Reviving an old Laptop

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 111,980 miles

Reviving an old Laptop

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 am

I was given an old ACER Aspire 5253 laptop with Win7 Home Premium...

it was so slow, that I just could not handle it at all. It was taking like a minute to accept a new bookmark and maybe bring up that page.
Or click on New Posts and wait and wait and wait...

So, I fired up Macrium Reflect and made a disk image of it and saved that on my backup HDD.

A couple hours later, it is now totally reformatted into Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

I was amazed at how useful this thing is now, for surfing, it is almost as fast as my ASUS laptop which has 4 times more memory, and 3 times faster CPU.

It will never be a great PC, but it sure will make a nice backup, or something to throw in the saddle bags on the bike...

John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Reviving an old Laptop

Post by themainviking » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:02 am

how is that Linux Cinnamon for watching videos? MP4s or MKVs.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:20 pm

I also converted to Linux 18.3
To play videos,I've used "vlc media player" on my other systems.Its available for Linux too.
I've not tried the version that comes with Linux.

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

I have watched videos with the default player in 17.3 and 18.2 and 18.3 Cinnamon and they all seemed to work fine.

I much prefer VLC and I install that pretty quick.

The ACER Aspire that I referred to in the first post, bogged down after all of Firefox's bookmarks got sync'd up..... my version of bookmarks is well over 10,000 links now....

the Aspire's limited RAM of 1 gB choked up on that.

So, I took Cinnamon off and install the XFCE desktop.

Wow!!! you would not believe it is the same notebook, it actually flitters right along on the internet now with Firefox, and only 5 bookmarks..... I am not going to let it sync to my Big Boy PC bookmarks, it just can't handle them.

I was sent to two different tutorials that show how to strip out all the fluff from XFCE and it almost doubled the speed of that little notebook.

If you any interest in how to do that on XFCE, look at this very short thread.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 5aab674e1b
John

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:36 am

That's good to know. I'll be trying that to one of my old laptops (Win XP) for exactly that reason-traveling on the bike. It's tough as nails, but just outdated. I couldn't bring myself to toss it. Thanks :)

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:52 am

I have a very old Panasonic Toughbook I want to try this out on now that I am "becoming a Linux Expurt" :lol:

it has 256 mB of RAM and 128 mB of HDD or maybe a tiny bit more than that?
I tried to put Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon on it, and it was so lethargic, that I just gave up on it.

Now that I am a bit more knowledgeable, I think I will redo that with one of the very tiny and basic desktops that don't demand so much overhead.

The toughbooks are really tough, you can lay them on the ground and drive a small car over them and it won't hurt them at all... don't recommend that, but it is one of their very old advertisements. :mrgreen:
John

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Played with Linux back in the '90s, ran dual operating systems on my desktop and laptop. Time got away on me, but it was an interesting project. Have been using computers since the punch card days in the late '60s with Fortran 4 and Cobol. First computer in 1985 was a PC Jr, 8088 chip, 128K and the most powerful computer you will ever need was the slogan. Preferred DR DOS (Digital Research) instead of MS DOS, much better operating system, but Gates was a better salesman and MS DOS won out. Didn't switch to MS DOS until I had an 80286 computer.

Linux was always a good operating system but required a time investment to get it right. It was also great for linking computers together as a "super" computer.

This thread has peaked my interest to look for a second laptop and install Linux and see where it goes. The better half may not like it as I do spend some time on the forums and now another project.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:29 pm

The more I read on it, I am learning that it has surpassed Unix.....

it is now the King of the big Computers and Servers around the world....

IIRC, Google is using Linux to get their servers around the world to all intermingle and provide results to us users asking for "search terms"... their database is not housed in one place, it is shared all over the globe.
John

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:39 pm

Here is a tiny bit of notes that I keep when tweaking, crashing, or "improving my computers" :D
what I do is to highlight and copy the thread/tutorial/document and then paste it to my Evernote cloud account.... that way that info is available on any computer that I might be playing with.....

ASUS TP500L: Tweaks for performance on Linux
1/26/18 10:20 AM

More than 1 GB memory (RAM): tame the inode cache

1.2. Computers with more than 1 GB of memory (RAM), will probably benefit by shrinking the inode cache less aggressively.

The price that you pay for this, is that certain system items will remain longer in the RAM memory, which decreases the amount of available RAM for general tasks. That's why this tweak is only useful for computers with more than 1 GB of memory (RAM).

a. Type in the terminal (use copy/paste):

gksudo xed /etc/sysctl.conf

Press Enter.

Now a text file opens. Scroll to the bottom of that text file and add your swappiness and cache parameters to override the defaults, so copy/paste the following two green lines:

# Improve cache management
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

d. Close the text file and reboot your computer.

1/26/18 10:24 AM
Turned off Shutter and the Mint display:
....... to me, Shutter is a useless piece of crap, I open GIMP, do the edits, save the files, email it out, before I can figure out what to do with Shutter.
Turn off some startup applications

5. You can speed up Mint somewhat, by disabling a couple of system services that may be superfluous for you. This tweak can be compared to tweaking msconfig in Windows.

These are called startup applications, because they're being launched at startup. Untick what you don't need and reboot your computer (or log out and then log in again).

Mint Xfce: type session in the search box of the menu and select:
Session and Startup

Note: only remove the ticks, do not remove the application from the list! Keep the tweak easily reversible (you never know). When in doubt about a particular application: don't do anything, just leave it the way it is.

Examples of system services that many people don't need:
- Bluetooth Manager
- NVIDIA X Server Settings
- Shutter

I need to Investigate this note:
Lots of RAM (at least 4 GB): put /tmp on tmpfs

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Post by themainviking » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:41 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:52 am
I have a very old Panasonic Toughbook I want to try this out on now that I am "becoming a Linux Expurt" :lol:

it has 256 mB of RAM and 128 mB of HDD or maybe a tiny bit more than that?
I tried to put Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon on it, and it was so lethargic, that I just gave up on it.

Now that I am a bit more knowledgeable, I think I will redo that with one of the very tiny and basic desktops that don't demand so much overhead.

The toughbooks are really tough, you can lay them on the ground and drive a small car over them and it won't hurt them at all... don't recommend that, but it is one of their very old advertisements. :mrgreen:
Let us know how it works on that toughbook... I have three of them here.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:16 am

Were you aware that IBM have been selling, developing, and using Linux for some years on their mainframes (or what passes as mainframes), for some years now.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:29 pm

redial wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:16 am
Were you aware that IBM have been selling, developing, and using Linux for some years on their mainframes (or what passes as mainframes), for some years now.
Yes,
I read an article a few weeks back that put forth the information that all the big boys are now using Linux, including IBM.

I think of IBM every once in a while, they interviewed me twice for a job in my last year of college....
I often wonder where I would be, and what kind of work I would be doing, had I taken them up on that offer.

1st time, "but that place is too far away from home"
..... how stupid that was, but I was a "momma's boy at the time"

2nd time, " we can send you to school to let you finish up your education, we pay for it....."
.... but I had the hang up on "radio" as I enjoyed being a Ham Radio operator, and what was this thing they were calling a "computer" anyway....

Retired now 7 years, funny thing about life, you don't get a 2nd go around.

John