Just bought a 1986 Aspencade! Any thing I should know?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tompen
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Just bought a 1986 Aspencade! Any thing I should know?

Postby tompen » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:32 am

I just bought my first full size Goldwing. I'm selling my CX650 (mini Goldwing) My wife has hip problems riding on the smaller bike. If this bike works out, we can always upgrade. I just dropped the bike off at my Honda dealer to have all of the fluids flushed. The first response from mt dealer was he was pretty impressed by the good condition of the bike. It's got 40K miles on it. Any tips or things I should know about the bike? Can't wait for spring!

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Just bought a 1986 Espancade! Any thing I should know?

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:29 am

First off ,welcome to one great site,and congratulations on the new wing. I'm not to far from you here in Sheboygan, Wi.
In buying a bike like that would be nice if you knew how it was taken care of and all maintaince issue's, like belts, filters ..
Sounds like you found a dealer that can take care of your new Bike, and that you and the wife will have plenty of miles of fun
in the future. Take the time to check out all the fine maintence repairs on your model bike on this site.

How many miles have you drove so far, if any ?

WA9FWT Phil

tompen

Postby tompen » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:42 am

Phil, thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunetly I don't have any info on it's history. I can only go by the looks of the bike. It starts very easy and sounds good. The bike looks like it was well cared for. I guess history will tell. Yes, I'm about 100 miles straight north of you. Miles on the bike - a total of 1. I took it out on the road last week when I went to load it on the trailer. I just got it 3 weeks ago.
Thanks for the info.
Tom

arkansassuperdrafter
Motorcycle: 1985 Gl1200 Interstate
1986 Gl1200 Interstate

Postby arkansassuperdrafter » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:45 am

Welcome to the site from Southwest Arkansas. I have a 86 Interstate and have really enjoyed working on it. Had to change the motor due to transmission problems. I'm suprised that you found a dealer that would work on it. If you don't know if the timing belts have been changed, then I think it would be a good idea to do so. If you do any work on it yourself, you can get plenty of help on this site.
Bryce
85 and 86 Interstates

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:04 pm

tompen wrote:Phil, thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunetly I don't have any info on it's history. I can only go by the looks of the bike. It starts very easy and sounds good. The bike looks like it was well cared for. I guess history will tell. Yes, I'm about 100 miles straight north of you. Miles on the bike - a total of 1. I took it out on the road last week when I went to load it on the trailer. I just got it 3 weeks ago.
Thanks for the info.
Tom

Well Tom that is new, 3 weeks ago. Like one poster has just said, a very good idea to check those belts and see what condition they are in. Also the 1200 had issue's with the alternator's failing.There is a quick fix that may help eliminate this issue with
removing a wire connection plug, and connect the wires direct. this you can do, and check it out on this site for that fix.

By the way I go up to your town a lot, in fact going to be up there again by the end of the month. (Not sure on the date )We stay over on Ct
"A " right off of C. Band from Sheboygan will be playing up there at the "Big "O " Old name was Rummers Always like to meet new friends and talk bikes....WA9FWT@excel.net phil

tompen

Postby tompen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:23 pm

Phil, what a small world it is. If I'm around I'll try to make it over to listen to the band and maybe have some bike talk. If you really have time and want to check out my bike and have a brew let me know. I'm 6.5 miles east of Wausaukee. email - tompen50@live.com

canon
Motorcycle: 2003 honda Goldwing

Postby canon » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:48 pm

Good luck on your "New" GW. My first new Gw was a 1986 GW some years back. That's very low miles & would be curious of carb condition. Had to be sitting quite a bit with that low mileage. Other than alternater & fork seals enjoy your ride. I live in OK but grew up in WI & lived in Sheboygan a few years when I worked at Kohler Co.

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:31 pm

canon wrote:Good luck on your "New" GW. My first new Gw was a 1986 GW some years back. That's very low miles & would be curious of carb condition. Had to be sitting quite a bit with that low mileage. Other than alternater & fork seals enjoy your ride. I live in OK but grew up in WI & lived in Sheboygan a few years when I worked at Kohler Co.

Hi Canon
Nice to meet you, I sent you a PM, check your mail.....
Phil WA9FWT

tompen

Re: Just bought a 1986 Aspencade! Any thing I should know?

Postby tompen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:39 pm

WA9FWT wrote:
canon wrote:Good luck on your "New" GW. My first new Gw was a 1986 GW some years back. That's very low miles & would be curious of carb condition. Had to be sitting quite a bit with that low mileage. Other than alternater & fork seals enjoy your ride. I live in OK but grew up in WI & lived in Sheboygan a few years when I worked at Kohler Co.

Hi Canon
Phil WA9FWT

Thanks for the feedback Canon,
I took the bike to my local Honda dealer and had all the fluids flushed and new timing belts installed. So far so good. Hadn't had a chance to ride it yet. Tonight the weather man is predicting -30F wind chills! A little cool even for the snowmobile.
Thanks,

Tom

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Just bought a 1986 Aspencade! Any thing I should know?

Postby thrasherg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:49 am

tompen wrote:
WA9FWT wrote:

Hi Canon
Phil WA9FWT

Thanks for the feedback Canon,
I took the bike to my local Honda dealer and had all the fluids flushed and new timing belts installed. So far so good. Hadn't had a chance to ride it yet. Tonight the weather man is predicting -30F wind chills! A little cool even for the snowmobile.
Thanks,

Tom

Now I know why everytime I move it's alwazys further south!! Will arrive at the equator with another 2 moves!! Then where do I go? I hate the cold.. Congrats on the new bike, hope you have a lot of fun riding it..

Gary

saltydog
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby saltydog » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:34 pm

I think you will find that it is an Aspencade, not Espencade. The Honda guys will look at you funny if you call it Espencade.

tompen

Postby tompen » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:05 pm

saltydog wrote:I think you will find that it is an Aspencade, not Espencade. The Honda guys will look at you funny if you call it Espencade.

Yep, I noted that as soon as I posted it. sorry about that.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”