Back in the Saddle Again

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
GBKid
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Back in the Saddle Again

Post by GBKid » Tue May 01, 2018 5:52 am

After a long winter here in Wisconsin, which included much of that time recovering from injuries from a motorcycle crash, I’m back in the saddle again on a 2000 Goldwing GL1500 SE, 25 Year Anniversary Edition. I was lucky to find this gem.
On September 13th, my brother and I embarked on a 12 day tour, which included planned stops in Nashville, Gatlinburg, and Gettysburg, and riding the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway. Unfortunately, we didn’t get through the first day. Upon arriving in a Terre Haute, Indiana just before dark, we decided to get a hotel for the night and first went to a restaurant to eat. After dinner, as we were heading to the hotel a mile away, I was rear ended by a car being chased by the police and my brother was side-swiped sending us both off our bikes and we both suffered serious injuries, but thankfully we survived. (Note: We both were wearing helmets and good armored jackets that without, we both would have been killed. Wear protective gear!)
Anyhow, I had a 1989 Goldwing GL1500 that I spent the previous 3 years restoring. I used this site many times during that time and I posted a few things about my repairs also. I would have taken that bike anywhere. Needless to say I was hooked and loved the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (great book by the way) and after the initial shock of the crash and telling myself I would never ride a motorcycle again, well... Last week I bought the 2000 GL1500 SE and it is in mint condition. I considered something newer in a GL1800, but I really had an affection for the GL1500, not to mention I was very familiar with the GL1500 both mechanically and riding wise. I also believe the GL1500 is just built better.
The pictures posted are of me on my ‘89 and my brother on his BMW, 9 minutes before the crash as we were getting ready to leave for the hotel. In the background of my brother’s pic, you can see U.S. 41 which is the highway the crash happened on, a little over a quarter mile north (right) from where we were in the picture. Point is life can change in an instant so be prepared and wear the protective gear. The rest of the pics are of my new 2000 GL1500. I can’t wait to finish that trip we didn’t finish last summer. I’ll just go around Terre Haute this time.
Attachments

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE - sold :-(
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Back in the Saddle Again

Post by cbx4evr » Tue May 01, 2018 8:28 am

I loved my 2000 SE. Still wish I had it some days. The new owner stops by my place and teases me occasionally.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

GBKid
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Post by GBKid » Tue May 01, 2018 9:03 am

Funny. I’m sure you don’t mind. After all, we get attached to our bikes. I made friends on Facebook with the previous owner, who was the original owner, so she could follow the where I take trips on the bike. I will probably stop and visit her on it sometime in the future also.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:46 am

I had a primo '98SE, loved the ride.

I too experienced a bad crash only 3 minutes from getting off work going home.
ATGATT falls on deaf ears, I have a good friend who won't wear a helmet.

~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/