HID Headlights???

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

HID Headlights???

Postby N2PPN » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:22 pm

Anyone ever install an after-market HID headlight system (Dual Beam Hi/Lo Specifically) in their Wing??
I just bought one for my wife's car (a 2004 Hyundai Sonata) and it was really "plug and play"... has HID technology evolved to the motorcycle world yet?? Would it be futile to expect an HID system to withstand the vibrations of motorcycling, especially with respect to the dual output bulb??

I am not looking to make the bike look too different, as I would like to place a 5000K HID lamp in the fairing's OEM headlight housing on my 1981 GL1100 and the 5000K is "bright white" as opposed to the 6000K I put in my wife's car for a little more daylight (blueish) color...

Any experiences or info on this subject would be greatly appreciated...

Happy New Year
Ride Safe,

Rich

Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: HID Headlights???

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:41 pm

HID bulbs, unlike regular incandescent bulbs, are not that affected by vibration, as they don't have a filament. The light is produced by an arc of brightly glowing plasma, created by arcing electricity through a gas envelope.

The main problem with HID bulbs on our motorcycles is that the switching power supplies used to generate the high voltages they require emit quite a bit of RF and AF noise into the electrical system - and the audio (radio, CB, intercom) systems on our bikes are quite sensitive to electrical noise. You may find that you have a high-pitched whine in your headsets or through your speakers everywhere you go.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:48 pm

I am in the middle of a HID conversion of my 82 ASPY right now,only issue I see so far is the bulb is a little too long on the back side to fit into the fairing with out drilling a hole in the plastic. I am going to check out some of the new headlights at the parts store to see if I can find one that isnt as deep from the front of the lense to where the bulb is mounted.
The Bi-xenon bulbs (hi and low beam) use an electro magnet to move the bulb itself to give you Hi and Low .That magnet on the back end of the bulb will hit the fairing before the stock headlamp is seated in the fairing all the way.
I dont think that vibration is going to be an issue,I use HID lights in my work truck and it sees way more vibration than my bike does.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:51 am

Got my HID kit today... opted for the low beam only as I have two driving lights (also soon to be HID'd) that I use for high beams... no electrical noise from the ballast and SUPER bright (opted for the 6000K bulb to get the "slight" blue tint)

Can't wait to try it out later tonight (after the extreme temperatures here in NY subside)

Here is a pic:

HID'd 1981 GL1100i
HID'd 1981 GL1100i

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

miroku800
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100I (Now gone)
2006 GL1800

Postby miroku800 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 am

RoadRogue wrote:I am in the middle of a HID conversion of my 82 ASPY right now,only issue I see so far is the bulb is a little too long on the back side to fit into the fairing with out drilling a hole in the plastic. I am going to check out some of the new headlights at the parts store to see if I can find one that isnt as deep from the front of the lense to where the bulb is mounted.
The Bi-xenon bulbs (hi and low beam) use an electro magnet to move the bulb itself to give you Hi and Low .That magnet on the back end of the bulb will hit the fairing before the stock headlamp is seated in the fairing all the way.
I dont think that vibration is going to be an issue,I use HID lights in my work truck and it sees way more vibration than my bike does.

I have just made the conversion on my 1100 and came up against the same problem and discovered that the big nut would in fact fasten without removing anything from the fairing but not go all the way, then I discovered that the adjustment wouldnt work as the bulb was locked tight against the fairing, so I thought I might just heat the back of the fairing behind the bulb with a heat gun and push it out when soft with a round wooden ball (just to give some relief) but before I tried that just out of daftness I stuck the large washer from the nut side onto the threaded shaft first then offered up the head light and found I could still get the nut on (just) and tighten it up, the headlight held fine and all the adjuster works
That only left the adjusting knob and I found that it was about 6mm too long so removed the 'thin skirt' from the open end and refitted it locking it onto the shaft as normal with the bolt
all now works as it should with no mods to the bike and i could remove it at a later stage and go back to stock with the only difference being the big black adjust knob will be a little short towards the back of the fairing but as its hidden behind the forks no-one will notice
hope this helps
Rob

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:04 am

I thought HID bulbs required a completely different shape of reflector to correctly focus the light? It sounds like several people have fitted HID's but no-one has said if it actually gave a better range than the stuck bulb? Anyone care to chime in, do HID conversions actually allow you to see further/better than the stock setup? I also understood that the HID requires a little time to warm up and produce full intensity, so how does that work for those running hi/lo beam HID's? I assume you do not leave the lo on all the time, so what is the transition from lo beam to hi beam like? Are you left in the dark for a few seconds, or do you not notice anything?

Gary

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:20 am

thrasherg wrote:I thought HID bulbs required a completely different shape of reflector to correctly focus the light? It sounds like several people have fitted HID's but no-one has said if it actually gave a better range than the stuck bulb? Anyone care to chime in, do HID conversions actually allow you to see further/better than the stock setup? I also understood that the HID requires a little time to warm up and produce full intensity, so how does that work for those running hi/lo beam HID's? I assume you do not leave the lo on all the time, so what is the transition from lo beam to hi beam like? Are you left in the dark for a few seconds, or do you not notice anything?

The HID bulbs normally do require a different reflector, but the "aftermarket" bulbs try to approximate the filament position of a typical halogen bulb with the position of the plasma arc - so while it's not perfect, it's reasonably close. The light output is significantly higher, and as long as you have it adjusted so as to not dazzle oncoming drivers, it can definitely improve your vision down the road.

HID bulbs do take a while to warm up - on my truck, in the winter, they can take up to 30 seconds to come up to full brightness. The HID bulbs that replace two-filament high/low beam halogens actually just stay on all the time. Whereas standard halogen bulbs have a separate, higher-wattage high-beam filament that is positioned differently within the bulb so as to engage the reflector differently, the HID bulbs employ a small electromagnet, that physically moves the bulb in and out to reposition it within the reflector when high or low beams are selected.

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:46 pm

Today I finished upgrading the driving lights on my '81 to HID.

Removed the 35W 12V Halogen lamps (previously downgraded from 55W) and replaced them with 35W HID lamps and ballasts (Placed the ballasts under fairing lowers attached to down tubes)... tried a few different hook ups to use the driving lights for my hi beams and then remembered the brown "running light" wire in the fairing at the headlight harness... voila! now my headlight stays on all the time (it's a single beam HID) and the driving lights come on when I hit the high beam switch on the handlebar (controlled through a high power relay)... Now I can be seen from space!!!

Can't wait to see how it looks at night on a dark night with no streetlights...

Here's two pics in the bright sunlight in the driveway:

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:55 pm

N2PPN wrote:Can't wait to see how it looks at night on a dark night with no streetlights...

Me too! Post some pictures!

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:44 pm

So where did you buy your HID kits? I just bought a kit from coolbulbs for my ford expedition, took me about an hour to install the 2 ballast units, secure the wiring and check they worked!! Loved the look and was all excited :D . Two days later, neither of my headlights worked :cry: , converted them back to halogen whilst I contacted the seller ( http://www.coolbulbs.com/ ), they had me run a few tests and decided the master relay unit had failed and sent another one :roll: . I plugged it in, but nothing worked, they then decided they would send me a new wiring kit to make sure it was not a wiring failure :lol: . The new wiring kit arrived with a new master relay, I plugged it all in and everything worked!! I was happy again!! :lol: 24 hours later and the passenger side headlight doesn't work!! :o I ran the same test again and it seems the ballast unit on the passenger side has died, apply 12 volts and nothing happens!! :roll: Whilst the customer support from coolbulbs has been great, the quality of their product seems very poor to me. I am returning everything to them and have asked for a full refund. I like the look of the HID lights, so I wanted to know where you have purchased your units in the hope I might get something that operates longer than 48 hours before failing. :mrgreen:

Regards Gary

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:30 pm

I used a kit from http://hidcountry.com ,It wasnt a MC kit that I used it was just a H4 kit for any car/truck that took that style bulb. It was a Bi-xenon type bulb for Hi/Lo. That just means there is a electromagnet that moves the relative position of the arc to give you Hi/Lo beams, there is a metal shroud around the bulb to give a nice sharp cut off line. My kit cost me about $60 a couple years ago for my 1100. The light out put was fantastic, clear white light. Reaches much farther down the road,shows eyeshine much sooner. I am going to order a kit up for my 1500 this winter. Can never have too much light out front. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Steev
Motorcycle: 2013, F 700 GS

Postby Steev » Sat May 25, 2013 1:30 pm

RoadRogue wrote:I used a kit from http://hidcountry.com ,It wasnt a MC kit that I used it was just a H4 kit for any car/truck that took that style bulb. It was a Bi-xenon type bulb for Hi/Lo. That just means there is a electromagnet that moves the relative position of the arc to give you Hi/Lo beams, there is a metal shroud around the bulb to give a nice sharp cut off line. My kit cost me about $60 a couple years ago for my 1100. The light out put was fantastic, clear white light. Reaches much farther down the road,shows eyeshine much sooner. I am going to order a kit up for my 1500 this winter. Can never have too much light out front. 8-)

I am using DDM 35 & 55W Dual Motorcycle HID Kit. And it is only $29. It is up to 40% brighter than standard OEM.

Steev
Motorcycle: 2013, F 700 GS

Postby Steev » Sun May 26, 2013 2:11 am

Steev wrote:
RoadRogue wrote:I used a kit from http://www.robustbuy.com/lighting-syste ... 5_653.html ,It wasnt a MC kit that I used it was just a H4 kit for any car/truck that took that style bulb. It was a Bi-xenon type bulb for Hi/Lo. That just means there is a electromagnet that moves the relative position of the arc to give you Hi/Lo beams, there is a metal shroud around the bulb to give a nice sharp cut off line. My kit cost me about $60 a couple years ago for my 1100. The light out put was fantastic, clear white light. Reaches much farther down the road,shows eyeshine much sooner. I am going to order a kit up for my 1500 this winter. Can never have too much light out front. 8-)

I am using DDM 35 & 55W Dual Motorcycle HID Kit. And it is only $29. It is up to 40% brighter than standard OEM.

Sorry the price was $39..not 29

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Tue May 28, 2013 6:19 am

I'm another who has converted to HID - man, what a difference!

*I used a kit from SpeedMetal - about $50
*Due to the longer bulb length, I simply used a hole saw to cut a hole in the fairing and sealed it with a PVC pipe cap. Paint it black and it looks like it came from the factory that way.
*I added an on/off switch to prevent the on/off/on cycling when starting the bike. Simple solution to ensure bulb longevity.
*I located the ballast and relay behind the turn signal in the fairing; kinda tight quarters, but everything fits.

The isn't a valid reason for NOT doing this - we need to do everything possible to remain visible to the distracted cage drivers.......

--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

Return to “Goldwing Chat”