RIDING IN THE RAIN.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
FAT MAN 65
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE- 2012 gl1800

RIDING IN THE RAIN.

Post by FAT MAN 65 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Hello everyone. I would like to hear you guys take on the rain. I haven't ridden in the rain very much. Don't really want to. What do you wear,and do you wear your full face helmets? I wear glasses. Also these hot days in showers is murder. How do you see? THANKS

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
198? Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
198? Honda XL250R
197? Suzuki GT185
197? Suzuki 90 dirtbike

Re: RIDING IN THE RAIN.

Post by C-dub » Sun May 20, 2018 10:20 pm

Hey again.

I haven't had to ride in the rain much yet since getting my 2016 last summer. The few times I've had to I haven't been poured on. I have a modular helmet that I ride with the chin closed probably at least 80% of the time. When I do have it closed (full face basically) I also have the face shield cracked open probably at least 90% of the time.

Rain is still an experiment for me since this is my first motorcycle with a real fairing and windshield. The few times I've chosen or gotten caught in the rain were fairly non eventful. I think, due to the windshield, I didn't get very wet at all and was able to keep that face shield open a tiny bit for ventilation. To keep from having rain blown right on me I close the windshield vent. This then limits the wind getting to my helmet that limits the air flow that helps keep the face shield from fogging. So, I crack the face shield open one notch. So far, no downpours, but I haven't had an issue with water coming into the helmet that way.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Mon May 21, 2018 5:49 am

I wear my frogg toggs raingear, as I have not found anything that keeps the water out any better than these. And they are not expensive. Under a hundred bucks (actually well under) and a 3/4 helmet with a full face shield. (a full face would work as well, but can fog up in the rain, whereas the full shield does not). I have ridden many, many miles in rain with these items on and been relatively comfortable. I also have frogg togg booties that go over my normal boots, but I seldom wear them, as my boots are waterproof or at least resistant. I have also worn grocery bags over my boots in the past, before I got the frogg togg booties. I have a pair of yellow rubber kitchen gloves that I wear over my motorcycle gloves. Keeps my hands dry, and also have abrasive surface to give me a good grip on the handlebars. Try to keep separation in traffic, as cars and trucks throw a lot of water and dirt. When rain first begins to really wet the road, beware the painted center lines, and the center of the road between the normal tire tracks, as these get really slippery. Light rain is actually harder to see in than heavier rain, as the droplets tend to hinder vision. After the rain gets heavier, it causes vision to be mildly distorted, but clear. If you look through your windshield, this will give you another vision hindering surface unless you can keep your faceshield relatively clear. I look over my windshield, so it is not a factor.

In really heavy rain, if possible, it might be better to find a place to pull off. I came through Escanaba, MI, several years ago and coming under a train overpass, actually floated my Goldwing GL1800 off the road in a pond that had formed and was probably 18" deep. The only thing saved us was the trailer I was pulling. When it hit the water, it straightened the bike out and slowed us enough that the wheels again made contact with pavement. Like being in a Tsunami in a sailboat. Water over the bow and from the sides and all around. The bike did not quit, and we got out of the rain at the next possible location.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

bstig60
Motorcycle: 2003 GL 1800
1999 Virago XV1100LC
Luggage Trailer, 2014 Home Made
1983 XJ 750 Seca Tour Model w/ hard bags and trunk
1987 Honda TLR 200

Post by bstig60 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:33 am

I find the goldwing protects you very well in the rain as long as you keep moving. I rode all the way across Wyoming in the summer of '14 in a steady rain... I got wet up to my knees, but no where else and I had my vented jacket on. The only other time I rode all day in the rain returning from a trip to Death Valley NP to my home in NorCal, I put on my Frog Togs and never got wet at all. Now that I moved to Florida I am going to be doing a lot of riding in the rain.
Bill

freedomrunner
Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Goldwing

Post by freedomrunner » Mon May 21, 2018 8:07 am

Rain can be tricky but with proper preparation and precautions it can be dealt with effectively. I will mirror some comments provided earlier. A good rule of thumb is to reduce the number of surfaces you are looking through. If you are going to use a visor on a helmet, then try to see over your windshield. I have a tall windshield mounted so am unable to see over, so I don't wear a visor. The road condition will play a part in this. As mentioned, the oil (center) lane will become slippery, especially in the first 30 minutes or so of the rain. Painted stripes can also become more of a hazard. Additionally, if the road being ridden is paved, the car tracks in the road may have become troughs which will hold water. I have ridden on roads where these tire tracks have held in excess of 1 1/2 of water. As long as you are aware of this, it can be dealt with, just keep in mind that water can hide potholes. I personally still ride in the left tire track, I get a bit more water thrown at me, but I find less potholes then the right tire track. Know your tires. Hopefully, you keep an eye on treadwear at all times. The more your tires are worn, the easier it is to hydro plane. I have floated several times in heavy rain and it isn't fun. As side note, if you are riding a trike, trikes often will hydro easier than two wheelers. As for gear, I can't say enough about Frogg Toggs. Properly fitted and worn, you will stay dry. When raining, I will alway take off the biker gloves, I personally prefer skin on throttle during the storm. Most important, don't be in a hurry and know your skill level. If you feel you are getting to the height of your current skill set, pull over or find a road where you can travel slower.

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Post by Ghostman » Mon May 21, 2018 10:51 am

For ridng in the rain I wear Tourmaster rain gear. Me and my late missus swore by it and never got wet with their brand rainsuits. The missus started off with Frogg Toggs came home wet and that was the end of them. With your raingear also keep a couple of plastic bags you can put these over your shoes or boots and it makes sliding on your rainpants a lot easier. And if your boots arent waterproof put them on over your socks inside your boots to keep your feet dry. For gloves in the rain I just go to the dollar store and buy a pair of rubber gloves and use them.
So far Ive had 3 different pairs of so called waterproof riding gloves and after riding in the rain all day they just cant take it.I wear glasses also and I keep my visor down on my helmet. Without the visor I would get rain on and behind my glasses.

DCTruncale
Motorcycle: current: 2012 Honda Goldwing (Navigation)
formerly: 2007 Kawasaki VN1600 Nomad
1995 Kawasaki VN88 (1500) Vulcan
1998 Suzuki Intruder 800
1976 Honda CB 500 T
1972 Honda CB 175

Post by DCTruncale » Mon May 21, 2018 11:27 am

I use a 3-quarter helmet (instead of full face) that has a shield that I can pivot down at various positions. It blocks the rain (and the occasional bug that slips over the windshield) well - and since it's 3 or 4 inches from my eyes - not 1 or less like glasses or goggles - I can see fairly well. Plus it helps when the temps are in the 30's. During fair weather, I keep it up so I can get a nice breeze on my face. Finally, it's not as heavy as the full-face helmets; although they do provide better protection in case of a crash.

Here's a link to the helmet we use:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ls2 ... O0EALw_wcB

LS2 OF569

Just remember to slow down, reduce lean angles, and go easy on the throttle and brakes. It holds the road better than you might expect.

Ride safe & God bless!
<><david

The Master is coming...
We are not done yet.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue May 22, 2018 4:40 pm

I carry Olympia Horizon Rain Gear which is the best I've used. It is 100% waterproof, it breathes so you don't get hot, it has a hood that goes up over your head to prevent water going down your neck, and it folds up into integrated pouches that you can stuff into the saddlebag when it's not raining. It fits overtop of your regular riding gear, so you can keep the protection/armor features of it, while staying dry.

If I know I'm going to be riding in a lot of rain, or a long trip that will likely hit rain, I will prep my windshield and my helmet faceshield with Moto Solutions RainCoat, which causes the water to bead up and run off easily.

FAT MAN 65

Post by FAT MAN 65 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:09 am

WOW! ,Thanks a lot guys. For the great information. I'm going to Dry RIDGE,Ky. THIS Sunday.60% rain here Sunday&Monday. I'm hashing it out about going. THANKS AGAIN.

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by RockportDave » Thu May 24, 2018 8:45 pm

Years ago all I had was a GL1200 LTD, the wife had the cage. I would get up in the morning go outside and if it was raining, put on the ole banana yellow slicker suit and head off to work.
We also rode on overnight trips and got stuck riding 6+ hours on two different trips in thunderstorms. Had the banana slicker suit and stayed dry except for arms and shins.
Also learned when you hydroplane, don’t panic, keep it straight and ride it out. It always got a grip in a few seconds.
I have also hit a diesel slick in a rain storm. More of the Good Lord holding me up than my experience. Diesel is VERY slick, even worse in water. I eased off the throttle and kept my balance. The GL1500 wanted to slide out from under me to the sides, but it stayed straight. Had to find a rest stop pretty soon after that ordeal!
I keep Mequiars liquid wax on the windshield which beads the rain right off of it and helps to hide the small stress cracks to see at night.
Dave
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years

FAT MAN 65

Post by FAT MAN 65 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Thanks Dave. I decided to put my trip off for a couple of weeks. It's gonna rain every single day next week. Good information to know.Thanks again.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special) - sold
2015 Jawa 350 (2-stroke).

Post by brettchallenger » Fri May 25, 2018 5:58 am

. Diesel is VERY slick, even worse in water.
Dreadful problem here in the UK especially on roundabouts early morning. Buses and trucks fill their tanks to the max and when they go round the tight curve of a roundabout, the g-force causes diesel to spill out. Of course, when you are on a motorcycle negotiating a roundabout, you tend to be leaning into the curve, just the sort of thing you don't want to be doing on a diesel spill. The biggest warning you tend to get is from your nose, you smell it before you see it, if you see it at all.
Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Fri May 25, 2018 7:25 am

I have a set of Nelson Rigg raingear, that's the best I've found. You don't sweat to death and steam in your own juices, while keeping dry. I always wear a full face but have found when keeping it opened slightly, the rain comes in from behind! A minor irritation, though. Also, the water beads up on the windshield, rolls up to the top, then drops right into your lap. I corrected that by putting some of that door edging stuff they sell rolled up at Wallyworld, on the edge of the windshield. Because I'm a frugal type, I just use the black stuff, but you high rollers could probably spring for the shiny chrome stuff. Now the water beads up, runs to the top, then down the sides. It helped immensely. Don't forget shoe/boot covers, and good gloves. Nothing worse than having wet squishy shoes and cold, wet hands.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri May 25, 2018 7:30 am

minimac wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:25 am
I have a set of Nelson Rigg raingear, that's the best I've found. You don't sweat to death and steam in your own juices, while keeping dry. I always wear a full face but have found when keeping it opened slightly, the rain comes in from behind! A minor irritation, though. Also, the water beads up on the windshield, rolls up to the top, then drops right into your lap. I corrected that by putting some of that door edging stuff they sell rolled up at Wallyworld, on the edge of the windshield. Because I'm a frugal type, I just use the black stuff, but you high rollers could probably spring for the shiny chrome stuff. Now the water beads up, runs to the top, then down the sides. It helped immensely. Don't forget shoe/boot covers, and good gloves. Nothing worse than having wet squishy shoes and cold, wet hands.
I have a set of "rain gloves" that I use for wet weather. They have a waterproof Gore-Tex layer on the inside, and I spray the leather outside to keep them as waterproof as possible. My everyday riding boots are already waterproof, so no worries there. As for a steamy helmet: the best solution to this (and also to fogging up in cold weather): buy a helmet that features a Pinlock-compatible visor. My Arai helmet, with its included Pinlock insert, has never fogged up/steamed up, ever. I love it!

prtfndr
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500

Post by prtfndr » Fri May 25, 2018 10:04 am

I wear frogg toggs however I have a GL1500 with a tall windshield and when caught in the rain the visibility is TERRIBLE! I would like to get others take on a good windshield treatment, I've used rain x but it doesn't work very well. I ride my PC800 alot when it rains cause I can see over the windshield.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Fri May 25, 2018 10:16 am

Store 2 to 4 big plastic yard bags on your bike.
Takes up almost no space or weight.
Cheap and easily replaceable.
Laundry-n-Garbage bag.
Seat rain cover.

:? NO pix... 20 characters.. SHOULD BE GOOD NOW... AY?
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri May 25, 2018 10:26 am

prtfndr wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:04 am
I wear frogg toggs however I have a GL1500 with a tall windshield and when caught in the rain the visibility is TERRIBLE! I would like to get others take on a good windshield treatment, I've used rain x but it doesn't work very well. I ride my PC800 alot when it rains cause I can see over the windshield.
Like I mentioned above, if I know I'm going to be riding in a lot of rain, or a long trip that will likely hit rain, I will prep my windshield and my helmet faceshield with Moto Solutions RainCoat, which causes the water to bead up and run off easily. I too have a tall windshield on my GL1500, and the rain runs right off, instead of beading up. Rain-X should not be used on plastic/acrylic windshields.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
198? Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
198? Honda XL250R
197? Suzuki GT185
197? Suzuki 90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Fri May 25, 2018 4:43 pm

minimac wrote:
Also, the water beads up on the windshield, rolls up to the top, then drops right into your lap. I corrected that by putting some of that door edging stuff they sell rolled up at Wallyworld, on the edge of the windshield. Because I'm a frugal type, I just use the black stuff, but you high rollers could probably spring for the shiny chrome stuff. Now the water beads up, runs to the top, then down the sides.
I noticed this today when my daughter and I got caught in an unexpected, but very light, shower today without any rain gear. We stayed mostly dry and what did drip over didn't land on us, but it was annoyingly landing on the displays. I'm considering your fix, but really thinking I don't want to mess up my sight line. Hmmm
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Fri May 25, 2018 4:50 pm

C-dub wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:43 pm
I noticed this today when my daughter and I got caught in an unexpected, but very light, shower today without any rain gear. We stayed mostly dry and what did drip over didn't land on us, but it was annoyingly landing on the displays. I'm considering your fix, but really thinking I don't want to mess up my sight line. Hmmm
Was this an actress at one time? She never got wet... Saran Wrap. ;)
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special) - sold
2015 Jawa 350 (2-stroke).

Post by brettchallenger » Fri May 25, 2018 5:03 pm

I will prep my windshield and my helmet faceshield
I have been using Rain-X for plastic. Can't say I am impressed with it. Rain doesn't bead particularly well from my screen nor my visor.
Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:53 pm

I use Plexus, seems to bead up pretty good.
~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

DCTruncale
Motorcycle: current: 2012 Honda Goldwing (Navigation)
formerly: 2007 Kawasaki VN1600 Nomad
1995 Kawasaki VN88 (1500) Vulcan
1998 Suzuki Intruder 800
1976 Honda CB 500 T
1972 Honda CB 175

Post by DCTruncale » Fri May 25, 2018 7:43 pm

C-dub wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:43 pm
minimac wrote:
Also, the water beads up on the windshield, rolls up to the top, then drops right into your lap. I corrected that by putting some of that door edging stuff they sell rolled up at Wallyworld, on the edge of the windshield. Because I'm a frugal type, I just use the black stuff, but you high rollers could probably spring for the shiny chrome stuff. Now the water beads up, runs to the top, then down the sides.
I have a Taka Recurve windshield which solves that issue (as well as reducing buffeting)
<><david

The Master is coming...
We are not done yet.

nlawless
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by nlawless » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:04 am

I can echo Wingadmin on two parts: The Raincoat works wonders on the helmet shield and windshield. And invest in a Pinlock shield for your helmet. Works awesome in the rain and in the cold...never have I fogged and i don’t have to crack the shield unless I want some rain drops showering in. For gear, I have found the Olympia jackets with their rain layer is great. Never wet. My wife has an Olympia jacket also and Revit pants with a similar insert. She has not gotten wet. I have Olympia cold/wet weather gloves that are also excellent. I haven’t had to use them in the summer much but at 60F and rain, very nice.
I’ve also started using the Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish which does a good job of beading off the windshield. If I’m in rainy season or know it’s going to be raining on my trip, the Raincoat goes on. it lasts longer.
Riding: increase your distance to other vehicles, slow down, and avoid those white stripes at crosswalks, and the center traffic lane, etc. Like others, I’ve ridden in some pretty amazing rain (not by choice) and the bike doesn’t care.
Good riding!

Bass2Bass
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 30 anniversary

Post by Bass2Bass » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:57 am

FAT MAN 65 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:46 pm
Hello everyone. I would like to hear you guys take on the rain. I haven't ridden in the rain very much. Don't really want to. What do you wear,and do you wear your full face helmets? I wear glasses. Also these hot days in showers is murder. How do you see? THANKS
I've been riding since I was 13 years old, so riding in ALL types of weather for me is no big deal (rain, sun and snow!). I hate riding when the roads are icy so I'll wait for them to warm up before riding! (Safety first and your level of riding skill plays a part, so be careful before venturing out in adverse weather... I have a 2004 30th edition 1800 GW, and have ridden hundreds of miles in the rain at one time. sometimes without rain gear, and as you say, it's no fun... My wife and I looked everywhere for quality rain gear... We went to local Honda stores and I'm sad to say they have bad gear... So a friend of mine works in a Harley shop here in Raleigh, so we went there and purchased great rain gear for the two of us. The day before yesterday we had the remnants of a tropical storm pass through and we still went for a 200 mile ride through it. Wearing the Harley outfits, we were as dry as a bone and warm as toast in this gear...(Just mentioning it, not promoting it). You have to select the right gear for your area, and all weather conditions otherwise it can become miserable. So I ride in the rain on my Honda with Harley rain gear... I have it stowed with my bike cover in my right storage area. Be prepared...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:02 am

I carry Olympia Horizon Rain Gear in one of my saddlebags everywhere I go (link leads to my review). It folds up small enough to carry easily without using up precious cargo space, yet works perfectly to keep you completely dry in the worst weather.