Blue toothing a 1800

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
rmoss
Motorcycle: 2014 White GL1800

Blue toothing a 1800

Post by rmoss » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:44 pm

I'm looking at moving into the world of Bluetooth and I'm a little dumb with it all.
I'm looking at the sena s20's and a sena free wire . My question is do I need 2 free wires or will one do both my self and my passenger.
We both want to be able to communicate with each other and listen to music from the bike as well as hear the gps.
Also are the headsets voice activated??

Thanks

Robert

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Re: Blue toothing a 1800

Post by dtrider » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:40 pm

Unless you have a CB I don't think you will need the freewire. All you really need will be the two Sena 20S for on your helmets, a Sena SM10 dual BT transmitter, and an adapter to connect the SM10 to one of the old helmet audio connectors on the bike.

You will use the intercom of the 20S to communicate with your passenger while the SM10 will stream music and other audio from the bike to both of you. When one of you starts to talk, the music audio will be dampened so that you don't have to tell over the music. If you have your phone paired with your headset and a call comes in, the music and intercom will be cut out while you are on the call. You can supposedly bring the other person into the call also, but I've never had the need to do that so I can't really say how well it works.

I can use voice commands to make calls, but I think most of that functionality is in the phone rather than the headset.

/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Post by thrasherg » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:10 am

As dtrider stated, if you want to use the CB then you need two Freewires (very expensive) but if you can do without the CB then a single dual SM10 and two headsets is all you need.

Gary

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by dtrider » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:44 am

Just to be complete, there are actually a few other minor things you will need. To start, you'll want a 12V to USB power connector so that you can provide power to the SM10 from the bike. The SM10 does have a battery that will last several hours on a charge, but it would be a minor PITA to have to disconnect it take it in to charge up all the time then plug it in again.

You'll probably also want a ground-loop isolation transformer to put inline with the audio feed into the SM10. Otherwise you are likely to end up with an annoying engine whine in your headsets. I used this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQ ... UTF8&psc=1

You'll also need an audio cable and an adapter to let you connect the SM10 to the bike's audio through one of the headset audio connectors. You can get this one from Sena, but if you do a search you can probably find a less expensive one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087 ... UTF8&psc=1

/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

rmoss
Motorcycle: 2014 White GL1800

Post by rmoss » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:42 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I should have mentioned that I do not use a CB so it looks like the S10 is the way to go.
Definitely looks a lot cheaper than 2 freewires.
Now to convince the other half this is the way to go.
We just bought a bushtec Quantum GL trailer so I might have spent the bank this yr but we will see.

Thanks again for the help.
Robert

garwil
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE
2002 ST1100

Post by garwil » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:35 pm

I have been using uClear blu-tooth for a number of years. I really like not having a microphone in front of my lips.
I have one for my helmet, and one for my wife.
We both connect our own uClear to our individual phones, so we can take calls (if we want to).
We can talk to each other without the background hissing from the comms on the gold wing.
I can hear my Garmin Zumo give voice directions.
The battery life on the UClear units exceeds a multi day ride.
Best of all, none of this is wired to the bike, so it works just as well on any of my bikes without extra cost.