My first accident was almost with another motorcyclist!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Choctaw
Motorcycle: GL 1800 Gold Wing

My first accident was almost with another motorcyclist!

Post by Choctaw » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:45 am

Finally, some nice weather yesterday here in Michigan. My first close call of the year involved, of all things, another motorcyclist. I was following two Harleys through our little town of a population of 7000 at 15mph. When we began approaching the stop light I turned my right-hand blinker and started to merge into the right-hand turn lane that was clearly defined by a solid white line. One of the guys decided at that last minute to cross the solid white line and come into my turning lane so quickly that I had to slam on my breaks and the car behind me almost rear ended me. His buddy was a bit upset that he would do something link that because he caught what was happening in his peripheral vision. He said a few things to him and I just have to yell at him and say come on man! So anyway, other motorcyclists are currently on my **** list at the moment. 😊

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: My first accident was almost with another motorcyclist!

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:23 am

I try to not get close to another biker if I do not know him.

Worse than cars, because of the potential to go sideways instantly.
~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

BJGrunion
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by BJGrunion » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:01 am

My first "accident" was with another motorcyclist. He failed to obey the rules as trained (for the 4TH time that day!), struck me and took out brakes/steering. I hit another MC. Two in the hospital, 3 bikes totaled, rider responsible walked away with a sore toe... :x

billbob
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda gl1800 goldwing

Post by billbob » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:17 am

Glad it was just a close call and you both are ok.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:08 pm

It happens all the time with new to a group riders. They want so bad to do the right things, in fact so bad, that they screw up by not looking where they and others are going. They try to ride the group ride first and their own ride second, and that just does not work. You gotta ride your own ride, and mesh that into the group ride. One guy, four or five years ago, fairly experienced rider, but new to the group, following the road captain, looked left, looked right and rode right into the back end of the bike in front of him, failing to look forward, thinking that everyone had to get going. Of course, to him, it was the bike he hit that was at fault for not pulling in front of a car that was passing the parking lot entrance. He also did not offer to pay damages to the owner of the bike he hit. He still rides with that group, but neither I nor the guy he hit do.

The song goes

"I ride alone - with nobody else. You know when I ride alone, I just wanna be by myself." (adapted from David Allan Coe - I drink alone)
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:51 am

My first accident with a bike was back in 1980 on my old CL350. I was riding with friend who had evidently forgotten one of the primary rules of riding tandem, "The bike on the inside of the turn ALWAYS goes first". We were in the left lane at a stoplight on a four lane boulevard, I was in the left side of the lane and he was in the right. He failed to communicate to me he wanted to turn left here, and when the light turned green we pulled out, he started first and and turned left in front of me, cutting me off and I hit him.

Fortunately this was all still at low speed and nobody was hurt, I cussed him out real good, we picked up our bikes and went on our way.... GRRR :evil:
They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll:

GBKid
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Post by GBKid » Tue May 01, 2018 6:09 am

This was my first crash. I posted this earlier in Goldwing Chat then I saw the newsletter encouraging the readers to reply to this thread. Anyhow, here we go.

After a long winter here in Wisconsin, which included much of that time recovering from injuries from a motorcycle crash, I’m back in the saddle again on a 2000 Goldwing GL1500 SE, 25 Year Anniversary Edition. I was lucky to find this gem.
On September 13th, my brother and I embarked on a 12 day tour, which included planned stops in Nashville, Gatlinburg, and Gettysburg, and riding the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway. Unfortunately, we didn’t get through the first day. Upon arriving in a Terre Haute, Indiana just before dark, we decided to get a hotel for the night and first went to a restaurant to eat. After dinner, as we were heading to the hotel a mile away, I was rear ended by a car being chased by the police and my brother was side-swiped sending us both off our bikes and we both suffered serious injuries, but thankfully we survived. (Note: We both were wearing helmets and good armored jackets that without, we both would have been killed. Wear protective gear!)
Anyhow, I had a 1989 Goldwing GL1500 that I spent the previous 3 years restoring. I used this site many times during that time and I posted a few things about my repairs also. I would have taken that bike anywhere. Needless to say I was hooked and loved the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (great book by the way) and after the initial shock of the crash and telling myself I would never ride a motorcycle again, well... Last week I bought the 2000 GL1500 SE and it is in mint condition. I considered something newer in a GL1800, but I really had an affection for the GL1500, not to mention I was very familiar with the GL1500 both mechanically and riding wise. I also believe the GL1500 is just built better.
The pictures posted are of me on my ‘89 and my brother on his BMW, 9 minutes before the crash as we were getting ready to leave for the hotel. In the background of my brother’s pic, you can see U.S. 41 which is the highway the crash happened on, a little over a quarter mile north (right) from where we were in the picture. Point is life can change in an instant so be prepared and wear the protective gear. The rest of the pics are of my new 2000 GL1500. I can’t wait to finish that trip we didn’t finish last summer. I’ll just go around Terre Haute this time.
Attachments

Overbyte
Motorcycle: 2014 Honda GL1800/A Goldwing

The bike in the 1960 photo is a 54 Matchless.

Post by Overbyte » Tue May 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Group riding, not for everyone...

I had a misspent youth riding British motorcycles, think Steve McQueen. Whoever gets there first wins.
Shortly after getting married I joined the Los Angeles Police Department and became a motor officer, kick start harleys.
I thought I knew something about riding motorcycles - WRONG! About 75% of my motor class washed out.
On LAPD we rode tandem (side by side). We didn't ride as 2 motors, we rode as one.
The ability to do this comes from training and experience, knowing what you partner is going to do.
Now in my late-late 70''s I ride with a law enforcement club, mostly retired, only a few rode police motors.
We ride in a staggered formation, quite close and it is enjoyable.
We work very hard to ride safely, we don't do anything to bring discredit on our club in the eyes of the public.
We are not 1 per-centers!
I previously rode with a BMW group, nice guys, but...
I ride quite aggressively, however I left the BMW group because of the "laissez a faire" attitude and the unpredictable behavior.
Like many things in life, motorcycle riding shouldn't hurt, if it does, your doing it wrong. Take it seriously.

My best advice to riders - group or otherwise, "The threat is in front of you, FOCUS, and watch where you are going stupid!"

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:05 pm

It is not always DUI drivers that can get to you.

Sometimes, it is bad equipment on trucks.
This Penski truck had a bad ABS module on the right rear wheel, driver foolishly going too fast in Stop and Go traffic.
Hit the brakes HARD and the truck immediately did a 90° left turn and this is what resulted.

I was in ICU for 6 days, then another two weeks in recovery. The bike? it died.

~John

GBKid
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Post by GBKid » Tue May 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Here’s what my bike looked liked after the crash. The punk fleeing the police rear-ended me at about 90 mph. We were traveling about 35 mph.
Attachments

pumpkinhead10a
Motorcycle: 1991 Honda Goldwing gl 1500se with 51,000 mi

Post by pumpkinhead10a » Tue May 01, 2018 5:50 pm

My own buddy almost ran into the back of me last week.... said he was looking right to long... Inches from a crash...

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:51 pm

I thought I was too old for this at 75 now,

last week, I was looking left at a pretty young girl on the sidewalk and almost rear ended a red car in front of me....

gotta stop that crap... :lol: :lol:
~John

Asphaltmaniac
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 bought out of the box...Now has 184K Love this bike!!!!!

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Wed May 02, 2018 12:20 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:05 pm
It is not always DUI drivers that can get to you.

Sometimes, it is bad equipment on trucks.
This Penski truck had a bad ABS module on the right rear wheel, driver foolishly going too fast in Stop and Go traffic.
Hit the brakes HARD and the truck immediately did a 90° left turn and this is what resulted.

I was in ICU for 6 days, then another two weeks in recovery. The bike? it died.

Bike Officers Truck 800.JPG
I drove tractor trailers for many years. I want to warn everybody here that tractor trucks have immensely powerful brakes and with out a trailer and load attached they can get out of control very quickly when the brakes are applied too hard. And thats on dry pavement. And If the pavement is wet just a light touch at the wrong time can do it. riders beware! Best just to stay away from them.

823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Post by 823JIM » Mon May 14, 2018 10:48 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:51 pm
I thought I was too old for this at 75 now,

last week, I was looking left at a pretty young girl on the sidewalk and almost rear ended a red car in front of me....

gotta stop that crap... :lol: :lol:
Your never too old to look. When I quit looking just nail the lid on.

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
Jim King