96 Interstate conversion

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1996 goldwing gl1500

96 Interstate conversion

Post by greenbaypackfan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:08 pm

I started this journey about 5 years ago. I bought my best friends bike that he was installing cruise control on. He never finished, and I did (along with the major help from the daughters boy friend).
I have to let you know the bike had 530,000 miles on it. After fixing up that part of it I added a few more things. 2 years ago I got a great deal on another engine with only 35,000 miles on it. This engine has reverse. Took awhile to get the engine in. What a difference. Now I am hooking up the reverse. Only 3 more wire connections to go, I hope.
Now after all this, my health is failing. I am on oxygen and am having a difficult time trying to carry oxygen for me. I have a POC, but my oxygen requirements are getting to high for it. I think my riding days may be over.
This 1996 Interstate is now able to have everything a SE has. Minus the windshield vent. I wouldn't advise anyone to go through everything I did to this bike (easier to buy one with everything). But it was quite the learning experiance. I can honestly say we have gone through this bike more than any other bike owner would have. I probably wouldn't have started this project, but my friend already had most of the hard work done for me, IE all the wiring and parts. I love the bike, and am planning to sell it to the boyfriend who helped. He really wants it. He will have probably the only Interstate with cruise and reverse.
Has anyone else done anything like this?

Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: 96 Interstate conversion

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Not personally, but I have read of a very few folks who have gone to that trouble.

One of which is Lopeha - Andy Williams, but all the work was done by DaveO430....
Andy is an OTR truck driver, and six hours once a week, won't get a job like that done. :D
See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

Beautiful downtown Greendale / Lawrenceburg, IN

MAP > https://images2.imgbox.com/c3/eb/RE3YhQz2_o.png