license renewal time

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

license renewal time

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:21 am

Ok, I'm a little upset but at the same time kinda relieved, I'm upset because I read and re-read my motorcycle handbook for a week so I could ace the written test, I was going to do the same for the auto test, Well... I was doing pretty well on the pretest [online] and I decided to find out what I needed to take as proof of residency when I noticed... New Law Change... [Kansas DMV site] so I read it and it says that we here in Kansas don't need to take a written exam anymore for re-newing Licenses :oops: And they go on to tell you that they sent out post cards as a reminder, Why in the heck didn't they just say hey Littlebeaver you don't have to take the written exam anymore on that card I got...I'm a dumbass... I guess I should read the freakin newspaper more often..They still do the eye exam so I had better uncross my eyes somehow.. :o :D Stupid ...man..oh...man

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Re: license renewal time

Postby maestro319 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:22 pm

How often do you have to do the actual driving test?

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:48 pm

It believe it's just a written test only for renewal but now that's gone, I have never had to take a actual riding or driving test once I earned it in any of the seven states I have lived, Il. however wanted to make me take a driving test for my commercial license back in 87 that I earned in Texas and I didn't have access to a large vehicle because we just moved there so I just let it go, stupid law in my opinion I think once you earned it it should be honored in every state in the Nation because you proved to the State that you could drive a large vehicle I drove a concrete Mix in San Antonio traffic on I-35 and 410 for a few years...Booo..I never did get another commercial license.. Ya know something why didn't they make me take a motorcycle skill test, No.... it was just a written one.. To the question asked, every six years here in Kansas ..Most states it's not that long.. I lived in TX,Il. Al. SC. Ky. Mo.Ks.

Bouvier1
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl 1800A

Postby Bouvier1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:17 am

In the UK the licence lasts until you are 65yrs old then you have a retest that covers until 75. The test used to be simple - ride round a small block and stop when the examiner stepped in front of you (er I think you failed if you hit him), also answer some questions on the Highway code (UK advisory law). Simple.
Now you must pass a computer test which covers things like the Driving laws etc but also covers danger perception ie picture showing car in front and lorry coming toward you - would it be safe to overtake? (cost anywhere between £40 and £70 if you go through a company).
After which is the ridden test you must have taken a course first and this costs around £500 - ($600 approx). You can fail by putting your foot down or letting it 'hover' over the road when doing a 'U' turn. This course/test is harder than a car course and test - same computer test but the car driving is easier - you are taken around a set route (which your instructor would have taken you on every time you were with them). Lately to make it 'Really difficult' for car drivers to pass they have brought in a new part in which you are told to go to a set destination without the examiner telling you where to go ie you have to follow the signs - novel isn't it?

Bouvier1

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:22 am

Wow. I wish they did tests like that here. In Ohio, assuming you have an automobile license, and you're at least 16, all you have to do is a short written test (which of these signs means STOP, on which handlebar is the throttle located, really tough questions like that), pay $20, and they hand you a learner's permit which allows you to ride during daylight hours, with a helmet, and without a passenger, on any bike you wish. This causes inexperienced 16-year-olds to go screaming around on 1000cc superbikes and killing themselves.

If you're 18 or over, you can then take your practical test, which costs $23 and consists mostly of stopping without going over a painted line, and turning inside a set of lines inside a parking lot. If you're under 18, you have to take the day-long MSF Basic Rider course, which is free, and will get you a full, unrestricted license. If you're 18 or over, the MSF BRC will cost you $25, and again, gets you a full, unrestricted license.

Once you have your full license, apparently the correct thing to do in Ohio (from what I see pretty well every day) is to:

take your helmet off and leave it at home (Harley riders)
take your helmet off and leave it clamped to the seat (sport bike riders)

In either case, you then put on a pair of shorts and a T-shirt, and go riding at insane speeds while pulling wheelies in traffic (sport bikes), or go riding in packs with other similarly-minded people with obnoxiously loud exhausts (Harleys).

cbach1981
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby cbach1981 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:14 pm

Maine is even easier. take basic rider coarse, about $45 last I knew. $10 to take a written exam and get a permit, then quick 5 minute ride around the block with examiner in car behind you to get a full license. First year is no passangers, helmet at all times. After that, it's your call.
    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:19 pm

Boy ! I sure hope Illinois is that easy. I have taken the written test, got my permit, and now need to do the driving test. With winter closing in I would like to get it in soon, but I still think I need more practice. BUT, if it is like your states, maybe it won't be so bad. I'm also thinking if it is cooler or cold out, maybe the examiner won't want to stay out too long. :D

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:11 pm

Ok.. now I'm feeling really stupid, I went back and found that little postcard the DMV sent me for a reminder and it says on the back, that you Do NOT have to take a written exam.. I read it after I put my freakin glasses on this time, I swear every day that goes by I get dumber and dumber.. I still need to take a eye exam oh She-it :o

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:08 pm

I took my test long ago and when I moved to In. and got my lic. I went ahead and had my motorcycle endorsment kept on my new lic. dont want to have to take it all over again. When I got my goldwings my son took his written test for his permit but I would not let him ride unless I was with him I taught him all that I could remember since it had been a while since I had been on a bike. I then enrolled him in the In. abate course ($75) it was a three day course after the course since the people giving the course are also the state testers all he had to do was then go to the lic. branch and get his full motorcycle lic. But the rules for ridding my bikes is a helmet at all times. Or no riding brake the rules it gets parked,so far so good I dont think I have to worry about poping wheeles or drag racing (hard to do on a 1985 aspy.haha) but just want for him to be safe with all the dumb-ss out there. Wingadmin is right I see the same thing here in In. young kids showing off on there bikes guess they dont understand how in one second it could all go wrong very wrong!! well good riding and thanks. Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:21 pm

Texas was like maine, back in 1980 the troopers would follow you in their trooper car, they instructed me to turn left if honked once [horn] and two honks means right turn , I told him, well, I'm good at following instructions, so the first thing I do after we start our little journey through a small neighborhood after he honked twice is ... I turned left... :oops: I got myself back and he and his partner were laughing at me, I think I made their boring day better...I did well after that and got my license..I always wondered how they do stuff in other countries, thanks for sharing Bouvier1 that was cool reading.. Do we have any other countries or experiences someone would like to tell us American's about..Or maybe different states?

cbach1981
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby cbach1981 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:14 am

That's the Maine way also, littlebeaver, but not with troopers. Just a license examiner from BMV in their car beeping at you along the way. My test was literally about 5 Minutes. But there was two examiners and the people who drew the other examiner were gone for about 20 minutes each. They were tested a bit more thoroughly. Don't know if there was a reason for that other than an examiner wanting to be sure of the persons capabilities.
    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

Britanicus
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 GoldWing

Postby Britanicus » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:27 pm

Way back I had to write a test of road rules knowledge etc to get my beginners. About 3 moths later I had to ride a course with the assessor looking on. The course consisted of driving 100 meters between 2 lines of pylons set close together. A u-turn. A slalom. and a few other obstacle type tests. Pretty easy, I even did it on a KZ1000.

Now every 5 years I pay a fee to renew my licence, no test or anything.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”