard running lights and turn signals and the other will be up front as a marker/turn signal (in addition to the front turn signal)

The light output you see at the start of the video and between 'signal flashes' is roughly 20 of full output

Worked pretty good!

That is interesting. I guess these led light strings are just a commodity and all built pretty much the same. I'd be curious at the power draw when dim.